Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Help with purchase
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:55 pm 
recent arrival

Hi
I'm in the process of buying my first kayak and I want it to be an IK.
My VS are 56 years old 200lbs 5'11" in pretty good physical shape, lower back issues.
I'm an avid traveler and would like to bring a new element to my travels, kayaking.
I want a solo IK under 25lbs that doesn't have to fit in a carry on size bag however that would be a bonus.
I want a boat that will keep me dry in cold weather, but one that I can drop out of easy and snorkel around and get back into without having to be a contortionist.
I want one that I can fish out of with relative comfort and convenience.
I want a boat that paddles straight, as little wag as possible although I know that this will be a challenge in a 25lb boat.
At this point my budget is 1K although I might go higher on the right boat.
I live in Vancouver BC and travel frequently to SE Asia, Thailand, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Hawaii.
I have been looking at the Innova Swing 1, and the AE Advanced frame Expedition
Any thoughts would be welcomed or perhaps some tips on good used IK that might be for sale?
I have a USA shipping address 98281
Thank you very much for the forum.
John Evans

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:02 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I really like my Innova Safari and Helios 2

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:51 am 
forum fanatic

the innova helios 1 might be an option. it's part-decked so you'll be protected from the elements to a degree but also should be able to get back into it better than a fully decked boat. however, because it's made from the thicker full nitrilon you'll be 4lbs over your goal of 25lbs.

if you're prepared to take that weight hit, I'd also look at innova's discontinued and somewhat unloved 30lb Traveller. The Boat People have it on sale at $699 http://www.theboatpeople.com/solo-touri ... able-kayak (not sure whether it's still available mind you. innova no longer list it on their site and the Boat People are sometimes a little tardy in updating theirs)

Innovas can be easily fitted with a fin/skeg (some come with the patch already glued on but if not it's an easy job to attach it) and this makes them track heaps better. I always use one on my Safari when touring and it tracks straight and true. The Helios and Traveler come with their own drybag/backpack that fits in an airline overhead bin, according to Innova.

The paddling.net website has some pretty useful owner's reviews of boats by various manufacturers and may be worth a look

Gumotex Scout

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:27 am 
recent arrival

Hi
Thank you very much for all the information as I'm trying to make an informed decision.
I like the look and the idea behind the Helios as a good compromise from a closed deck alternative.
The paddling.net website is lots of help too.
Thank you

onsafari wrote:
the innova helios 1 might be an option. it's part-decked so you'll be protected from the elements to a degree but also should be able to get back into it better than a fully decked boat. however, because it's made from the thicker full nitrilon you'll be 4lbs over your goal of 25lbs.

if you're prepared to take that weight hit, I'd also look at innova's discontinued and somewhat unloved 30lb Traveller. The Boat People have it on sale at $699 http://www.theboatpeople.com/solo-touri ... able-kayak (not sure whether it's still available mind you. innova no longer list it on their site and the Boat People are sometimes a little tardy in updating theirs)

Innovas can be easily fitted with a fin/skeg (some come with the patch already glued on but if not it's an easy job to attach it) and this makes them track heaps better. I always use one on my Safari when touring and it tracks straight and true. The Helios and Traveler come with their own drybag/backpack that fits in an airline overhead bin, according to Innova.

The paddling.net website has some pretty useful owner's reviews of boats by various manufacturers and may be worth a look