Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:21 pm 
recent arrival

Hi everyone,

I am a beginner and I just purchased my first inflatable kayak. I did not want to spend much on my first kayak, so I bought a used Sevylor Tahiti Professional kayak. After taking it out a few times, it developed a pinhole leak, so I went down to Potomac Paddlesports (a local kayak specialty shop) and bought a PVC inflatable boat repair kit. Then I applied the patch and the adhesive per the instructions. I waited. Suddenly instead of a pinhole leak, I now have a huge bulge from that area.

When I deflated the boat, the patch had pulled loose, presumably because of the stretching of that area from the bulge. So I removed it and inflated it again. But only part way. The big bulge is still there and the area actually does feel thinner when I touch it.

Does anyone have any idea what happened? It's a PVC boat. It's a PVC patch kit. The adhesive is specifically labelled "adhesive for PVC boat repair." I can't imagine why a PVC patch on a PVC boat would cause something like this!

Thanks in advance!

Angie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:33 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Might be a cheap or defective patch. Try a different brand. Check at West Marine

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:41 am 
recent arrival

Thank you. But just to be clear, it is not the patch that is bulging. It's the hull of the kayak under the patch.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:03 am 
forum fanatic

It's got to be the adhesive, surely. The term PVC covers a whole range of fabrics in the inflatables world, from the rather flimsy vinyl used in the Sevylor Tahiti to the heavy duty stuff used in things like RIBs that take an outboard motor and that you can whack with a hammer and run over in a truck without damaging. I know next to nothing about PVC adhesives, but my best guess is that the stuff you used was not ideal for the material your boat is made from and has in some way softened and stretched the area surrounding the hole, which is why it feels thinner.

I also have no idea whether it will effect the integrity of the boat if you continue to use it, assuming the bulge is in a place which doesn't affect how the boat performs on the water. I suppose your only option, other than buying a new boat, is to keep on using it and if it pops, chalk it up to experience

Gumotex Scout

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:08 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I don't know that model, but some (all?) Sevylors are made with airtight bladders inside a fabric sleeve. Maybe you could get a replacement for the damaged bladder, rather than scrapping the whole boat? Try Sevylor retailers, or e-mail the company.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:16 am 
forum fanatic

the tahiti isn't made like that mary

Gumotex Scout

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:05 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Okay, thanks, Onsafari. I should have known that if it was as easy as that, someone would have already suggested it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:23 am 
forum fanatic

Think rubber dinghy and you're somewhere close. I had one as my first ever inflatable and it used to spontaneously puncture itself

Gumotex Scout