Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Inflatable Klepper?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:56 pm 
forum fan

Has anyone ever heard of an inflatable Klepper? Google doesnt seem know of any.

I German bloke is selling an inflatable which he claims is a Klepper, I've asked for a model name / number and some pics, waiting to hear back. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jono

Post subject: Re: Inflatable Klepper?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:36 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

ReKlep wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of an inflatable Klepper? Google doesnt seem know of any.

I German bloke is selling an inflatable which he claims is a Klepper, I've asked for a model name / number and some pics, waiting to hear back. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jono

Maybe a Grabner?

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:38 pm 
Site Admin

There never was an inflatable Klepper, to my knowledge. Maybe he's using "Klepper" in then generic sense, as a foldable boat.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:50 am 
forum fan

Thanks for the responses Chuck and Michael. It turns out its a Barum Tigerhai 2000. He's asking $150. Does anyone here have any experience with these boats?
Cheers,
Jono

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:54 am 
forum fanatic

I have a Barum Albatros. No idea how old it is but I'd say 20+ years. Barum is what Gumotex (Innova in the US) used to be called - the Tigerhai may even be dual branded 'Barum Sico' and 'Gumotex'. I only paid £60 for mine and for that price I couldn't not buy it but even so, it's in pretty good condition. There are no repairs to it, even though it has clearly been quite well used, and it all looks pretty new. It paddles nicely as well, although this design with the permanent central deck dodger is not ideal for solo paddling

The main differences between it and a modern Gumotex are: the side tubes use the old 'Junior' style of valve which are OK but not great and the floor uses a length of rubber tubing with a stopper in it instead of a proper valve. I'm assuming this is a deliberate tactic to avoid the i-beams being blown. It's also lighter than a comparably sized modern Gumotex, presumably because it's made from a thinner material. (I know that Gumotex used to offer two thicknesses of nitrilon so possibly they did the same when they were called Barum.) The Tigerhai broadly corresponds to the Gumotex (Innova) Helios of the 2000s but is probably not identical. It may come with a stern mounted rudder, but if not the currentish Helios one should do, possibly with a bit of modification. Alternatively, you could glue one of the current Gumotex fin kits to the hull using Bostik two part or similar.

Edit: sorry, I just saw that you're in Oz so probably haven't heard of Gumotex/Innova. They're made in the Czech Republic and sold as Gumotex in Australia and New Zealand (NZ IK manufacturer Incept sell them - www.incept.co.nz) and are well-respected as good, no-nonsense boats. They're tough, light and pack down pretty small. Any accessories you need - like a fin - can be got from Gumotex stockists in the UK who post worldwide

Gumotex Scout

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:42 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

In the 1978 Klepper America price list, no association to the present Klepper America, (this earlier one was based at Union Square West in New York). There is an inflatable kayak which apparently was sold by Klepper, it was called the "Skate" and made by Metzeler. The length was 13 feet made for white water and weighed 35lb, it cost $420 .