Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:53 am 
forum fanatic

Hi there,

Looking for a backpackable inflatable for South African river exploration project next year. Am following a lead on a used Innova Safari but before I spring for it, I want to know how small the boat is when packed? Could it be easily transported on a mountain bike or in a backpack?

And how tough are they?

I would use an Alpacka Explorer packraft but the prospect of spending $1000 (before shipping and pillaging customs) on a boat makes me unhappy.

Would appreciate any pointers, advice and comments.

cheers

Paul

Folbot Greenland II, now at a new home on the Southern Cape coast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:48 am 
forum fanatic

Yes, no problem. It comes in its own 70 or 80 litre backpack/drybag, so that kind of answers your question really. The folded dims of the current model are 53cm × 38cm × 24cm and the nature of the material used means that these are achievable in the real world.

In terms of toughness, I've never come close to puncturing mine but use it mostly in the sea rather than in rivers. This vid should give you some idea of their robustness and performance http://vimeo.com/59394941

An explorer named Kira Salak paddled one 600 miles down the West Niger river http://adventure.innovakayak.com/2010/0 ... afari.html

The big difference though between the Alpacka and the Safari is weight. The Alpacka is only 2.7kg and the Safari is 12.5kg. Whether that influences your decision is, I suppose, down to how far you'll have to carry it

Gumotex Scout

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:18 am 
forum fanatic

onsafari wrote:
The big difference though between the Alpacka and the Safari is weight. The Alpacka is only 2.7kg and the Safari is 12.5kg. Whether that influences your decision is, I suppose, down to how far you'll have to carry it

Thanks for the reply. Carrying it on foot could be an issue, but it's less of a problem on the bike. The biggest influence on my decision will be price - the boat I'm pursuing is $350, but then there's shipping to factor in. The Alpacka will certainly cost less to ship. But the price is eyewatering in this soft currency.

Thanks for the information.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:42 am 
forum fanatic

no probs. it might be worth dropping Chris a line here https://apaddleinmypack.wordpress.com. He's both a gumotex and packraft fan and should be able to give you some more useful tips

Gumotex Scout

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:07 am 
forum fanatic

onsafari wrote:
no probs. it might be worth dropping Chris a line here https://apaddleinmypack.wordpress.com. He's both a gumotex and packraft fan and should be able to give you some more useful tips

Yep, Chris and I have corresponded in the past, mostly over the relative merits (or should that be demerits :twisted: of the Feathercraft Java - he had one and I still have one ... sadly it's definitely not backpackable, at least not if I'm going to carry other gear such as tent, stove and chow.)

I think his Aussie packrafting trips are epic - and are one of the inspirations behind my forthcomimg expedition.

I see he's on the forum now too - previous post about the Seawave is him. I think.

Cheers and thanks,

Paul