Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:01 pm 
recent arrival

Hello, looking for a truly "packable" inflatable kayak that will be usable on flatwater for 2 people, 350-400lbs max capacity. Looking for THE lightest option out there, it seems like 20lbs should be a reasonable weight to shoot for...

I picked up a beaten up sea eagle 330 which should weigh around 26lbs. haven't patched it up yet but still a little heavy, bulky, and a lot less durable looking for what I would like... maybe it will serve the purpose until I can find, make or modify a truly ideal boat.

I used to own an innova helios 2, around 36 lbs, WAY to heavy and bulky to pack in... because of this I didn't use it enough and sold it.

I once paddled in an old sevylor tahiti pool toy, apparently ~23-25lbs, about the same as the sea eagle 330 I assume perhaps packs smaller but not by much?

I see the "puffin 2" foldable is apparently around 22lbs, but I wonder how small it packs down, if anyone realistically backpacks miles with one....and I don't think I would be willing to put up with the tedious 20-30min+ setup...

I ordered a advance elements packlite (single) at around 7lbs! and want to just see it and check it out. We REALLY want a tandem and not 2 singles though! Haven't received it yet.

Considering other options such as making my own, removing bulk or outer covering/tubes seats etc from some other products on the market (ANY suggestions?!) or a packraft such as the explorer 42 or kokopelli twain....

ANY advice, thoughts, or any products I missed would be greatly appreciated

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:16 pm 
faltbootemeister

If light weight is most important check out: http://www.alpackaraft.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:58 am 
forum fanatic

The SE 330 is sort of one rung up from a Sevylor Tahiti. Thicker, but still vinyl so prone to seam failures and pin holes.

Innova/Gumotex does the Twist 2. Historically this was made from Innova's LitePack material which is OK but not as durable as full nitrilon but crucially it only weighs 22.5 lbs and, according to The Boat People, its "boxed size from the factory is a mere 1-1/8 cubic feet (9" X 12" X 18")". The Boat People have it on special at the moment at $439 http://www.theboatpeople.com/tandem-tou ... able-kayak. Couple of reviews of the Double on paddling.net http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showRev ... ?prod=2632

In Europe, they improved the design a bit fitted better seats and started making it out of Light Nitrilon from the start of last year. Light Nitrilon is a step up from LitePack but still not as durable as full Nitrilon. This has added a few pounds and it now weighs in at 26 lbs. The folded dims are 20x15x8 in; a little bigger than its predecessor but still small. As you probably remember from the Helios, Innova/Gumotex quoted packed dimensions are achievable in the real world with not too much problem. It seems like in the US you're getting Light Nitrilon as standard instead of Lite Pack now, with AirKayaks selling the double at $550. Boatpark in the Czech Republic is doing it for $380 - that's including VAT, which you don't pay, but excluding shipping, which you do. I think it works out that the VAT and shipping largely cancel one another out, so you should probably be able to get it for around $400 delivered. Have a read around this forum, a few people in the US who post here have successfully bought from Boatpark

Gumotex Scout

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:24 pm 
recent arrival

Thanks for the heads up on the twist 2! That sounds like exactly what we have been looking for...

I have been considering a packraft but not quite ready to spend 900+ unless im pretty sure it is what we want. The kokopelli twain packraft is a little cheaper than the alpacas or the custom pr-49.

As a side note i removed the front and back inflatable spray deck pieces with the rope from the 330 sea eagle, and it weighed in at 19lbs without seats.I think i might replace the front spray deck with a nylon/etc spray deck in front and possibly incorporate a sail batten to help hold the tubes apart.

I am looking for suggestions for a couple of cheap "aftermarket" seat options that are as light as possible asmy sea eagle didnt come with any. I think inflatable would be best to try to jold the side tubes apart a little more.

Also considering trying to remove most of the extra blue molded plastic/rubber rope tie downs pieces front and back and perhaps the skregs on the bottom also. Are there any solvents that might be able toremove factory attached pieces like this without weakening the underlying pvc too much? Thoughts or ideas?

Ultamatley the sea eagle 330 is still going to be a little bulky, even if we are able to remove the skegs, so, again, seems like the twist 2 might be perfect..

Thanks for all the input. Great forum you all have here!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:17 am 
forum fanatic

I might be wandering off too far into niche nerd territory, but it's perhaps worth keeping an eye out for an old, old gumotex on ebay or whatever. As per my signature I have a Barum Albatros that was made ages ago when Gumotex was Barum-Gumotex. Back in the day, Gumotex used to use two thicknesses of nitrilon: 500 denier as standard and 1200 for extra strength, which was signified with the addition of EX after the name (so Sunny EX, Helios EX etc). The Albatros is the forerunner of the Gumotex Helios 340 (Gumotex used to do the Helios in two lengths; 340cm and 380cm) and is clearly made from the thinner material. As a result, the packed size is very small and the weight is only 10.6kg (23lbs). Even though it's decades old, it's still in good condition and hasn't been patched or anything and would certainly fit the bill for what you're looking for. You'll probably never see one but if you do, snap it up!

I guess you could do what you've done to the SE330 and remove the stern and bow dodgers and central thwart thing to leave a lightweight bare boat. Ah, I'm getting carried away. I'll stop now

As for seats, Sea Eagle sells them on their website. The direct replacement is $24 or the 'deluxe' version is $49. Think the $24 option is considerably lighter

No idea on the solvent question, but my gut feeling is that it's unlikely.

Gumotex Scout

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:14 pm 
recent arrival

So I bought a used double twist on ebay. it seems it is an older model and unfortunately weighs around 24.5 lbs without the skeg. more than the sea eagle 330. No way to really reduce the weight by stripping off anything. I'm wondering if this is the typical (I think my old helios was the same way) "optimistic" weight specs, or if the newer ones actually do weigh a little less.

I am also considering the idea of giving up on tandem and going with 2 advance elements packlite kayaks at around 7lbs ea. Also going to be keeping my eyes out for used tandem packrafts, and open to suggestions as to which models would be the best to watch for (truly tandem, and best paddling efficiency).

That said I do like innova double twist, it does roll up/pack down to a nice compact size. Probably smaller than the sea eagle. It seems durable and I like the shape and handling of the boat. I don't think I will be taking it on many too many backpacking trips, but would make a great dinghy for a small sailboat etc.