Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:47 pm 
recent arrival

Hi all, this is my first post here.

I'm looking for a tandem inflatable to use for lakes and rivers up to Class II (edit: removed Class III). Where I plan to frequent, I'm more concerned about submerged branches and broken beer bottles than whitewater, tbh. I'd prefer the capacity to be at least 400 lbs.

Currently, I really like the AdvancedFrame tandem by Advanced Elements (capacity 550lbs), which I can get for $700 on Amazon (free shipping), but at 15' it might be more boat than I want when going solo (which will be most of the time).

Some other IKs that seem promising are:

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Update: After speaking to an Aquaglide rep, I'm probably going with the Tandem XL, unless I hear something horrible about it or Aquaglide.

edit: Removed some comments about the Aquaglide kayaks. Spoke to a rep this morning and the bladders are heat-welded and replaceable.

Last edited by realparksnrec on Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:47 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Are you positive that Aquaglide can have the seats moved around to use solo? Better check that out before buying. Inflatable tandems are not easy to paddle solo if you can't center the seating position.

Honestly, if you are planning a lot of whitewater I would stick with companies like Aire, who design for those waters. If your budget is constrained, it's always best to shop for used boats -- much better bang for your buck. We tend to recommend beginning boaters do that anyway because it will take some time paddling before you actually know what you want from size and performance. Most avid paddlers upgrade to different models withint the first few years and you lose a lot less depreciation if you start out with a used boat.

If you are determined to buy new, you might want to consider the Innovas. like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2016-Innova ... SwU1FXQJtM

The Advanced Elements Straitedge 2 tandem would cover all your requirements but it is over $800 new -- you might find a use one or one on sale for less.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:56 pm 
recent arrival

KerryOnKayaks wrote:
Are you positive that Aquaglide can have the seats moved around to use solo?

Hi Kerry, thanks for responding. Aquaglide has something they call "Infinite Adjustment," basically two velcro strips that run the length of the deck. You can see them in the photos.

KerryOnKayaks wrote:
Honestly, if you are planning a lot of whitewater

No serious whitewater, just lakes and milder rivers. I don't want to get into anything above Class II, tbh. (I edited my op)

KerryOnKayaks wrote:
If you are determined to buy new, you might want to consider the Innovas.

Nice boat. How do you think it compares to the comparably priced Aquaglide Chinook Tandem XL? That's the one I'm leaning towards atm.

I've been looking at used boats on CL, but I'm not seeing any inflatables beyond cheap Sevylors. Plenty of sit-on-tops and hard shells, of course. Those are what I've always used, as well as canoes. This would be my first inflatable.

Do you know of any other resources for used kayaks, especially folding and inflatables?

Thanks again :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:49 pm 
faltbootemeister

Kerry's suggestion to buy used is sound thinking. Along that line, you could consider demoes or refurbished kayaks. A site that has all that and more is AirKayaks.com. Also, if you are determined to get an Aquaglide, they are having a 20% off sale on all Aquaglide kayaks.