Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Frame repairs
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:58 am 
Hi,
We've got a slightly unusual kayak - a Amphibian MK3 Commando Kayak - which was designed and built for the Australian navy. The frame is a high strength plastic/fibreglass foam sandwich, resin-injected. It's been a great kayak but we're having problems with the frame cracking where the folding joints are fixed.
I'd be grateful for any suggestions on ways to mend and reinforce these.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Frame repairs
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:47 pm 
forum fanatic

Hello there. were are you located and how did you get hold of a Mk 3 Amphibian.

A composite boat builder or even a rowing shell builder may be able to help with frame repairs.

Love to see some pictures of the boat.

Tim W

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:46 am 
Dude!!! :P We were having quite a discussion about these boats a little over a year ago. I'd really need to see pics of your frame and boat parts before I could offer any speculation on repairs. It's very probable replacement parts could be fashioned out of HD plastic similar to Feathercraft uses, -just speculation. I'm slightly confused as to the exact specs and design of your frame parts.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:10 pm 
Thanks for your replies and sorry for my slow response - It's been a while since I checked the forum. I've met a guy who has rebuilt a couple of International Canoes and he thinks we can fix it with some careful epoxy/fibreglass work. I'll let you know how it goes.
I've had the kayak for about 5 years now. I'm from the UK but spent a couple of years out in NZ and came across an advert for a Klepper Aerius II. My wife had used one of these out in the Bahamas and really liked it so we decided to check it out. When we saw it it obviously wasn't an Aerius but it looked in good condition so we decided to buy it anyway. The guy we'd bought it from said that the Australian navy had sold off a batch and some had ended up in NZ. It took me a long time to find out what it actually was and then finally I came across this article - http://www.nswseakayaker.asn.au/magazin ... hibian.htm - and we finally knew what we had.
We've taken it on a number of trips around NZ and, now we're back in the UK, around the coast of Wales and some inland touring. All the hype about it's sea worthiness is well justified. It's not the fastest but it's as stable as an oil tanker and at 60kg is not that much lighter. Performance aside it's still great to own something with such an interesting history.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:40 pm 
forum fanatic

Hello Fritch, thanks for the reply. I hope you are able to effect a satisfactory repair.
Interesting that even with the composite frames it is still heavier than the equivalent
Long Haul or Klepper, I guess the drive for durability would be responsible, all though
the boats would be now 25 years old and you would think most of them would have been
retired from service.

It would be interesting to see a few pictures of the boat especially the underside
and the twin keelson.

Your boat is the only one I know of in private hands and there is one in the Australian
Maritime Museum, that means there are potentially 118 out there although it
is highly likely not all boats survived their service.

Tim w

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:25 pm 
Hi there,
Again - a while since I looked at the forum....I've been busy making a S+G kayak (which doesn't fold. Hopefully.)
I've put some pictures of the Amphibian on Flickr. If you do a search they should come up.
Repair went well by the way, though I've been trying to fold/unfold it as little as possible to keep the stress on the joints to a minimum.
All the best,
fritch