Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for
It is currently Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:31 pm 
Hey there,

I'm new to the list although I have lurked a bit in the past. I have a '60s era Arius II that I picked up very cheaply several years ago. it's a rubberized hull and I have been using it, but my last trip to Catalina Island last week was really the last time it can go in the water. The seepage has become too bad to use without a wet butt almost immediately, and I am starting to wonder about the strength of the underlying canvas. The blue deck is in excellent shape though.

So I am left with some options:

1: purchase a new polish skin, +-$500
2: Send old skin to Long Haul for a rebuild, +- 1k (but beautiful work, I saw one recently)
3: Roll my own...
4: Sell the frame and be done with it.

I cannot afford 1 and 2 as I have a kid leaving for college in the fall, a mumble(m0rtgage...Edit changes it to mumble!) from hell ,and gas is $4.50 a gallon around here. So I keep looking at roll your own.

I have these heavy duty reinforced Vinyl billboards that are 14'x48' single piece, and I know they glue up well with HH 66 as I build carport and shade covers out of them for burning Man. They are utterly water tight too. I guess the real question is should I try to re-use the old deck? or should I make a new one, with all the difficulty involved with that?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by scalman on Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:37 pm 
I posted this in Klepper originally and there are a few comments in there but I am moving it here to show the work. I went out and turned the skin inside out and started ripping the deck seams. That's some tough stitching folks, 40 odd years old and hard to cut with an Xacto knife! I got about 2 feet done in an hour and am quite happy with that. I am taking pics so if you want to see the horrors of ripping a beautiful boat apart, you can enjoy.

For the new bottom I have a choice of Gray, black, or white Vinyl Billboard. I am leaning towards the black. I will also need to find the rubber bow and stern pieces. I hear Long haul has them so I sent an email. Also, What holds the rudder mount on? is it just glue? It's tough as nails whatever it is...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:25 am 
scalman wrote:
What holds the rudder mount on? is it just glue? It's tough as nails whatever it is...

Long time ago somebody answered this, probably in the old archives that might not have survived. If memory doesn't fail me, he mentioned some concealed screw and nut. Try and ask on German Faltbote forum - keep it simple, as English is not their language. They will answer, though mostly in German, but you can translate via Google Language Tools.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:36 pm 
I almost have the bow stitching apart. It's really hard to get those ends inside out as the hull is so stiff. It helps to have the deck opened up all the way though. I went ahead and posted there in my broken deutsch. Maybe when I get to the back entd i will be able to see the inside and figure it out.

I had never really looked at the sponsons. They are just big bike tubes. Had no idea they were that durable.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:57 pm 
Hey all,

Making some progress now. I have the starboard side mostly opened up now and found the hidden Allen screw hiding the rudder gudgeon in place. Will post some pics tomorrow showing what I have done.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:03 am 
So how you're doing now, did you repair the hull?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:03 pm 
ALM is right, the rudder yoke is mounted with a 10mm (I think) nut on the inside of the hull. I had to crawl back up into the skin of course to mess with this when I changed my bumpers on my AE II. The rubber bumpers are mounted with neoprene cement. LH sells a very high grade of this stuff. You'll need toluene to prep the rubber and I'm guessing your vinyl will also need to be aggressively sanded (but not down to the cords).

I imagine you should be able to get a decent pattern out of your disassembled hull. Please keep us posted on your progress.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:22 pm 
I had to put the project down for a bit as I have been working out of town. I am back now so will be restarting the take-apart in the near future. Also bought a new sewing machine that does a double needle stitch and will be using that for the vinyl to canvas join.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:19 pm 

How did you make out with you project? Inquiring minds want to know!

Blackhawk Combi Canoe 15' 8"
CLC Chesapeake 16'
Klepper Aerius 2
Klepper T9 / Heise Skin
Pionier 520-Z / Heise Skin
Pouch E65

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:58 am 
scalman wrote:
....,and gas is $4.50 a gallon around here.

That is really cheap as it is $7.50 around here and it was $9 not long ago before the crises.

Yes, you can use the upper canvas deck once again, if still ok.
I doubt if vinyl is sturdy enough, maybe. But gray would be better than black, bec. the combination of black/blue does not really fit together, not enough contrast, even though commonly used on folding kayaks.

Recommended inexpensive material (if no Hypalon available or just too costly) is PVC with Trevira core like manufactured for truck covers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:45 pm 
forum fan

Any further news on your project?

Ex-Military Klepper Aerius II Expedition
1973 Pouch RZ85-2
19ft Chesapeake Light Craft Patuxent
Fiberglass double
3 x Plastic singles
17ft Fiberglass Canadian
Numerous surfboards