Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:43 am 
Hi - I have a very small puncture in one of my sponspons on my 15 year old Klepper Aerius II. I'm not particularly handy and want to make sure that I do not do damage to my beloved boat before I attempt to repair it. Would a bike repair kit do the job? Aquaseal? I see many suggestions on repairing hulls, but if someone could point me to a link specifically on punctures in sponsons I would be most appreciative.
Thanks!
Elena

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:58 pm 
If sponson material is Urethane (on most boats it is), then - Aquaseal. Just a drop, you don't need a patch for pinhole. Old boats might have something rubber-ish in lieu of Urethane.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:30 pm 
Alm wrote:
If sponson material is Urethane (on most boats it is), then - Aquaseal. Just a drop, you don't need a patch for pinhole. Old boats might have something rubber-ish in lieu of Urethane.

X2.

My Aerius II is about the same age as yours and I used just a drop of Aquaseal on it. I also used a small piece of very fine sandpaper to roughen the edges near the hole just a little. That part might not be necessary; it may be a hangover from all the bicycle tubes that I've repaired. I don’t think that it would hurt, but be gentle with it if you do that.

The hardest part (not too hard) of the whole process is threading the sponson back into the sleeve. I used a long thin piece of wooden quarter round molding that I wrapped with duct tape so that it wouldn't catch on something along with a piece of double sided tape which I attached to the front of the sponson. Some people just use a broom handle. I inserted the front of the sponson through a slot in the sleeve near the aft seat, and slowly pushed the sponson to the front. I ultimately had to crawl in to tuck in the last few inches and undo the tape. I repeated the process on the rear part of the sponson.

I now have a handy tool should I ever have to repair one again. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:15 pm 
Thank you both! I feel much more confident to handle this now. I like the idea of the long tool to push the sponsons-- was wondering how I was going to get it back in there as I was pulling it out . . .

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:54 pm 
Make sure sponson doesn;t get twisted when you push it in. You'll see if it does (after inflating it), and repeat the above steps. Longhaul has come up with a good solution - they made extra slots in the sleeve even on their singles, so broom handle isn't necessary. Was handy when I had to repair it in field - probably would've found something like tarp pole, but there was no need.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:19 pm 
Alm wrote:
...Longhaul has come up with a good solution - they made extra slots in the sleeve even on their singles, so broom handle isn't necessary. Was handy when I had to repair it in field - probably would've found something like tarp pole, but there was no need.

That's a great idea, and I'm surprised that the people at Klepper haven't incorporated that feature into their boats as yet. It was the first thing that occurred to me when the time came to put the sponson back in. Maybe in the future, Klepper can copy something from Longhaul for a change. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:41 pm 
Since we've deviated already - I wish Longhaul can copy some things Klepper, beside frame layout and dimensions. Like reduced amount of wood. More wood (and to a lesser degree - heavier metal fittings) is what makes LH boats stronger, but at the same time - heavier. Not everybody needs that much strength if it makes the boat that heavy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:30 pm 
Other than the fact that the frame layout is similar in appearance, as you pointed out, I know very little about the Longhaul boats. I do know that over the years, my Kleppers have, with few exceptions, been strong enough to survive what I’ve put them through. Given that, I also can’t imagine trading more strength for more weight, especially since they sometimes feel too heavy as it is. Maybe I’m just getting old. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:43 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Don,t let anyone kid you, putting a sponson back in a klepper Aerius 2 is EASY, Providing you have the right piece of high tech equipment. It is a slender piece of flexable wood (trim) from the hardware store or DIY place, 3/4 inch wide and 1/4 thick, Mine was 8 ft long (thats how they sold it) you can round the leading point if you want, i didn,t, then put on a piece of Velcro 3/4 wide x 1 1/2 inches long on the wood. On the leading point of the sponson put on a SMALL peice of Velcro put them together and insert it into the place it goes, feed it in gently and it wont twist, When it reaches the end hold the sponson through the deck, give the wood a little twist and he presto the velcro parts and you can gently remove the wood leaving the small piece of velcro on the sponson, repeat for the other end. Broom handles for me are too short, thick and ridgid.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by john allsop on Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:55 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Good idea John, my broom handle did come up a little short and I couldn't keep the sponson on the end of it long enough to get it all the way down in there. I'm not claustrophobic, but getting deep into the end of those hulls always makes me think of those buried alive movies... can't wait to get out.

I had to re-sew the lining of my AII sponson holder in the bow a while back... boy was that a job, turning that hull inside out, phew!

D

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:10 pm 
forum fan

Hi

Unless you want to carry a long thin piece of wood around with you as you paddle.....if you need to reinsert a sponson after a repair then just use the long rods of your frame. Black tape the joints so you don't end up losing one as you are pulling the rods back out. In my Long Haul MKI there is a small piece of velcro securing the end of the sponson in it's tube. I just carry a corresponding piece of velcro in the repair kit and black tape it to the end of the rod. When you have fully inserted the sponson back in it's tube just pull back on the long rod. You might need to put some weight on the end of the boat so the skin does not move as you pull back. I just took a twist out of my port sponson and it took much longer to take the frame out of the boat than it did to pull/reinsert the sponson. Your frame already has the special tool you need to do this evolution.

Oddly I also took a twist out of my starboard sponson just after I bought the boat. It's ten years old and new to me and I'm really curious how both sponsons were twisted in the same location, just forward of the inflation tube fitting.....I just noticed this morning that the port sponson was twisted in exactly the same place and manner. I live on a lake and have left the boat assembled since I got it. With the velcro tabs securing the ends of the sponsons in their tubes I can't imagine how the sponsons were twisted. Oh well.....