Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GORRILA TAPE
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:24 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Has anyone tried Gorrila tape it,s available in one,two, or three inch wide rolls while the company that makes it dosn,t say directly that it is waterproof they seem to imply it. Regular duct tape that i have bought in Canada falls off after being immersed for a while leaving a "gooy" mess on the hull. I suppose try and buy some and see.

Post subject: Re: GORRILA TAPE
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:27 am 
Site Admin

Regular duct tape- which actually was originally called "duck" tape- has rotten adhesion. It's also terrible for ducts ;-) The name seems to come from the backing material, cotton duck. It's been around for at least a century as a material for waterproofing.

Gorilla tape is an example of what photographers, filmmakers, theater people and sound engineers call "gaffer tape" and car racers call "200mph tape." I used a roll of Gorilla to reattach the side mirror on my old Saturn while I got around to replacing it. It also held a rear tallight on my Honda for an entire winter. Good stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:15 am 
forum fanatic

I happened to look at tapes recently and bought one roll of Gorilla Tough (1.88"x12') from Lowes @$5. I haven't used it for any serious repairing. The tape is a little thicker but still can be torn by hands. I read reviews on Amazon.com that are all good except the glue would melt under long time direct sun light. 3M exterior mounting tape is said better in that perspective but it's a double sided tape. Another tape other than regular duct tape is Rescue Tape which I think is best used for repairing hoses kind of thing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:44 pm 
forum fanatic

I made a ''tempory'' repair on the hull of my plywood dinghy 2 years ago (a long gash which stove in a section of the bottom of the hull ) ,using gorilla tape .

This repair has lasted,and keeps the hull watertight.

(I taped the gash ,with the gorilla tape,extending the length of the tape about a foot either side of the gash lenghtwise , and layered the tape about six inches either side of the gash-two or three layers of tape,then painted over with gorilla PU glue).

Good stuff.