Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:49 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I do not know how this happened but my sponsons got all out of whack on a trip up to the Adirondack's last month. I fixed them tonight. It was very hot today so I waited until evening to begin. Had to take a break to watch the Olympics and finished the sponsons during the parade of Nations so I could watch the grand finale... Great show! If you have never done this (sponsons, not watch to Olympics) it's a nasty sweaty job in the best of circumstances... unless you're lucky enough to do it in the winter. Anyway, I used my trusty headlamp today whereas before I always had to use a handheld flashlight. The headlamp worked so outstanding for this that the job went much quicker and I never got that claustrophobic cocoon "I'm gonna die in here feeling!' that I normally get.

So, the next time you gotta do your sponsons... use a headlamp. A really really long broomstick would help as well.

I wish I could figure out why the sponsons come out. I think it has something to do with heat, expansion then cool retraction... just not sure.

By the way, Mark Eckhart's video description of how to roll the Long Haul hulls is very informative for us Klepperians. I like the way he put the boat together as well. A little different from the order I have been doing it. I'm going to give his a try.

D

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:56 am 

Putting a sponson in is easy, there,s no need to go into the hull with any light, all you need is a long piece of wood about 3/4 of an inch wide and 1/4 thick so it is "bendy" and some GOOD velcro. Stick a small piece of velcro on the ends of the sponson and a small piece on the wood, attach the wood to the sponson with the velcro and feed both the wood and the sponson in the sleeve, slowly and gently push the wood and the sponson into the sleeve untill it reaches the end, then "twist" the wood off the sponson, the volcro will part and you can draw the wood out, then do it for the other end, it,s quite easy. Broom handles are too short and ridgid, they dont bend around the curvature of the skin. The photos show the wood and sponson with the velcro on them and the way i feed them into the sleeve when they are pressed together.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:54 pm 

Good advice John, I'll certainly try this next time.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:18 pm 
Actually, the easiest way to work on the sponsons is to turn the skin inside out. It may seem hard but it can be done. It is a lot easier with the gray color, lighter hull but can be done with the black one as well.

This also helps take care of the main problem behind the migration of the sponson away from the ends of the Klepper. There is a ribbon or string that goes througha grommet in the sponson and secures it to the end.

The sleeve in which the sponson is located has several overlapped slits that you can reach through to move the sponson and take care of twists.

When I got my first Klepper in 1988 the sponsons would constantly twist or migrate from the ends. I would have my wife crawl in with a light to correct the problem. Then I worked on turning the skin inside out and the solution was so much easier.

As you can see by my email I am Ralph Diaz, the author of the Complete Folding Kayaker. I had the newsletter but dropped it around 2004 when I moved to Upstate from Manhattan. And I have not done much paddling in the last four years.

I looked at this forum and this particular tread intriqued me, and so I responded.

Ralph Diaz

(Since moving up here I have switched to using my full given name Rafael. But I do respond to Ralph

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:45 pm 

Rafael,

I'm so pleased that you joined us here. I want to thank you for your book, Complete Folding Kayaker. It helped me considerably with my first folder purchase, an AII, and I still refer to it every now and then when I want to check a supply list or technique. As a matter of fact it has a prominent spot right here next to the favorite seat on the couch. Ha.

I do have to say that I turned my AII expedition inside out once and it was one heck of a job. Not too bad getting to the ends, but that final stretch was a little tough. I'm wondering now if I really needed to 'unfold' it as much as I did. I do not remember seeing anything to tie the sponson too in either end as I'm sure I would have done that given the opportunity. I did notice that the tape covering the stitching in both the bow and stern was in pretty poor shape. The headlamp worked really well as it left both hands free to work and maneuver. Because when that tight space panic begins to set in... you want both hands available to get out! Ha. I'll definitely try the inside out trick again next time and take a better look for a tie down.

Again, welcome. It's really a pleasure to see you here and I hope you become a regular. Who knows, maybe we can inspire you to start paddling more often again.

Dennis

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:52 am 
forum fanatic

DLee wrote:
Rafael,

I'm so pleased that you joined us here. I want to thank you for your book, Complete Folding Kayaker.

Indeed! Of all the books in my overburdened library, The Complete Folding Kayaker is one of the few that I am permanently attached to. Thanks for all the outstanding inspiration over the years.

PK

Folbot Greenland II, now at a new home on the Southern Cape coast

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

Another note of thanks to the good Mr. Diaz for joining us. This forum wouldn't exist if not for his newsletter and book.