Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:00 am 
forum fan

Hi all,

I've been reading through this forum for a few weeks now and am loving it, there is a plethora of fantastic information. Now I need to ask for some help. I recently bought a Klepper on Ebay here in Australia, its an ex-military double with two sponsons down each side. It's pretty much the full kit though there are a few things that need work. The aluminium mast is broken, snapped at a point where a hole was drilled through, the mainsail is missing, and the stern piece is a very poorly done homemade job. These parts I hope to make myself; the mast is broken but at least I can use it as a template for a wooden one and the same goes for the stern piece. The sail I dont have plans for but I think I could work out the dimensions based on the mast, boom and top spar of the gaff.

The big issue is the skin, the canvas is fine but the coating is cracked and flaking off in several places, mostly inside but a few place on the bottom too. I know my best option is to buy a new one, or send this one to Long Haul for a new hull, but not only can I not afford it I am really keen to restore the original to at least a functional state. It may never be up to crossing the Atlantic but hopefully some river and bay cruising will eventually be possible. I've attached some photos of the hull and its condition. I really have no idea how old the boat is, Im not even sure if it's rubber or hypalon. I thought at first it would have to be hypalon but the way it cracks and flakes off makes me think its rubber. Any ideas?

I can upload more photos via photobucket if that would help. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fiberglass double
3 x Plastic singles
17ft Fiberglass Canadian
Numerous surfboards

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

I suspect that's rubber, as Hypalon doesn't dry out, but it's hard to tell from a photo. If it's rubber, you're really in the market for a new hull. But if if it's Hypalon that's been abraded from abuse (or normal military use ;-) you can re-coat the damaged area if the fabric underneath is intact, or glue on a patch if it isn't.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:25 pm 
forum fan

Thanks for that Michael. Is there any way of finding out for sure whether it is rubber or hypalon?

Cheers,

Jonathan

Fiberglass double
3 x Plastic singles
17ft Fiberglass Canadian
Numerous surfboards

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:06 am 
forum fanatic

Hi Jonathan. Maybe I can help you, although I'm not that handy. You can read my intro post from last year. Yep, I'm in Brisbane again for a while. And my LH mkII and BSD sail rig is here too if you want to come over and have a look and a chat. At least you can see what hypalon looks like. I'm only a beginner but I've been learning heaps from reading the forum too. I've more of a sailing than canoeing/kayak background. I said I'd write something for the forum later about my LHFK, and I will when I've done a bit more tinkering and testing. I'm no too computer competent, [what does all the crap on this composition page mean?] so I hope this posts OK. I'll tap on "submit" and see what happens. Robert.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:22 am 
forum fan

Thanks for the offer Robert, I'm definitely keen to see your boat, and to meet a local enthusiast. I'll send you an email with my contact details.

My Dad and I put together the Klepper today for the first time, I did a quick fix on the stern piece so we could assemble it and have a good look at what we need to do .. and because it's a blast to clip it all together.

Here's a list of repairs that need doing:

* 1 x Stern gunwale - It has been fixed in the past with steel screws and poor quality ply-wood. The screws have rusted and the plywood is breaking. It's fixable. There's also one on ebay here in Australia but the bloke is asking $330.
* Two of the T-Fittings on the coaming are missing, I'll have to source new ones or find something close enough.
* Stern piece needs rebuilding.
* The backrests for the seat that came with the boat dont fit the width of this boat. Perhaps they were for a single? Not sure what we'll do here.
* Skin needs re-coating. I found a product called liquidrubber, has anyone had any experience with it? The website makes it look pretty good and they tell me it sticks to canvas ... http://www.liquidrubber.net.au/

I've uploaded a few photos:

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/jober ... ow/Klepper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:15 am 
forum fan

Just realised the album link in the previous post was private. Here it is publicised:

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/jober ... ry/Klepper

Fiberglass double
3 x Plastic singles
17ft Fiberglass Canadian
Numerous surfboards