Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:14 pm 
forum fanatic

Hi I just purchased an aerius I from late 70-ties I think with rather evil cracks in the rubber-bow-parts (hope it is the correct word).

Not just the classic "it looks a bit cracked with thin, thin cracks -- but it will still work fine", this is really CRACKS in the rubber.

I know I can buy them as spare parts, but rather expensive in my opinion and a bit insane to pay equally money for these two parts as the rest of the kayak... (Only payed $300 for this smelly webbed garage find...).

So any scottish and lazy person ever tried to fix this problem with sikaflex 291i?

Thanks!
/Erik S

Klepper Aerius II (early 70-ties) with Sail rig
Klepper Aerius II (late 80-ties)
Klepper Aerius I (early 80-ties)

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:10 pm 
forum fanatic

I have just ended a short beaver watching evening kayak tour with my two Aerius I, and it is the first tour with my Sikaflex 291i fixed kayak. And I think it is a really good fix for this kind of kayak. A rather scabby one, but at least hypalon and besides the bows; in decent condition.

I just did one layer of sikaflex and it feels really good. I should have used some kind of blade instead of my fingers to get a better surface... but it was my first try. I fills the cracks really well, and it feels very flexible.

I did a horrific choice of brown colour. How the hell did I think...? Anyway... I guess white or black will be much better.

The tube was a rather big one (300ml) and I think it will be totally enough for a rather thick layer two (both bows), but I am not sure it is needed.

I will give report later on when I know the durability of the fix.

/Erik S

Klepper Aerius II (early 70-ties) with Sail rig
Klepper Aerius II (late 80-ties)
Klepper Aerius I (early 80-ties)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:17 am 
forum fan

Hi Erik,

Glad to hear the sikaflex fix worked! I'd be really interested to hear how it holds up after folding and some regular use. I'm about to start a repair job on a late 60s / early 70s Klepper AEII with several patches of peeling rubber. At this stage I'm planning to use Sikaflex Pro as it's nice and cheap though I may have to find an alternative. Ive currently got a bit smeared over some scrap material just to see how it dries and whether or not it folds without cracking, if the test works then I'll start the full repair job.

Cheers,

Jono

Fiberglass double
3 x Plastic singles
17ft Fiberglass Canadian
Numerous surfboards

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:56 pm 
forum fanatic

Erik ,thanks for a very useful post.
Jono,
look forward to seeing if your experimental patch folds .

All depends on the amount of flexibility of gloop (Sika 291 ).

I got a six inch split in my Tyne folder at the stern ,underneath ,centre. (noticed a bit of water in boat when offshore -only disovered split when packing up)
This I'll repair with stormsure ( Used it for my dry suit -works well and I have a tube on hand ) http://www.stormsure.com/stormsure.html

The rest of the skin needs either re skinning or a layer added . I have thought of using a contact glue and polyester cotton (flat extra kingsize sheet from superstore) -which has worked for my dinghy cover.

But ,if your Sika 291 experiment works ,it should be much easier to coat the hull with sika and much the same cost.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:51 am 
forum fanatic

This interests me a lot. I have three old folders: a Tyne, a Klepper, and a Folbot. The skins of all three seem to be made of different rubber-like materials, and are of varying durability. All three are grey, however. I'm tempted by the Sika solution to reinforcing weak spots along keel lines, etc., but I'm not in a hurry to plaster on white or black "patches" on the still-uniform grey skins. Any ideas about making the Sika product more colour-compatible? I could find no "grey" version of it in my on-line research.
Martin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:39 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Dear All,
Any news on the sikaflex patching front? How are the repairs holding up to regular use, Erik? Has anyone thought of a way of mixing silver (paint?) in with the white sikaflex to produce a better colour match to the old rubber skins? What sort of paint might be a good match? I think there are a few of us who will be interested in this.

I've now bought myself a tube of Sikaflex 291i (though I can't lay my hands on the stuff at the minute--will have to ask the wife where she's hidden/tidied it away to). I just need to find some time to prep the old skin of my Tyne, by scraping away all the flaking top layers down to the inner core. While I wait, does anyone know how long the shelf-life of this stuff is?

Thanks in advance.
Ian