Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:46 pm 
faltbootemeister

I wonder if anyone has insight into this problem. Is it possible to sew a new deck onto an old Klepper hull? I know the folks at LongHaul will do it, but could one do it at home or at a local canvas shop? The seam itself is straightforward--the canvas deck and the hypalon hull are simply laid on top of each other and sewn together with a single line of stitches. But it's all done with the skin inside out. When the skin is turned right-side out, the seam doesn't show. The question is whether a finished hull can be turned inside out so that a new deck can be sewn on. There are rubber strips on the ends that stiffen it up quite a bit and may make this step impossible. Maybe when a new deck is sewn on the rubber strips (and the keel bracket as well) need to be removed first. I don't know. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:10 am 
forum fan

overland wrote:
I wonder if anyone has insight into this problem. Is it possible to sew a new deck onto an old Klepper hull? I know the folks at LongHaul will do it, but could one do it at home or at a local canvas shop? The seam itself is straightforward--the canvas deck and the hypalon hull are simply laid on top of each other and sewn together with a single line of stitches. But it's all done with the skin inside out. When the skin is turned right-side out, the seam doesn't show. The question is whether a finished hull can be turned inside out so that a new deck can be sewn on. There are rubber strips on the ends that stiffen it up quite a bit and may make this step impossible. Maybe when a new deck is sewn on the rubber strips (and the keel bracket as well) need to be removed first. I don't know. Any thoughts?

Hi, first of all you need to remove rubber steven from the upper side of the hull and then the upperdeck. You do not need really to remove steven at all but only upper piece whewn they are bounded to the upperdeck. Then you should have ready new deck - if you want to avboid troubles you should use cotton which is flexible and easy to adjust to the quitre stiff bottom. The upperdeck must be ideally of same length on the edges like bottom edge is. If you will use stiff material for upperdeck the shape of it will necver be ideal (some faults will hap[pen it is for sure). Next steps I will tell you if you want to listen me more ;) regards Mariusz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:12 am 
faltbootemeister

It's good to hear from someone with experience doing this. By "rubber steven" you mean the small triangular rubber cap that goes on the top at the very bow? And the other "rubber steven" you're referring to is the long piece on the front of the bow that presumably covers the seam in the hypalon? That doesn't necessarily need to be removed? First, these are attached pretty tightly. How can they be removed? Second, the boat is so stiff at the ends, especially with these rubber pieces on, that I wonder if it's possible to turn the skin inside out completely so that the new deck can be sewed on? Anyway, please do tell more.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:46 am 
forum fan

Hi again,

this gumi caps on the bow and stern , peel off using hairdryer the steven from canvas only not at all. You must be carefull not to damage the steven. In old kleppers it should be easy after heating strongly the steve in place where it is attached to the canvas (on the horn) . After peeling off partialy steven from bow and stern it is possible to capsize the hull and slightly unseam the upperdeck of the bottom even on the ends of boat. Now it is time to attach new one deck if you have it already produced. There are special points on dhe edges of the hypalon bottom and on the canvas edge which have to be put each on other and previously sewn - this step guaranties that the upperdeck will be flat ( without folds) on the assembled boat. Please tell if you have already produced the upperdeck and of which kind of material ? regards Mariusz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:54 am 
faltbootemeister

I'm asking all these questions because I'm considering the possibility of buying a used deck and a used hull--but from different boats! So I'm trying to figure if and how I could sew them together and how much trouble it would be. The seam itself seems simple, at least looking at it near the the middle of the boat. The ends look tricky. If I understand you correctly, it sounds like I must undo a part of the rubber strip at the bow (and stern)--how much, I wonder?--and also take apart a bit of the hypalon seam at the end of the boat? And these steps are necessary in order to put the hull inside-out for sewing?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:27 pm 
faltbootemeister

Thanks, but this forum is for repair.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:41 am 
forum fan

Ok , so now if you have ready deck you must identify (find) this four points on the edges of upperdeck and hypalon botttom. They usually are marked - this is key step to sew deck and bottom properly. You can sew handy - long time - or on heavy duty sewing machine. The thread is important ! you need the thread , which swells contacting the moisture. It is better to do it handy because it guaranties you that uou will use existing holes after previopus sewing ( I hope that you understand how important it is) brm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:52 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Wayland, you say it,s important to use thread that swells, have you any names for this thread, and has anyone a place where this can be obtained in North America, the UK and Europe.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:31 am 
forum fan

hi John, this thread is made by Kupfer it is AVINO E 11/4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:32 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Overland,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klepper-Aerius- ... SwmmxW1hmR

If you can afford it, buy this hull and have Mark at Longhaul sew his deck on it.

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:18 pm 
faltbootemeister

Good suggestion. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:09 pm 
Site Admin

I see Long Haul also has some used skins in stock.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:10 pm 
faltbootemeister

Where do you see the used skins? I can't find them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

It was in Clearence, but it looks like it was sold.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:46 pm 
faltbootemeister

Now I have a deck with a hull that's too far gone to fix. Mark at Longhaul has doubts about the deck, but it looks pretty strong to me. I'm going to clean it and see what I've got. I suppose I can use the old hull, which is cracked, as a pattern for a new one? Although they shrink over time, don't they? In any case if I can't find an old Klepper hull with a ruined deck, I may try to use new material tosew on a new hull myself. What material should I look for? At the Skin Boat school they sell urethane coating that can be applied to polyester and that they say is flexible. I could even buy a big piece of CSM--i.e., Hypalon--from NRS, which sells it by the foot, 57 inches wide. There are a lot of possibilities. Lots of opportunities to screw up, too, I suppose.