Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Non seized frame
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:05 am 
forum fanatic

Hi, just to let you know that last season in the Tropics, I left my Feathercraft Ki assembled for six months. Sinner!

Well, I checked it occasionally..

Before I assembled it, I warmed all the joints and ensured they were well coated with warm Lanocote, applied with artists brush.

Ensure you get under those stainless steel clips !

No problem getting it apart, and no sign of any corrosion.
After using it on a daily basis, I would get a couple of litres of fresh water and slosh it around end to end and sponge out.

Just a thought for those of you who don't wish to disassemble or unable to.
K

Post subject: Re: Non seized frame
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:36 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I've always had the same good luck using Boeshield T-9 religiously on all the frame connections.
Boeshield was developed by Boeing (the massive aircraft manufacturer) to use as a moisture exclusion spray to use in airplanes that would not harm electronic cables and hydraulic components (hence: rubbers, plastics, synthetic fabrics.) I'm pretty cautious about what I use that might get onto the skin of my boat unless I can get more detailed assurances of the product's safety and ingredients. Looking at the Lanocote MSDS:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... 57msds.pdf

They don't say anything about safety with other materials than metals specifically, but I did find another product called Lanox that seems to have virtually the same aliphatic petroleum and wool grease ingredients as Lanocare and they state this:

"LANOX is harmless to metal points & surfaces, plastics, painted & enamel finishes, fibreglass, formica, rubber or neoprene seals."

So it sounds like it's a safe option. Watch what solvents you use to clean it off -- the recommended acetone won't hurt nylon, but can be harmful to some types of rubber and plastic components. Just don't spill any on the skin or non metal fittings.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

Another good choice is aluminum anti-seize from your local auto parts store. The best advice, of course, is to disassemble the boat after use! I have two Folbots currently and I've owned two others and two Feathercrafts and never had a problem with tubes seizing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:32 am 
forum fanatic

Hi Kerry, don't know about Lanocare, not a product I've seen down this way (New Zealand).

I'm not advocating that people use this product and leave their boats without follow up T.L.C. , just that I have had excellent results with this product through careful application and follow up.

I am very aware of the electrolytic action between the alloy tube and the Stainless Steel button locks + sea water = trouble.

For me, with the K1 stored on deck of my Sailboat to enable paddling on a daily basis, it is just not practical to take apart on a regular basis. (ie Lazy)

I feel that the washing out with fresh water and vigorous sloshing helps a lot.

As it will cost me approx. $NZ8000 to replace my K1, I am very careful..