Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: kayak hull material
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:19 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

+1 overland.

Alv, thanks for your generous contributions. It is rare to have someone share the level of details on their own proprietary products, and I think that kind of "open sourcing" will, hopefully, keep you at the head of this class.

Best,
g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:52 pm 
forum fanatic

overland wrote:
Can the material above be sewn on a home sewing machine, or is an industrial sized machine necessary?

Sewing with a home sewing machine is not funny. I use and need different machines...old but good.
Pfaff 130 = home sewing machine with ZZ stitch (~1950)
Adler 67/73 = industrial sized machine (triple transport sewing machine, ~1950))
Dürkopp (ex Volkswagen) = industrial sized machine (Needle feed sewing machine = double transport sewing machine, ~1960)

R.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:55 pm 
forum fanatic

I only have domestic sewing machines. My Elnas are sturdy, mechanical types from the 60s. They will sew through canvas deck, piping trim and heavy weight hypalon but as Rainer says I'm not smiling as I sew. The feed is the issue with so much weight in the hull. A roller foot helps and I've used all manner of "aids" to transport the hull through the machine. These include a child's stroller and mechanics crawler so the folded up hull moves on wheels as it approaches the machine.
My latest technique with a new PVC hull is based on sewing a 30mm wide strip of hull material to the canvas deck and gluing the hull to the strip using a heat sensitive contact glue. This still involves thinking outside the square but simplfies the sewing from extremely challenging to straight forward.

Check out:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6051

Cheers Jim

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:08 pm 
faltbootemeister

Bought 7 yards of 22 oz. of Pvc yesterday. (It was pretty cheap--about $50.) It feels quite tough and substantial. It's slightly unbalanced--one side has a little more coating than the other, but not by a lot. Wish it were more. It's fairly wide and I suppose I can use the extra fabric for wear strips. Our cheap home sewing machine is able to sew this material okay. I'm guessing I should glue the seam on either end of the hull and not try to sew them.