Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:23 am 
forum fanatic

For those who missed the two AtlYaks sold elsewhere in the Forum a couple of weeks ago, there is still one available on eBay. (The ad says "2 available" but I bought one.)

I bought it for $120 less than the advertised price by dealing with the vendor directly. (Total $450) Amazing service too - I paid for it late Wednesday night, and it arrived this morning! It is much better quality than I expected - looking forward to using it in Montenegro next month. Very similar to Folbot Cooper; not quite as good, but amazing for the price. For the compact paddler however.

If you want to pick up the remaining one, contact me and I will send you the contact details for the vendor -her name is June.

Here is the eBay link.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Folding-At ... SwA3dYazKq

Jack

Folbots: Greenland, Aluet, Cooper
Two Atlyaks
Kleppers: Passat and Master
Inflatables: Coleman and Intex
Rigid: Mirror dinghy, Chrysler 23 and Westerly GK29

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:25 am 
faltbootemeister

Well, enjoy the boat and let us know how it works out.
I am not a compact paddler by any standard, so I won't inquire about the other boat.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:52 pm 
recent arrival

Jack - I'm interested. Can please you provide the seller's contact ? Have you had a chance to paddle in it ? I'm curious to hear how it performs.

Thanks
Pat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:18 pm 
forum fanatic

Hello Pat.
The kayak in question has been sold.
I did acquire a second one from a member of this forum who was scrapping it because the seams on the vinyl hull were parting at the fore and aft curved section - apparently a common fault.

In fact, the same thing had happened to the new one I bought. Repairing them was somewhat fiddly, but I was able to repair both and strengthen the seams internally and externally. Now they are fine. We have seven kayaks to choose from at our home in Montenegro, including a Folbot Cooper which they resemble, albeit shorter. My wife and I often choose the AtlYaks because they are so light to carry and are a lot of fun in the water. We are both around 150 lb, and I suggest that is within 10-15 lbs of their upper limit.
The frames are very good quality - a bit lighter than the Cooper, but easier to assemble. Everything is shock-corded. The tensioning system is superior to the Cooper. Sponsons are lighter quality, and in fact it was while I was replacing one that was leaking that I caused the seams to part on my newer AtlYak. I found out the hard way you CANNOT turn the hull inside out to remove or replace the sponson as this causes too much stress on the curved seams. I just do not understand why this otherwise excellent kayak was not made with a one-piece vinyl hull.

However, with the excellent selection of vinyl glues and tapes that you can now buy, that one design fault is easily managed. For a fraction of the price of a Cooper, they are exceptional value.

Hope that helps,

Jack

PS I just returned from Montenegro yesterday and will return next March. One or both of us will then be there through November. If you are visiting the Balkans, you are welcome to use any of my kayaks.

Folbots: Greenland, Aluet, Cooper
Two Atlyaks
Kleppers: Passat and Master
Inflatables: Coleman and Intex
Rigid: Mirror dinghy, Chrysler 23 and Westerly GK29