Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:21 pm 
.........because so far i'm the only person I've seen so far that has a folder in PA.

Post subject: Eastern PA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:51 pm 
I hope to be a folder soon. I'm on the lookout for a used K1. I'm in Riverside, N.J., have been away from paddling for years, back to it soon, have a couple of hardshell boats, used to work in a friends' paddleshop and also used to lead trips.

If you know of anybody with a good K-1 for sale please let me know ! Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:17 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Check this http://www.foldingkayak.com/ under used Feathercraft heading. A few used K-I's for sale listed. He is a distributor for new ones, too.

Klondike, Nimbus Telkwa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:10 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I grew up in Pottstown area. I haven't spent a ton of time there recently, though. :(

Post subject: K1 soon...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:44 pm 
The good news for me is that I found a used-like-new-out-of-the-box K1 and hope to have it in four or five days. I suppose I'll have to test it on the Delaware R. when it gets here... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:15 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

My early canoe camping days were delightfully spent on the upper Delaware, above the Gap. I have been longing to get back there with a folder, but I just don't know if it would work. The shallows and the rapids, one section of 4's, have me wondering if the river from the northern sections to the Gap is really navigable with a folder. Have you done any research on this? I would be really interested in a trip, but have not been in your neighborhood for 20 years or so, and I know things do change.

But thanks for the worthwhile dream,

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:04 pm 
I wouldn't do it. While most of it would be fine, those areas where it ain't, and especially at low water levels, you be portaging or doing severe damage to your boat.

I've done sections in multi-day trips from Narrowsburg on down to the Gap, the best combination was we were in a plastic kayak and a battleship ancient aluminum canoe, both of which served perfectly, hauling gear and bouncing off of rocks, cruising for hours in placid splendor.

More of that this Summer, my buddy and I were talking about it yesterday in fact.

Where I live it's ocean-going freighter navigable, so I'll be testing out my new K1 without fear of foundering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:47 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

nj,

Sounds like good advice. As I recall I always felt lucky whenever I did NOT get charged for damage on the rented canoes we returned. Oh well, there are plenty of other rivers.

Enjoy your K1

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:22 pm 
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c77/njpaddler/Paddling/?action=view&current=1a3bd510.pbr
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c77/njpaddler/Paddling/?action=view&current=bd317c0d.pbr
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c77/njpaddler/Paddling/?action=view&current=d34acbb2.pbr :D :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:12 pm 
I'm in Newtown Square, and I know of at least one other folder owner in Conshohocken.