Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:57 am 
Hi,
Is there a club or magazine/newsletter for us UK eccentrics ? Also looking for info on kayakable (is that a real verb?) rivers and coastal stretches.
Cheers,
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:59 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Hi Dave,

There aren't many of us bagboaters in UK, and I don't know of any folder websites local to us. But look in on http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/forum/ for general kayaking/ canoeing chat. You'll find myself, Andreadawn (Cumbria), HelenM (SW Scotland), YvonneB (Bath) and others who include a folding kayak in our fleet.

I don't know the Cambridge area - being Oxford, I've got the Thames. As a member of the British Canoe Union, I've got a licence to paddle on the Thames and on any of the canal network. BCU membership is worth it for me just for the Thames licence. Assume you need a licence for any stretch of freshwater, unless proven otherwise. (Lockkeepers are good sources of information on this.)

Salt water is generally open to all, but check an Ordnance Survey map to make sure, for example, you're not in a military firing range. Harbours may have restrictions and fees, but you're mostly legal to launch off a beach. For information about whether you'd be safe as well as legal, consult the UKRiversGuideBook forum (which also includes sea kayaking).

What kind of boat do you have (or are planning to get)? How far do you think you might travel with it? I don't have a car, so I'm pretty much a local paddler.

Mary

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:58 pm 
Hi Mary !
I don't have a boat but am in the process of buying a Waylans Amazon Explorer II. I had an old glass fibre sea kayak (can't remember the name - too long ago!) and paddled the Broads and local rivers as well as the east coast WAY back in the late 80's/early 90's. Then moved to the Canadian Rockies and whitewater (as wellas COLD water) didn't appeal so i stuck with climbing and mountain biking in the summer. Although did a bit of 'tubing' on the Bow River. My son is now big enough to paddle so I thought a 2 seater would do us and I could stillpaddle and sail alone. Intending to travel and visit some rivers over the course of a weekend. Long term goals are to traverse the Midi Canal in France and have a bash at the Devizes to Westminster whe the lad is older :shock:
I'll register with the website and the BCU.
I look forward to talking some more :)
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:01 pm 
Hi Dave,

I live in Norfolk, near to Norwich, have the Broads at my doorstep which makes for fabulous paddling winter time when there are less pleasure craft about. Otherwise I do some coastal paddling and occasional multi day trips mostly North of the Border, myself and a friend are heading up to Scotland in May to Paddle the Great Glen, which will be 4 days including the length of Loch Ness. I have a Klepper double and a single.

Cheers
Elliot

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:04 pm 
Hi Elliot,
Thanks for getting in touch. If you ever find yourself short of a paddler to go out in your Aerius II, please let me know. I'd LOVE to have a go in one !!
Cheers,
Dave
pilgrim632000@yahoo.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:05 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Dave put the same question on the Folbot forum as there are a few folbot owners over their who may not see this, i can remember one in the north east and one almost in Penzance and there are others.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:38 pm 
HI Dave (+ any other UK bagboaters passing by)

I guess we're just rare and eccentric, judging by the number of replies to your original post. I've been absorbed (best way I can think to describe it) by folding boats for the past three years. I've been hooked since buying my first boat, a double by British Granta circa late 70s - (in remarkably good nick). My quest for a sail rig led me to another vintage double - a Bavaria Falcon - (same shape and size as a klepper double but without fancy clips) which came with full sail rig.

I now sail and paddle mainly in Yorkshire, apart from a couple of glorious trips to Loch Fyne. Inland tends to be rivers Hull and Ouse (around York) or canals in the area. Mostly go to the Yorkshire coast around Bridlington, Flamborough Head and up towards Scarborough.

I'm currently building a single bag boat for quick trips (solo paddling doubles is okay, but assembly and shifting it all gets a bit of a drag). It's based on a Yost design (if you haven't already, check out http://www.yostwerks.com) but with a wood frame. I think I may have to add a shop bought single to the fleet as well...

I'd be keen to paddle with folding fans, if anyone around this neck of the woods anytime.

regards

Leo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:56 pm 
Hi Limey Dave et al.

I am based in N.E, Essex (R.Stour and Orwell). I probably won't be paddling again until Spring 2009, but I would be interested in hooking up with fellow folders. There is much to be done along the Essex and Suffolk coasts. Last January I met up with a couple of rigid paddlers. I watched their jaws drop as I took my Wayland Harpoon from the roof of my car. It did not bode well! It was not my best day's kayaking. A pleasant paddle up and down the estuary, or coast, with a decent lunch and maybe camping suits me just fine. I started paddling over thirty years ago, mainly white water and surf with the some sea trips, I own a Wayland Harpoon and Amazon II Exp. and an old (80's I think) plywood DK21 Sea Kayak. I have sailing rigs for both folders.

Tim.

Last edited by turbo on Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:53 am 
Hi Tim,
I'm not far from you. Up in Bury St Edmunds. I too won't be doing much paddling over the winter (apart from the odd trip with Elliot on the Norfolk Broads in cold calm conditions) - my son's playing rugby every Sunday. Can't miss that !

Would be very interested in getting on the water with you next spring though. I know what you mean about non folding boat folk ! All the more reason to find other bagboaters. We seem to be a more solitary breed though and only rarely paddle in groups.

Please feel free to get in touch next year though.

Regards,
Dave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:00 am 
Hi Everyone
Live in Lancashire, own 2 folders a Pouch E65 and a Longhaul mk11 fitted with balogh sails. Also a member of the Open Canoe Sailing Group. http://www.ocsg.org.uk. Sail mostly in the Lake District but have been known to venture further a field. If anyone is up this way or wants to organise a meeting I'd certainly be interested

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:56 pm 
Hi Dave, hi Zollen,

Thanks for getting back to me. Soccer for me on Sundays, so I empathise. I intend to keep paddling through the Winter BBC forecast permitting. Keep me posted on any trips planned and I will do likewise. The Broads sound good. I've paddled a 'canadian' there before, but the kids were young and it was HARD work. Forunately my main auxillary (14yrs) has started firing properly so everything should be okay. In any case I can go solo.

The Lakes. Why not? It's ages since I've been there. I'll let you know if and when I'm coming!

Cheers,

Tim.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:31 am 
Hi Tim / Dave / Zollen,

Hmmm...winter paddling. Last outing on the North Sea a few weeks ago was in 8' swell and ...errr...interesting surf. Lakes sounds good to me! I'd definitely be interested in any outings in that direction. Weather permitting - I find http://www.netweather.tv to be more detailed and reliable than bbc site - good info on wind speed and precipitation (the important stuff).

cheers

Leo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:12 pm 
Managed to keep paddling over the winter, on average once a week, only got turned back by ice once!
days are getting longer, weathers warming, anyone fancy thinking ahead and getting together some time, some where ?? maybe a weekend meet ??

Thoughts anyone........

Dave, when's the rugger over?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:57 pm 
Hi !!
Rugby will be over after the first week in may.

I took my first paddle since last September (!) yesterday. It was a 25 km paddle from Erith to Ely. Averaged 6.4 km/h moving time and took one 15 minute break after 2hr 40 mins. Staring to get a little tired by the last 2 km and ached a bit last night but feel like I could've done it again today. A good sign.

Goint to try to do a trip every other Saturday 'til the rugby is over. Then rowing kicks in for my son (and possibly me too after a 12 year gap). However I still want to get out in the Kleppre single. The double too if I can find someone else to share the paddling with.

Cheers,
Dave

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:52 am 
Hi Guys,

Well, I too managed to get out once or twice a month over the Winter. I seem to be stuck at between 12 and 15 miles and then done in. Probably my sedentary lifestyle, too much office and not enough oxygen... Planning to get the Waylands assembled in another week or two. So probably the Broads sometime in June..

Anyone interested?

Tim

Wayland Harpoon Exp. (with s/rig)
Wayland Amazon Exp. (with s/rig)
Tahe Greenland
SK18
DK21 S&G