Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: northern calif anyone?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:44 pm 
HI, Single guy here with a new Klepper. I live in a great kayaking area with Tomales Bay, the Drakes Estuero, etc.. Any single girls out there?

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:28 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Try Meetup.com to hook up with women. I plan on heading down to the Bay Area fairly often starting in January. If you want to do some paddling let me know

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:26 am 
Tsunamichuck-

My wife and I purchased an old AE11 and are looking for places to paddle in the SF Bay area. We live in the south part of the bay area near Fremont/Newark/Union City.

Where do you recommend as good places for beginners to paddle in the SF Bay area? We could go as far as Elkhorn slough or Tomales bay, inland as far as the central valley. What time of year do you recommend?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:00 am 

Elkhorn Slough is an excellent place for beginners. Monterrey Bay by Monterrey Bay Kayaks and head around the aquarium is usually pretty calm. I also like Santa Cruz out of the harbor. I heard Loch Lomond is nice as well.

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:47 pm 
I think Elkhorn slough or Loch Lomond would be good- I'm not sure my wife would like the open ocean- even if it is calm.

A book I have says Loch Lomond is only open from March 1 to Sept 15- so I guess I will have to try it next year.

Do you know any good sources of information on Elkhorn besides the local Kayak shop? I think Elkhorn would be the most fun.

Thank you for the suggestions.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:04 pm 

Just go after checking the tide tables and weather. Elkhorn is very protected but the winds can get very strong as can the current ( the slough is tidal). While the Monterrey Bay is "open ocean" it is also very protected and Monterrey Bay Kayaks rents to raw beginners. Check out their shop. They have free boat rinse facilities and hot chocolate and are a great resource for local paddling.

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:14 am 
Regarding tide tables- I would assume I will want to go up Elkhorn with the rising tide, and paddle back out with the falling tide.
Question- how many hours in advance of the maximum high tide do I want to start paddling up Elkhorn?
I have never actually used a tide table to plan my paddle trips, as where I usually go- such as Tahoe- there are no tides.

Any suggestions about the use of tide tables would be helpful

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:17 am 

BPDon wrote:
Regarding tide tables- I would assume I will want to go up Elkhorn with the rising tide, and paddle back out with the falling tide.
Question- how many hours in advance of the maximum high tide do I want to start paddling up Elkhorn?
I have never actually used a tide table to plan my paddle trips, as where I usually go- such as Tahoe- there are no tides.

Any suggestions about the use of tide tables would be helpful

Thank you!

I would give it about 2 hours. Check with Monterey Bay Kayaks also for tips and current strength.Wind can be a factor in the slough as well. Let me know if you want to go together sometime

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:07 pm 
Quote:
I would give it about 2 hours. Check with Monterey Bay Kayaks also for tips and current strength.Wind can be a factor in the slough as well. Let me know if you want to go together sometime

Welcome back! I will check with Monterey Bay Kayaks before I get serious about this trip. As I recall, there is a kayak shop very near the mouth of the slough. Between the holidays, winter rains, and the need for the correct tides, it may be a challenge to find a good time to go. But-I am semi-retired, so I can be flexible on schedules. If you are ever in the SF bay area, please let me know. It would be nice to be able to go with someone who has done Elkhorn and knows the tricks of the area.

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:08 pm 

I will be down in the area last weekend in March and always ready for a paddle.. Will also be down the Mar 18-19.

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:37 am 
you can launch from the alviso harbor. the channel is 4-5 miles long and takes you out into the southern portion of the bay. it's fun to ride the tide out, paddle in the shallow waters (i saw harbor seals sunbathing on a sandbar the other day), and then come back in the afternoon -- you'll have the wind at your back and often the current of the incoming tide if you timing things correctly. it's a nice beginner paddle. if you're in an aerius 2, i highly recommend the rudder because the wind can make it painful -- you may find yourself paddling completely on one side to go straight. afterward, you can have some good mexican food in town.