Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:55 pm 
forum fan

I'm taking my newly gained severance package with my folding kayak and heading way south-of-the-border. I'm thinking about wandering through the countries of Costa Rica, Panama, Nicaragua, and maybe Belize. I'm flying to Costa Rica in January and will be exploring the aforementioned countries for 4-6 months, or until my Khatsalano falls apart (or I get a new job, ha-ha...) If anyone is going to be in the region, hit me up as I doubt I will come across any other nomadic sea kayakers. A paddle buddy or two will always be welcome.

- David

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:13 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

David,

Congratulations. I wish I could make even part of that trip. Other people in your situation might use the time to reinvest in their careers...maybe find another position. What a waste. I think you have made a much wiser choice! Enjoy.

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:49 am 
forum fan

Unfortunately time isn't the issue, funds are. The thing that stinks about severance packages is that the money isn't really enough to do anything important, like going back to school and earning another degree in something more useful this time around. That is why I'm packing up my paddles and going abroad for a six month sojourn. It will cut my Manhattan living expenses by 2/3rds while adding some stamps to my freshly renewed passport.

I've been spending many late nights exploring Central America through Google Earth and have some pretty interesting trips sketched out. On the other hand, I know nothing of the water currents/trends/tides and plan on gleaning all I can from the local surfers and fishermen along the way...

Anyhow, I know these posts stay up for a long time, so if anyone is interested in meeting up at some point between January and June, send me a PM, I'm always receptive to company whilst on the water. If you are a guest wandering around these forums, then you can contact me through my nearly abandoned website. I'll probably begin posting my exploits, successful or not, on my site and I'll be sure to share on this forum too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:34 pm 
gbellware wrote:
David,

Congratulations. I wish I could make even part of that trip. Other people in your situation might use the time to reinvest in their careers...maybe find another position. What a waste. I think you have made a much wiser choice! Enjoy.

I agree. Do it while you can. Good lifetime experiences and dreams followed are never a waste of time.