Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Partner issues
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:20 am 
faltbootemeister

I just went on a two night paddle down the French Broad River in NC. After six years of solo paddling this is my first paddle with a partner. I have observations and questions about choosing a partner. At first I thought the only issue was to find someone with the time and willingness to go. Not so I think. Consider this:

I. What is their experience level, at camping, at canoeing, kayaking, at rivers?
2. Do they want the same thing from the trip, i.e. a challenge or a restful time in nature or a combination?
3. Are you basically compatible in what may be tense or uncomfortable situations?
4. A double kayak seems to require more coordination that a canoe. In a canoe, you will not necessarily need to coordinate your strokes but in a kayak it is essential.

I went with my 35 y.o. daughter who is in good shape being a runner but had no experience in the kayak or river. She never turned and clobbered me with her paddle but that was only because she is a forgiving daughter.

What say you all out there?

Post subject: Re: Partner issues
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:15 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

treewater wrote:
I just went on a two night paddle down the French Broad River in NC. After six years of solo paddling this is my first paddle with a partner. I have observations and questions about choosing a partner. At first I thought the only issue was to find someone with the time and willingness to go. Not so I think. Consider this:

I. What is their experience level, at camping, at canoeing, kayaking, at rivers?
2. Do they want the same thing from the trip, i.e. a challenge or a restful time in nature or a combination?
3. Are you basically compatible in what may be tense or uncomfortable situations?
4. A double kayak seems to require more coordination that a canoe. In a canoe, you will not necessarily need to coordinate your strokes but in a kayak it is essential.

I went with my 35 y.o. daughter who is in good shape being a runner but had no experience in the kayak or river. She never turned and clobbered me with her paddle but that was only because she is a forgiving daughter.

What say you all out there?

Never do a long trip with someone you have never paddled with before. In most double kayaks, stroke coordination is not essential. Stern paddlers controls the direction, bow paddler the stroke rate.

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:58 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

This is so a propos my current situation.

My daughter is getting married next year to a really great guy who I met for the first time a few months ago when he visited us in Atlanta. The kids took my tandem, I was solo on a 4 hour paddle/float up and down the Chattahoochee River. I marveled at how the two of them were completely comfortable and in synch. Somehow they matched cadence and effort to make this a lesson in compatibility.

I decided then and there that I would compose my wedding toast around the notion that "marriage is like a tandem kayak". I will explore the notions that you have to be in synch, you have to stay in the boat even when things get rough, one of you can pull harder if the other gets tired, you both need to just float every once in a while...well, you get the idea.

My wife and I paddle almost every weekend together and yes, you need to be of a same mind when you share time in a boat.

That's my $.02
g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:02 am 
faltbootemeister

Good advice, good story. Don't know why I never gave it any thought beforehand. Still, we had a good trip, but could have been smoother.