Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:00 pm 
paddler

I don't see this topic covered elsewhere and as it involves technique I'm putting it here.
In October 2016 I had total replacement of my right hip at a Sapporo, Japan hospital. I now have a titanium hip joint that gets lots of attention at airport security stations.

The operating surgeon told me I would have to give up kayaking. Perhaps some day when I'm old that may happen but since I'm only 72 I thought that was ridiculous. Online research revealed the problem centers on entering and exiting, primarily because you are not supposed to bend the knee to less than a 90 degree angle to your body on the fake hip side, at the risk of dislocation.

At the four month recovery mark I decided to give it a try, using the Aleut for its greater ease of entry over the Cooper. I've been paddling weekly since then, twice in the last week on the Sea of Japan. Both from the beach and from a dock I enter from the side, supporting myself by the kayak sides and by putting my left foot firmly in place and then sliding my right leg all the way in as I am sitting, in a single movement. The bow faces to my left. At the beach I have to push the boat into deeper water with the paddle after that. The same for getting out; I bring the boat parallel to the beach or dock and get my left foot or knee firmly down for support on the dock or beach before extracting my right leg. I'm just about ready to try using the Cooper again.

Perhaps none of you have had a hip replacement but if you live long enough some of you certainly will. This is just to let you know you only have to say goodbye to a worn-out joint, not to paddling.

---------------
Brian D
Folbot Indigo Aleut
Folbot True Gold Cooper
Necky Arluk III
BDS Batwing 32
Kayaksailor Rig

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:20 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Brian,

Glad to hear you were able to get back on the water, and I assume your surgeon was better at operating than he (she) is at life coaching! As you point out, there are plenty of kayaks and plenty of techniques that allow us seasoned folks to enjoy paddling well into our 80s...at least that is my plan. At age 60 I had to give up my Kahuna and, happily, move into a Klepper in order to be able to fold my (old and bionic) knees into the cockpit. Now, at 65, I have no problems paddling solo or with my wife. When I get new hips, probably in another 5 years or so, I will make whatever accommodations necessary to stay on the water. Heck, I will even consider a SOT when needed!

Thanks for sharing, keep on paddling.

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:14 pm 
forum fanatic

I am a retired MD with a total hip replacement 10 years ago. I've been whitewater kayaking regularly since then, including rolling and, unfortunately, a lot of wet exits with no problem with the hip. I also have a kayaking buddy who had both his hips replaced and who kayaks regularly. I seems to me the greatest risks are drowning, hitting one's head on a rock, tearing a rotator cuff in the shoulder, falling along a river bank, or driving to the put in. Of course, you want to wait until you have completed your rehab. But, barring a complication of your surgery, I cannot think of a reason your hip should preclude kayaking.

Klepper A I & II
Klepper T- 9
Klepper T-65
Klepper T-66
Klepper T-67
Klepper SL-59
Klepper Vagabund 1929
Pionier 520 Z
Hammer Wandereiner
Hart Sioux Turbillon
Gesa Moell
Chauveau Slalom
Chauveau Greenland Style Sea Kayak
Gesa Slalom 58

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:30 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I've had both hips replaced and, each time, returned to kayaking soon after rehab. I've never had a problem while paddling that was related to the THRs. I think some doc's tend to be too conservative when dispensing advice. Or, maybe, they just don't know of what they speak :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:17 am 
paddler

Thanks for the encouraging news from all! I suppose since I'm working at a remote radar site on the Sea of Japan coast I should regard being abducted by North Korean agents while paddling as a greater hazard than hip problems. Paddling in strong offshore winds gets my attention, too - if my old "engine" gives out or I lose my paddle they won't have to come and get me, I'll be blown over to their side of the water.

Is there a point at which the "less than 90 degree angle" prohibition is lifted or irrelevant? I'm exactly at the 6 month mark since the operation.

---------------
Brian D
Folbot Indigo Aleut
Folbot True Gold Cooper
Necky Arluk III
BDS Batwing 32
Kayaksailor Rig

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:21 pm 
recent arrival

I'm on my second (l) replacement; this one was a total and my first (r) was a resurfacing. The restrictions I was placed on for my posterior approach was regarding limited movement (less than 90 degrees) was only for the first 6 weeks following surgery to allow the muscles to heal and tighten again. The anterior approach for the second surgery had no such restriction.

I've been skiing, scuba diving, kayaking, cycling, etc without too much trouble. Better in fact than before the surgery. Just wore out my parts!

I'm hoping that I'm still kayaking etc at 70+!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:37 pm 
paddler

I had my hip replacement in the fall, so wasn't paddling until the spring. When I got back into my hardshell, no restrictions or difficulties. Pre-replacement I was having difficulty getting in/out and carrying the kayak.