Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:55 pm 
Our weather here isn't that cold. Even in the winter, by 10 AM, the air temp is tolerable with a light jacket or long sleeves.

But the water can be cold.

I did the Colorado trip from Willow Beach north, I was shocked at how cold the water was even in Oct. While I was in the folder and even though it was my first trip, I was pretty stable. But...what if?

(On a side note, a threesome in a canoe did swim late that first day - and could have drown. While the river is narrow, the sides are steep in the canyons and if you're swept into one, it might be a while before you find a spot to climb out. The threesome came close to this very situation.)

Given all this, is an dry suit the answer? Are there ones that aren't so $$$$? Or is there another solution that would meet my needs? Thanks gang - I truly appreciate your expertise.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:08 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Check out the NRS suits. I use one and got for $335 from Outdoorplay a while ago. But you could be fine in Neoprene. You would need to swim to find out. You can also go with a 2 piece drysuit and be fine.

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:10 pm 
tsunamichuck wrote:
Check out the NRS suits. I use one and got for $335 from Outdoorplay a while ago. But you could be fine in Neoprene. You would need to swim to find out. You can also go with a 2 piece drysuit and be fine.

Thanks...

I was on the NRS site and was looking at the two piece types. Why would one go with a two piece as opposed to a suit? Personal preference? Ease of getting in and out?

When you mention Neoprene, are you refering to a wet suit?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:44 pm 
Site Admin

Gerry, one rig that offers versatility and some degree of economy is a farmer john wet suit (3 mm) to protect the torso and then a Goretex (or equiv.) paddle jacket with latex cuffs at the wrists and a neoprene (not latex) closure at the neck. A full-on dry suit is over kill for where you are. OTOH, when the water is cold, the PJ and the FJ will be welcome. As the water warms (and the air does, also), you can ditch the PJ and go with the FJ until the water is swimming temp. Then all you need is swimming trunks.

NRS FJ's are a good value. Paddle jackets are made by many; Goretex is the standard for breathability, which I think you will really want. Tropos and similar are good but not as good. Cheaper, yes,

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:49 pm 
krudave wrote:
Gerry, one rig that offers versatility and some degree of economy is a farmer john wet suit (3 mm) to protect the torso and then a Goretex (or equiv.) paddle jacket with latex cuffs at the wrists and a neoprene (not latex) closure at the neck. A full-on dry suit is over kill for where you are. OTOH, when the water is cold, the PJ and the FJ will be welcome. As the water warms (and the air does, also), you can ditch the PJ and go with the FJ until the water is swimming temp. Then all you need is swimming trunks.

NRS FJ's are a good value. Paddle jackets are made by many; Goretex is the standard for breathability, which I think you will really want. Tropos and similar are good but not as good. Cheaper, yes,

That sounds like a good, versatile solution and should be perfect for my needs. Thanks Dave - will check them out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:14 am 

K7Baixo wrote:
tsunamichuck wrote:

Thanks...

I was on the NRS site and was looking at the two piece types. Why would one go with a two piece as opposed to a suit? Personal preference? Ease of getting in and out?

When you mention Neoprene, are you refering to a wet suit?

I used a 2 piece with bibs for economy plus the option to use different dry or semi dry tops. Wetsuit is neoprene and I think you will be served by it. Dave's suggestion is spot on, although I really like the IR semi drytops http://www.outdoorplay.com/store/Produc ... =PDT_IRCLM

If you choose a suit get a breathable one with booties. I found I do not need a relief zip with a front entry suit .

Oh, and BTW, I know quite a bit about kayaks.-

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:26 am 
tsunamichuck wrote:
Oh, and BTW, I know quite a bit about kayaks.-

Thanks and....no doubt.

Oh - PM your mailing address to me - got a little something to send you. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:02 am 
Dave probably can point you in the right direction. There was an article few months ago, I totally forgot where and from what forum it was linked to - comparison of cold water survival times. I think, they were talking about near-freezing water. IIRC, full wet suit and FJ don't differ much in protection, as they only add a couple dozen of minutes (compared to swimming trunks), while dry suit with warm underwear adds a couple of hours. So eventually if you are separated from your kayak you have very slim chances in wet suit, unless it happened in plain view of some well-trafficked area.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:42 am 

Alm wrote:
Dave probably can point you in the right direction. There was an article few months ago, I totally forgot where and from what forum it was linked to - comparison of cold water survival times. I think, they were talking about near-freezing water. IIRC, full wet suit and FJ don't differ much in protection, as they only add a couple dozen of minutes (compared to swimming trunks), while dry suit with warm underwear adds a couple of hours. So eventually if you are separated from your kayak you have very slim chances in wet suit, unless it happened in plain view of some well-trafficked area.

Water temps in the 50s-60s. Cold but a neoprene will work fine. Watch winter board surfers. They are in neoprene with water temps in th 40s.
I have spent quite a bit of time in cold water Image Image

Gerry has to worry about heat injuries also. Neoprene has some qualities that allow it to cool you down when out of the water. Those can be mitigated by a simple nylon windbreaker or paddle jacket.

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light