Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Practice agenda....
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:23 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

After spending a few hours with Chuck on his home waters, I realized that had I gone swimming, getting back in the kayak would have been a challenge under those conditions - I'm also sure that Chuck would have talked me through any difficulties though.

I took a class at Aqua Adventures last year and I'm ashamed to say that I have practiced any of the rescue techniques since. I don't want to put myself at risk nor do I want to put anyone else at risk.

I sent my folding-partners-in-crime an email and suggested that we go to the local lake and practice a few rescue techniques. Besides using the paddle float and doing an unassisted climb back into the kayak, what else would you suggest?

Bill the Duck has a Long Haul & Codewheeney has a Folbot. I can take either the Long Haul or the Impex and let them play with it. My assumption is that due to the width, trying to do a 'scoop' with a folder is going to be tough due to the width. I guess that helping to hold the kayak steady using a second one would be good practice also. What else?

Boy - after doing my first extended trip this year (partly with Chris/kavakamper) and then paddling with Chuck, I'm more excited about improving my skills further than I've ever been.

I know you guys are all old-hands at this but I see this as a way to do the things I enjoy - meet people, explore new territories and get some decent exercise. I know there's a risk factor but that can be managed with common sense, practice and knowledge. From what I've experienced this year, it just doesn't get any better than kayaking. The advice here from postings to PM have helped me and I can't thank you enough.

Long Haul Mark I
Impex Assateague

Post subject: Re: Practice agenda....
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:05 am 

My advice would be to learn one thing at a time, and concentrate on the basics first. It's better to have a small number of well-rehearsed and reliable rescues than lots of rescues you only half know. Your first objective should be to master one assisted and one solo rescue.

The standard T/X rescue is a good place to start, and getting it perfect will take a few sessions. You need to get it to the point where every move is instinctive and you're not figuring out what to do next. When you're fluid and confident with it, take it to rough water and practise it there - make sure you have at least 3 people for rough water sessions. When you can do a rescue with confidence in rough water you can move on to the next rescue.

The paddlefloat rescue is the usual starting point for solo rescues. It's an effective rescue in calm conditions, but gets rapidly more difficult as conditions get rougher. Learning it includes learning its limits.

2003 - Feathercraft Kahuna
2004 - Klepper Alu-lite (guest boat)
2005 - Feathercraft Khatsalano

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:43 am 
Site Admin

Nohoval's regime is exactly what I would recommend. The paddle float solo rescue is OK in mild seas (<2 ft), but gets hairy in waters rougher than that. Another concern with folders might be the high aft deck in some models; a low aft deck makes for easier entry.

The T/X assisted rescue is good in rougher conditions, if you take care to protect your hands when the boats bash each other. I have not tried it in rough conditions with any of my folders, however. I an leery of sliding another boat across the deck of my Cooper, although the Kodiak would take that no problem.

In any case, you can skip trying to empty the other boat, chances are, if the other boat has a sea sock. Should be easy to pump it out. The T/X is fast and reliable. Definitely the best, quickest one out there, and easy to learn.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:39 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Gerry,

I took a couple of courses with University of Sea kayaking instructor Wayne Horodowich. His rescue skills are very good. We tend to practice these skills most times we go out and play...though still not enough. Practice, practice, practice.

My feeling is that even though you may practice in calm water most of the time, the calm water gives you time to try different technics for recovery and you will find the best way for you and your individual boat. Whether it is a cowboy rescue, using a sling or what ever, figure which works best on each boat and get good at it.

Assisted rescue is the same, practice so that you can direct your partner in what to do to help themselves or you.

I am sure out there in Arizona there is nothing like getting wet on a hot day!

Chris

Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:55 am 

Thanks for the input - we don't have anything that resembles rough water there BUT if we're off to the side in one of the canyons, the boat traffic could possibly make it interesting. I'll keep it simple to the point where we're competent at one skill before trying something new.

Chris - you're right - nothing like the water here when it's predicted to be 110. We're doing this on the 31st so hopefully, the air temp will only be 107F. :D

Long Haul Mark I
Impex Assateague

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:04 am 

Quote:
we don't have anything that resembles rough water there BUT if we're off to the side in one of the canyons, the boat traffic could possibly make it interesting.

Well that should certainly focus the attention :shock:. With boat traffic around you really need rescues to be smoothe and quick. From initial contact to re-seated paddler should be less than 60 seconds. From that point you can decide whether to paddle out of danger, or to reattach the spray deck and do any pumping.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:08 am 

One final thing. If you really want to get into rescues, I've found this book very helpful

Sea Kayak Rescue, 2nd: The Definitive Guide to Modern Reentry and Recovery Techniques by Roger Schumann, Jan Shriner

The coverage is pretty complete, it's very tightly focused on rescue and recovery, and the descriptions and photographs are very good.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:11 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Take a trip out here this winter. We can look for whales and get in some surf play and deep water rescues. I am capsized each and every time ( well at least 95%) I paddle.

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:22 pm 

nohoval_turrets wrote:
Quote:
we don't have anything that resembles rough water there BUT if we're off to the side in one of the canyons, the boat traffic could possibly make it interesting.

Well that should certainly focus the attention :shock:. With boat traffic around you really need rescues to be smoothe and quick. From initial contact to re-seated paddler should be less than 60 seconds. From that point you can decide whether to paddle out of danger, or to reattach the spray deck and do any pumping.

Picture a steep canyon that's about ...oh... 60 - 100 yards wide. Most of the traffic stays fairly close to center or at least center/right or center/left. I sure we can find an area that safe and out of the middle to mimic rougher water than one would expect on a lake around here. Just trying to spice it up a bit after we practice in a more protected area. Makes sense?

Long Haul Mark I
Impex Assateague

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:28 pm 

tsunamichuck wrote:
Take a trip out here this winter. We can look for whales and get in some surf play and deep water rescues. I am capsized each and every time ( well at least 95%) I paddle.

OK - I'm not sure when I call pull it off. I know we'll try to come for AA's symposium too in late March. I owe my wife a trip to SC to see relatives and meet Paul aka BrazilBrasil. And then there's our trip to Manaus in July.

We're scheduled to go to Catalina in Nov. for a weekend. I wonder if she'd get really pissed if I brought a kayak along for our romantic get-away? There should be a Willow Beach trip in Oct also.

I really need to be retired with a good income. :( Working is getting in the way of fun and travel. Why couldn't I have been born rich instead of ruggedly handsome??!! :roll:

Long Haul Mark I
Impex Assateague

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:22 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

K7 wrote:

"I really need to be retired with a good income. :( Working is getting in the way of fun and travel. Why couldn't I have been born rich instead of ruggedly handsome??!! :roll:"

You are sounding more and more like me everyday! I've got one thing over on you though, retirement is nearer for me.....I think. 8)

C.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:13 pm 

For me, it's between 5 and 10 years out. Too many variables to nail it down further. Good thing that I like my job - as jobs go. Hope you enjoy your weekend Chris!

Long Haul Mark I
Impex Assateague

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:50 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Quote:
Working is getting in the way of fun and travel.

I feel your pain :)

Don't be fooled into thinking retirement is easy. Below are pics from this week showing just how stressful retirement can actually be......On Monday I have to go on the road for several days and 1500 miles of motorcycling... When will it all end :wink:

Regards, Tom

Another high pressure day at the Office... The commute can be brutal.

Another of those seemingly never ending "Offsites" (12,500ft)

Climbing to the top of the corporate ladder ( 14,000ft)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:55 pm 

I think this type of taunting should be banned from this site.

Long Haul Mark I
Impex Assateague

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:29 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I second that....it's torture :roll:

C.