Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Practice agenda....
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:05 pm 
Taunting ??? I'm simply offering you both a preview of what's to come.

Attached is a pic of my newest retirement sport.... " Kayak Hunting "... Just kidding... for those who would ever make the mistake of taking me seriously... with the possible exception of folding kayak building :)

I was born to retire.

Regards, Tom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:48 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I have some friends in Georgia (the country-- I lived there for a while) who might be able to make use of that rig...

Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:16 pm 
We had fun yesterday... t's, paddle floats, wet exits - it was a blast. We also learned that even w/ float bags, folders are a challenge when swamped.

Dude.

On the hardshell, I can get back in the kayak in less than 30-seconds if the paddle float is ready to go. It was amazing how easy it was once I got the hang of it. Only saw one paddle-float-rainbow yesterday to boot. :lol:

I think I'm gonna like this kayak-stuff. :P

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:34 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

K7Baixo wrote:
We had fun yesterday... t's, paddle floats, wet exits - it was a blast. We also learned that even w/ float bags, folders are a challenge when swamped.

Dude.

On the hardshell, I can get back in the kayak in less than 30-seconds if the paddle float is ready to go. It was amazing how easy it was once I got the hang of it. Only saw one paddle-float-rainbow yesterday to boot. :lol:

I think I'm gonna like this kayak-stuff. :P

Was out today doing some solo rescues. I am finding my narrow hardshell to be easier to re-enter than the Feathercraft. The main problem, of course is what is usually the quirk of folders, the high deck and getting over it. They tend to be more stable, but not necessarily as stable when trying to enter them.

I am finding that the high deck and the 'wobble' while climbing on is difficult. So I took my Feathercraft K-1 out and then my Valley Aquanaut. The beam is 25" on the K-1 and 21.5 on the Aquanaut. The deck is much lower on the Aquanaut. First I did some paddle float re-entry's and did fine with the K-1. It is a little difficult to keep the paddle perpendicular to the boat because of the deck rib . One good thing is that it has a strap at the rib to help. Next I tried to recover without a float or paddle. Impossible for me. The K-1 just wants to roll over on me when I try to 'jump' up over the deck. I need frog legs.

I then took out the Valley and did the same thing. Much easier with the paddle and float and I also recovered without a float or paddle, just 'jumping' up over the deck and carefully climbing in. I am convinced the low center of gravity and flat deck are key to easier recoveries. As long as I can do a recovery with both fairly easily, I have no worries. These are both relatively new boats to me.

This is the time of year to practice, practice, practice. It is amazing what you can discover about yourself and your boat(s) when doing so. :lol:

C.

Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:31 pm 
Yep. I sent a note to my buddies to see if they want to go up to Canyon Lake early next Sunday. I think I'll add a little wet time at the end of most outings - just for fun - and practice.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:27 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Me too....but not Canyon lake :lol:

C.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:16 pm 
kayakamper wrote:
Me too....but not Canyon lake :lol:

C.

:arrow: Delta is ready when you are.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:08 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

As you know, I have extinguished all of my Delta F.F. points recently :cry:

...But, yesterday was a beautiful day for the practice agenda. Here is a favorite locale to do just that, me and my Aquanaut and Stone Mountain lake. :)

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:47 pm 
Stone Mountain - I know that place.

Bill the Duck and I had a very enjoyable outing yesterday. We launched from the ramps at Canyon Lake and did a circumnavigation of the lower portion of the lake including several small canyon off-shoots. The water in these canyons was...interesting. The top 8" of so was completely clear but under that were clouds of silt. Looking down, it appeared to be only a foot deep or so when in fact, it was much deeper.

When we stopped at the marina for lunch, we discovered that the floating docks were a good 30+ inches above the water line. I got Kevin to steady my kayak a little and then I pulled myself up and out. After I parked my kayak on the dock itself, I laid down flat to reach and steady his Long Haul. He was able to climb out without much drama.

Obviously, we had the lunch crowd watching our every step which only added to the difficulties.

After lunch, we reversed the procedure and again, we climbed back down and in without any real issues.

We went back towards the boat launch and I did two forced re-entries ....and one unforced reentry. :roll:

All totaled, it was only about 8.5 miles but for the first time ever, I paddled without feeling the need for speed and exercise. . The focus was on relaxation and enjoying the tour.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:49 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

K7 quote:
"All totaled, it was only about 8.5 miles but for the first time ever, I paddled without feeling the need for speed and exercise. . The focus was on relaxation and enjoying the tour."

'Dat what it be all about Dude.

Actually, you should have dove off the dock, swam to your boat and executed a nice self rescue. That would have gotten the lunch crowd excited :lol:

C.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:11 pm 
kayakamper wrote:

Actually, you should have dove off the dock, swam to your boat and executed a nice self rescue. That would have gotten the lunch crowd excited :lol:

C.

It's gonna sound funny but my fear of water means I never learned to dive.

The lunch crowd overlooked the water from essentially the second floor balcony. We sat outside also and the size of the carp that we could now see in the water was astounding. Those suckers, swimming along with the ducks, were easily in the 3 foot range.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:00 pm 
kayakamper wrote:
Was out today doing some solo rescues. I am finding my narrow hardshell to be easier to re-enter than the Feathercraft. The main problem, of course is what is usually the quirk of folders, the high deck and getting over it. They tend to be more stable, but not necessarily as stable when trying to enter them.

I did several rescue exercises this year both with my Big Kahuna and my narrow hardshell.
I experienced the opposite than you: to get back into the Big Kahuna is a breeze for me, just pulling myself up on the aft deck and doing a cowboy scramble and I am in, that boat is extremely stable all the time.
I would have thought the K1 would be even more stable, but perhaps the K1 sits higher in the water (did you do your exercises with an otherwise empty boat without bags etc.)?
On the other hand I have no chance yet (I keep practicing!) to enter my hardshell without paddle and any other help. It is just way to tippy (or rather I am way to clumsy) and the cockpit opening too small (I need to raise myself in order to thread my legs into it - no chance of just sitting down and pulling the legs in, like I can do in the Big Kahuna).

On second thoughts: I always use the rolling rib in my Khahuna, maybe that and a generally lower point of gravity than compared to the K1 (really?) is the "secret" that I get different results?

Alex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:30 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Alex,

I think the K-1 is actually a little harder to enter than the Kahuna and it is probably because it does sit higher out of the water. Also, the strap at the center of the deck for the paddle is the only cinch to use. It is possible the deck is a little higher than the Kahuna. I no longer own a Kahuna, so I am not sure. All of that makes it a little harder to hoist myself onto the deck.

It is not too difficult with the K-1 mind you, but I was suprised to be able to get into my Valley Aquanaut a lot easier. For me, I guess it is all about the deck.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:34 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

K7Baixo wrote:

It's gonna sound funny but my fear of water means I never learned to dive.

The lunch crowd overlooked the water from essentially the second floor balcony. We sat outside also and the size of the carp that we could now see in the water was astounding. Those suckers, swimming along with the ducks, were easily in the 3 foot range.

Actually, now that I think about it. Don't dive with a PFD on. That would be a wierd feeling.

Funny, I am not crazy about the wet stuff either. :roll:

C.