Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:15 am 
Hi all. First time with this forum.
Does anyone know where I can get instructions for dissembling my kayak? I have it out of the skin, no problem there. But I'm having GREAT difficulty in pulling the tent like aluminum frame apart to pack into the bag. Any tips, tricks, etc would be greatly appreciated. When I brought it, it was already assembled so I dont know what I am doing and I dont want to cause any damage to the frame/kayak.
Does anyone know of a link to the instructions?

Thanks, I'm keen to hear from anyone with ideas, techniques, links to instructions.
Regards, Cam.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:20 am 
Hey Cam,

I remember reading here about Feathercrafts' aluminum frames having vulnerability to "seizing" if left assembled too long. I recall statements that this is more likely to occur with kayaks used in salt water. Perhaps a search of the forum for "seize" "feathercraft" "frame" might lead you to discussions about ways to correct the problem. Good luck. C.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:45 pm 
faltbootemeister

I went to nautiraid.com to see if there was anything to download, or some other page on their website that would walk the user through the process and found only 3D Assembly animation - which is pretty slick. I don't think this helps you apart from showing that end pieces have a spring-loaded sleeve which seems to be a locking device at the connect point.

Retracting that ( which was coded "Red" in the animation ) might be the trick, but I'm assuming you've already tried everything, else you wouldn't be posting here.

Perhaps the tubing has not so much kinked or bent, but possibly arc'd or flared a bit putting strain on the connect points.

Whatever the case, the purpose of posting is to say that I found nothing on the Nautiraid website that might assist readily. That's having looked through all their menus as well as their site map.

What appears as your only recourse is to follow-up with info@nautiraid.com the manufacturer ... or Seda Kayaks, the USA representative of Nautiraid's gear, which I believe can be contacted at - nautiraid@sedakayak.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:17 am 
Thanks for the responses, I have searched for 'seize' and found a lot (although not quite ready to go the hacksaw just yet - terminally hopeful I am).

Kenton, you mentioned a 3D assembly animation on the nautiraid.com site, can you give me the link please because I cannot find it and was not aware of the spring loaded locking devices. That might help me out a fair bit (I'm hoping.)

Thanks again for the replies, I appreciate your help.

Regards, Cam.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:54 pm 
faltbootemeister

ivy1010 wrote:
Thanks for the responses, I have searched for 'seize' and found a lot (although not quite ready to go the hacksaw just yet - terminally hopeful I am).

Kenton, you mentioned a 3D assembly animation on the nautiraid.com site, can you give me the link please because I cannot find it and was not aware of the spring loaded locking devices. That might help me out a fair bit (I'm hoping.)

Thanks again for the replies, I appreciate your help.

Regards, Cam.

Yes, by all means ...

Go here ( being an English-only speaker, I chose the English language on the site ... ) then under 'Manufacture' link I found this :

http://nautiraid.com/nautiraid-manufacture-assembly-gb.html

Simply click on the link which looks like a thumbnail of a media player window ... { Raid I 325 Touring Alu }

Hope this does something positive for you.

Regards,

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:05 pm 
Hi Kenton and thanks so much for that.
I managed to get it all folded, although I failed to get the end pieces off (no 'red' locking device on mine but I'll have another look) so its a bit bulkier than it should be.
The main thing I found that worked (simple as it sounds) was to twist and pull at the same time, along with some brute strength (lol I'm a wuss and my 13 year old son helped me) and determination. It hadn't been folded in approx 2-3 years so I hope this gives hope and help to anyone else with a similar problem.

Thanks again for the replies and help!!

Regards, Cam.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:17 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Not so fast, IVY, you're not done yet. :) You need to get some Boeshield T-9 and apply onto and into the tubes, anywhere there is contact alloy-to-alloy. The stuff not only lubricates and protects from corrosion it will actually remove oxidization. You can get it at Sears or West Marine. A little goes a long way.

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

T-9 won't remove corrosion from aluminum. It's just wax. Removing aluminum corrosion is extremely difficult, as aluminum oxide is a very hard mineral.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:59 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Correct, the original T-9 will remove surface oxidization but it won't do anything to remove corrosion. For heavy corrosion you may need to address mechanically, although that is clearly the last resort. First try the Boeshield solution:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... 928468000P

I have never used it but I have a lot of confidence in the company and would give it a try.

Best,
g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor