Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paddle techniques -
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:13 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Trying to learn how to paddle my Klepper T9 has revealed many flaws in my paddling abilities.

So along with wondering if anyone has an instructional link that they really like... I have a question about using my Greenland Paddle.

I've been using a GP paddle for about a year now and I really like it. But I'm wondering if it may be a bit long for this boat. The boat has a 25" beam and the GP is 240 cm. I'm wondering if I'm digging into the water too much with this paddle. How deep should I be digging the paddle on the 'standard' forward stroke?

I tried paddling much 'lighter' and steadier today to try and maintain an even, straight course. Instead I fell into a gentle turn. Instead of correcting it I just kept on paddling as even as possible to see if I could pull it out naturally and go straight. That didn't happen. After completing a rather large circle I stopped and started over. This time I fell into a circle going the other direction and just about the same size, probably about 200 feet in diameter. What am I doing wrong? There was a moderate breeze blowing and this boat does seem to weather cock rather easily... but I don't think this is the problem.

dennis

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

Post subject: Re: Paddle techniques -
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:51 pm 
recent arrival

Hi

The following is an excellent video, about 1 hour long and much of it demonstrated on a kayak ergometer.

A movie of the detailed discussion that took place at the 2011 Delmarva Paddlers Retreat in Rehoboth Beach Delaware on the techniques of efficient Greenland paddle strokes. Discussion between two of the top Greenland paddlers, Maligiaq Padilla and Greg Stamer.

http://vimeo.com/35661065

There is also a followup summary post of some of the principles that were being discussed.

http://www.gregstamer.com/2012/01/27/fo ... and-paddle

Your paddle might be considered a bit long, but as can be seen from this poll of GP measurements from the Qajaq USA forum, there is quite a bit of variability and personal preference involved.

http://www.qajaqusa.org/Equipment/paddle_poll.html

John

Post subject: Re: Paddle techniques -
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:24 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Thanks very much John, very interesting video. Went by pretty quickly as well. Really appreciate these links.

Dennis

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP