Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bilgepump
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:46 pm 
faltbootemeister

who has a folder with footbilgepump???
how installed in combination with a seasock?
experiences?

br hannes

Post subject: Re: bilgepump
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:41 pm 
Not me. I simply use a normal tube double action pump and put it into boat and pump away.
Ensure it is long enough to get down through neck of spray deck. Remember, if your boat gets completely flooded, it will below down it water, therefore, if deck is not on, waves will keep dumping water in faster than you can pump it out !

I have installed and used tube and circular pumps on my racing boats and Sea Kayaks that had bulkhead type footrest systems. It requires quite a lot a pressure to operate them and you will find yourself pushed back against back rest.
My first Nordkapp (mid 80's) had a pump installed on right side behind cockpit. WRONG side. should have been on left to enable me to low brace on right, while pumping.

I have ALWAYS used float bags to fill up dead space in my kayaks. ENSURE they are tied into boat, as when flooded, they will not exert floatation to boat and get washed out by waves. If going cheap and cheerful with using empty plastic bottles, put them in mesh custom built bags, then tie those in.
Some very cheap high volume 100 litres?, tough float bags can be those polyethylene double skin bags from Mcdonalds or any place that dispenses Choke etc, from Counter top dispensers.
In the neck you will see a piece with 6x holes in. Put this in boiling water, and when hot, remove with pliers. They can be blown up with a PVC tube and then capped if unable to blow up orally when in storage area.
Cheep and cheerful.

Post subject: Re: bilgepump
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:47 pm 
Addendum, I HATE electronic stuff around boats, BUT, with gel batteries now available, maybe a electric pump may be a option ? doesn't require permanent fixing. Ensure it is fixed to frame or it WILL be lost when SHTF.

Get recycled batteries from a Security Co. who swap them out every 2x years from security alarm systems. FREE !
Exit tube can be run up through neck of spray deck when used in anger and paddle onwards. (or brace frantically)
Just a thought..