Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:24 am 
DHL dropped off a large box at my front door around noon yesterday. Can you believe I am too busy to even look at it until this weekend? :(

With time permitting, I plan to give my new Cooper it's maiden voyage at Newport Beach tomorrow. Will post about it on this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:35 pm 
New gear doesn't exist until you provide pictures. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:15 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

That's right. That's the new rule around here :lol: . I am curious to see what improvements they've made on the Cooper as well. Hey, it's Friday evening here on the East Coast, the weekend is here! 8)

Chris
Atlanta, Ga.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:54 pm 
OK guys, does this count? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:02 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

For now it does. We'll give you credit for a quick response :lol:

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:25 am 
Well I had the chance to take out my Cooper this Sunday morning. Unfortunately, things didn't go as planned.

Instead of driving out to Dana Point (farther from my house), I decided lake Mission Viejo was only a couple of miles away and would be a better place for a test run. I packed everything up and drove to the lake, then spent a little time trying to find a suitable place to lay everything out and do a first assembly. Just when I started to unpack, I noticed that I didn't bring a PFD with me. You cannot go out on the lake without one (rules), so into the truck everything went back in.

After arriving home to get the PFD, I (for some unknown reason) decided that Dana Point should be the first launching point afterall. So I drove the 15 miles to arrive at Dana Point's "moon beach", which is a protected area that is perfect for launching small boats. I took everything out of the truck, including the folbot bag which I carried as a backpack and walked over to a grassy area for assembly. By this time it was around 11am, and the sun was starting to heat things up a bit. I removed everything from the bag and sat down to read the instructions. One of the first things I read was that you should lubricate the contact area's of the aluminum frame with silicone (which I didn't have). It also said the seam between the hull & deck should be sealed with sealant (included by Folbot). I thought about it for a minute or two, looked over the instructions a little more, then packed everything up and went home.

Well, I already knew I should do a first assembly at home, but figured I'd try it at a paddling location anyway. It didn't work out, so I do plan to assemble the Cooper in the comfort/convenience of the family room in our house when time permits. That way I will have all the time I need, and can also take care of the lube/sealant needs before putting the boat in saltwater.

Btw, I did take a picture of the package contents while at Dana Point, but the sun reflected off the plastic bags so much that it really isn't worth posting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:58 pm 
JCBII, I usually carry with me a 10'x16' tarp for my kayak assembly/dissasembly. This way parts do not get contaminated with sand and debris, and also it is easy to keep everything together without misplacing some parts in the grass or sand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:16 pm 
Gregn,

That is is good idea. I think I will stop by Home Depot on the way home from work today and pick up one of those blue tarps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:26 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Too bad JCBII about a nonlaunch Sunday. I think I would have put it together and do the lake...even for a few minutes....but that's me.

Here in Atlanta it is a little bit of a chore to get to water. We would find it tough not to get in the water for a little while. We envy you coastal people out there.

Good luck next trip, whenever that will be.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:21 am 
You are right, Kayakamper. I should appreciate the fact that I am only a few minutes away from the Pacific Ocean. I certainly find time to complain about all the things I don't like about So. California, so I should be fair and mention the benefits of living here. The Pacific Ocean is one of them.

But that's not where the Cooper's first trip was meant to be. A coworker (and good friend) wanted to go kayaking in Newport's "Back Bay" last Saturday, so I made sure I had the Cooper ready for the trip. Below is a picture of the frame being put into the skin for the first time:

Here is a close-up of the Gunrails (am I saying that right?) that connect to the Stern. According to the instructions, you are not supposed to connect them to the attachment point until the frame has been fully inserted into the skin, and you have adjusted the length of the frame by turning the adjusting knob - which, of course, tightens the Cooper's shell/skin.

After I completed the Cooper, I decided to take a picture of it in the game room where it was assembled. Each time I held up the camera, Zoe would walk by the Kayak trying to get her picture taken. After chasing her away several times - only to have her walk right back in front of me - my wife finally got annoyed and said "Just take the darn picture! Who cares if Zoe is in it?". So here is a picture of the completed kayak with the Neo-nylon spray skirt attached. And, of course, Zoe the mutt.

My friend, Mike, showed up on Saturday, and off we went. Only we didn't go to Newport's Back Bay. I said to Mike "you know, Mission Viejo Lake has Cobra SOT's that they rent out for $2 per hour, and I believe the Kayaks at Newport are around $25 per hr". So we ended up going to Mission Viejo lake for the Cooper's maiden voyage. This turned out to be a good idea, as the water is very calm, and I needed it to become familiar with the Cooper. I know everyone says the Cooper is very stable, but I actually found it to be "tippy" when I first entered the cockpit. It took me about a 1/2 hour to become comfortable paddling this boat, and not tipping to one side or the other. I did have a sharp pain in my spine, and kept thinking "@%&$, this seat is uncomfortable". But then I finally reached around my back and discovered that the seat-back fell down as I was getting in the boat, and I had been sitting on top of it all that time. I paddled to a dock, got out of the boat, and put the seat-back up. Wow, what a difference! Much more comfortable.

Well, it's late, so I will continue this at a later date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:59 am 
Site Admin

JCBII,

Those things are usually called gunnels, which is a perversion of gunwales: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunnel or, vice versa, if you like. Actually, the long pieces you describe are usually called longerons. A gunwale is the outer rim of an open boat, like a canoe or a skiff.

But, no matter what you call them, they look good in that boat.

How was the assembly?

On that seat: lots of folks do not like it. I bungied the back to the top longeron (underdecks) so it would not flop forward. That works better.

In the end, I wanted a more custom fit, so I made a minicell seat and put in an aftermarket backband. With those improvements, I am really locked in there.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:34 am 
krudave wrote:

How was the assembly?

On that seat: lots of folks do not like it. I bungied the back to the top longeron (underdecks) so it would not flop forward. That works better.

In the end, I wanted a more custom fit, so I made a minicell seat and put in an aftermarket backband. With those improvements, I am really locked in there.

Well I hate to admit it, but my first assembly took about 3hrs. What can I say? I'm slow I guess. I spent a lot of time reading the instructions, and also applying silicone grease to all the fittings. I can honestly say that I don't believe I will ever be able to set the boat up in 15 minutes, as some have claimed. I'm guessing that it will probably take me around 45minutes - maybe 30 minutes if I do everything right. But at this point I'm really just guessing.

After Lake Mission Viejo I left the Cooper assembled and currently have it hanging in the garage. I think it would be easier to just assemble it before going to the paddling destination. Of course, this defeats the whole purpose for buying this boat. My wife would kill me if she heard me say this, but I'm still considering buying something like an Innova Helios (the new single) for easy setup at the harbor. It would also work out as a pack boat that could be carried on my motorcycle. The Cooper is portable, but I'm not sure if it would qualify as "convenient". The verdict is still out on that.

Performance on calm water was just awesome, however, and I had a great time paddling the Cooper. I really appreciated how smooth it was, and how far it would glide before I would have to start paddling again. Definitely a fun boat on protected waters. It required so little effort to paddle that I only thought we were out on the lake for an hour, when Mike reminded me that we had been paddling for over 2hrs. He had developed blisters on his hands, so we went back in and headed home. The 4pc Werner paddle that I added as an option when purchasing the Cooper is "hands down" the nicest paddle that I have ever used. I'm not sure if I could use a cheap paddle after using the Werner. It felt weightless in my hands, and I'm sure it would be comfortable for day long kayaking.

I need to take the "first strokes" class again before I take the Cooper on the open ocean. But then, I'm wondering how well this boat will do in open water with bigger waves and stronger winds. Has anyone done any coastal paddling with a Cooper? I would like to read any thoughts on this subject. Especially how hard re-entry would be in the event of a capsize. I might reserve any open water paddling for my Pygmy, and just keep the Cooper on lakes, rivers, and protected harbors.

Here is a picture of the Cooper after I got back from Lake Mission Viejo:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:56 am 
Site Admin

JCB,

After the skin has taken a set, to conform to the best layout for the longerons, setup is a lot faster. I think it takes me half an hour to put my Cooper together, although I cartop it, most of the time. Leave yours assembled for a few weeks, so the skin gets used to where the longerons need to be.

As to coastwise paddling: I would not take it through surf over about 2 feet, but I've had mine in some very rough water on the Columbia River and on Willapa Bay. It stacks up well, certainly as reliable as my hardshell. Swells are actually easier on folders than short-period wind chop.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:48 pm 
Quote:
I did have a sharp pain in my spine, and kept thinking "@%&$, this seat is uncomfortable". But then I finally reached around my back and discovered that the seat-back fell down as I was getting in the boat, and I had been sitting on top of it all that time. I paddled to a dock, got out of the boat, and put the seat-back up. Wow, what a difference! Much more comfortable.

You better listen to Dave. Backrest is one thing - probably needs something similar to FC straps around rib and longerons, and later you'll "discover" the seat (unless they've changed something radically). It sits on the keelsen, and your bottom will feel it. To my best knowledge, there are no good (i.e. compact) solutions by users. Foam seat works well, but it's going to be a bulky piece to pack when you'd want to fly. The bulkiest part in the bag, perhaps. May be not much bulkier than their standard seat - didn't have a close look. With FC sling system it is compact, as there is very lttle foam - still the keelsen sometimes feels through, may be when it's not tightened properly in front ( front of the seat should always be higher than its back - this is correct anatomical position, in any seat).

Assembling times are very individual, but normally you may count on reliably repeated 15 minutes assembling only if it has very few parts and very little tension in the frame at that. Like Tom's hybride inflatables (or very short boats with open cockpit).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:06 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Don't feel guilty about keeping it assembled. I keep my Kahuna assembled all of the time. We are lucky to have the space! I disassemble it to clean it and travel. The latter is really why many own a folder. Besides, so what if it is assembled all of the time. You also buy the boat because of how it rides in the water.

Your boat looks great! 8)

Chris
Big Red Kahuna
Atlanta, Ga.