Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

Alex wrote: You better listen to Dave. Backrest is one thing - probably needs something similar to FC straps around rib and longerons, and later you'll "discover" the seat (unless they've changed something radically). It sits on the keelson, and your bottom will feel it. To my best knowledge, there are no good (i.e. compact) solutions by users. Foam seat works well, but it's going to be a bulky piece to pack when you'd want to fly. The bulkiest part in the bag, perhaps. May be not much bulkier than their standard seat - didn't have a close look.

Actually, the minicell seat I carved is pretty small. Smaller than the original seat bottom, in fact. With the backband, the total package is smaller than the original seat. The original seat is pretty uncomfortable after about an hour, for me.

I am flattered, however, Alex, at the compliment. :oops:

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:47 pm 
krudave wrote:
Actually, the minicell seat I carved is pretty small. Smaller than the original seat bottom, in fact. With the backband, the total package is smaller than the original seat. The original seat is pretty uncomfortable after about an hour, for me.

I am flattered, however, Alex, at the compliment.

No problem. Somehow this didn't stand out in your post about curving the foam seat, but Cooper's original seat pad seems to be more p.i.t.a. (literally), than their original backrest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:23 am 
Well, first I want to say that I am surprised my last message (w/picture) posted to this thread. I encountered one of those dreaded "Microsoft has encountered an error" messages, and it terminated Explorer before I had a chance to save/post the message. So I am both pleasantly surprised and confused to come back here and find out that the message had somehow been saved. :?:

Dave, after reading your message, I decided that the skin wasn't completely aligned properly (just off maybe 1/4 to 1/2" on bow), so I made several adjustments, then retightened the thingy-ma-jiggy at the stern and inflated the sponsoons. Everything is tight now, so I will let it set the 2 weeks necessary to take a set.

If anyone wants to see a picture of the seat, I will take it out of the Cooper when I get a chance and snap a picture of it. For the two hours that I used it, I found it to be comfortable. It is a fairly hard piece that appears to be molded to fit your backside, so maybe they made changes to it since the original? Now that I have been riding motorcycles, I actually equate a firm, semi-hard seat with long distance comfort. I didn't feel the keelsen coming through the seat, but that was my first time out, so I'll know as time goes by. If a problem occurs, I might just try putting the therm-a-rest pad from the Pygmy Coho on top of the Cooper's seat to see how that feels. But so far no problems.

Kayakamper, as far as local paddling goes, I believe you are right. It is easier to just leave it assembled and car-top it to the local waters. I wanted to avoid buying a rack, but I'm going to have to make that investment. I would have had to buy one anyway, as I will need it for the Pygmy when it's completed. And I do have the option of packing it up for traveling.