Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "FOLBOT HOLIDAYS"
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:38 am 
While browsing through a local used book store, I was delighted to come across two editions of Kissner's "Folbot Holidays" from the '60s. Absolutely fascinating information and photos on folding kayaking at that time (hardly a pfd or any other piece of safety gear to be seen in any of the photos!)

I've put a sample of the content at
http://users.imag.net/~lon.jbcumming/FO ... LIDAYS.htm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:29 am 
The young female in the image, FOLBOTV3_2.jpg, appears to be same model used in the Folbot Super assembly instructions I received with 1968 square-stern I owned briefly.

C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:12 pm 
I've read in Ralph Diaz book that most of those wooden frame boats were discontinued in 1980s when current Folbot management with the owner and engineer Phil Cotton stepped in. Prior to that, they were making too many models, including kits and hardshells, and quality began to suffer. Phil knows what he is doing - he's got a knack for both engineering and marketing. If he wasn't that good in marketing, may be his boats would've have had slightly better quality ;-) ... But not much - they are good enough as they are. Experimenting with models like Cooper or even sail rigs of unorthodox concept - furling mainsail - looks like toying without much profit, but high volume of total sales probably provides enough margin for that.

The future belongs to aluminum and composite frames, I think (currently own both wooden and aluminum). Wooden frames are difficult and expensive to make.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:44 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Folbot Holidays is still available from Folbot (or, at least, it was a couple of years ago). It's the '60s printing-- they still have a bunch sitting on the shelf!

Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:27 am 
The real problem with the wooden frames is that you have to be like Tarzan in the picture Folbotv3_6.jpg, inorder to manage the weight without having your sweetie think you are a wimp. That is why I have been practicing lifting my Super up to the roof rack.

Who needs health club memberships, when all you need is an old wood frame Folbot. That's the problem with paddlers today, they think they need carbon fibre and Aluminum to catch the gal, but read the other page Folbotv3_8, where we read paddling a Folbot is the real way to a woman's heart.

Gee I knew I was onto something when I saw my first Folbot back in the early 60's. Why did I have to wait so long to get my 73 Super until 2004?

TnT

Ps. I should note, my wife does think it is pretty cute now that I had her out in it, so some of the magic must still be working!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:01 pm 
TnT, you might be on to something...
FOLBOT HOLIDAYS wrote:
Folbot smarter men and lovely Women knew it right along, what a National Magazine just discovered now... There is more romance, and more girls become engaged after a single day of paddling, than while chasing around all summer in speed boats!

Wow, who would have ever thought of folders as a romantic secret! :wink: