Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Edisto Issue
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:23 am 
Site Admin

Folbot has reissued the Edisto, which went off the radar for a couple years. We decided to get one, equipped with a "minideck" for use as a tender on the mothership. The minideck covers just the ends, leaving a bigger target when you are stepping over the side of a boat into the Edisto. It arrived yesterday, in all its black and teal glory. Just getting into the bags, but will have to wait a day or two to put it together.

I am struck, however, at the improved fit and finish of the frame parts. the use of pop rivets has been reduced. In particular, I am pleased to see that all of the longerone clips are secured to ribs with sturdy stainless bolts, lock nutted in place, in lieu of the rivets. I only see rivets in a couple of places, where they have lots of surface area of contact -- that's where rivets are appropriate. They were not good for holding clips on.

The stock flotation bags are bigger and look more durable, also.

More later.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:28 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Anxious to see some pics when you have time to put it together Dave. I always thought the boat was a great versitle idea....then is disappeard.

I guess timing is everything. Bring it out with the Fish & Photo package was a well timed idea for the kayak fishing set. Did you order that accessory?

Chris

Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:28 am 
Site Admin

Chris,

No, I did not go for the Fish/Photo package. We plan to use the Edisto as a tender for the power boat, mainly. Here are some photos: http://www.pbase.com/bartenderdave/edisto

And, a report on how it performs on the water, including some comments on the Werner Kalliste paddle:

Did a few miles in wind and current in my new Edisto the other day, and subsequently disassembled and reassembled the boat for the first time. As with the first Edisto I saw a few years ago, second assembly went much easier than the first. Anybody new to the Edisto who might be discouraged by the tightness of the washboards at the ends as they fit under the end caps should paddle the boat to help the washboards take the "set" they need for easier fit. The difference on second assembly is remarkable.

Deburred and treated joints and tubing ends with lubricant (a Boeshield knockoff) ... which also made things go faster. I think the Edisto is an easy boat to put together. No zippers, and the decks come off easily for packing and readjusting footpegs, etc.

I think it would be easy to move the footpegs back a frame and situate an adult rearward a bit, to allow space (and trim) for a small person or dog up front, if the end decks were omitted. Only take a set of fittings, per the attachments at the front of the footpegs, and some pop rivets, I think.

As to how it paddled: extremely well. I was up against a hardshell double and three hardshell singles. No trouble staying ahead of the singles, but the double beat me in a sprint. The boat is surprisingly quick for a beamy, short boat. What really impressed me, however, was its neutrality in wind: no weather- or lee-cocking to speak of. Corrective strokes needed were minimal. Turns quickly enough with a bow rudder or sweeps.

My only complaint is the length of the stock paddle (which I have not used). I paddled the Edisto with a 220 cm bent shaft Werner Kalliste and it is plenty of paddle for this boat. Nobody needs a longer paddle for this boat. After a while, the Kalliste got swapped for a 235 cm Swift Seaswift, which has more blade area than the Kalliste: this is too much paddle for this boat. It would take a real animal to get full use of this paddle in an Edisto.

This was my first real test of the Kalliste; the second paddle I have acquired in 15 seasons of active kayaking for use in a single. I'm a cheapskate; I almost never buy new gear, and resisted upgrading from my one-piece no-feather small-blade-area epoxy-fiberglass shafted Lightning. Aside from the relief from wrist tendinitis the bent shaft provides (my main reason for selecting this paddle), the Kalliste has an innovative ferrule system which allows for feather angles in fifteen degree increments. It is astounding. And bombproof. You can not see the engineering which allows the two halves to index, but the system works really well.

Plus, the Kalliste is the freakingest lightest paddle I have ever used: foam core blades and carbon fiber shaft. Incredible. I made the mistake of loaning the Kalliste to someone in the double, and she would not give it back!

Anybody wanting to please his/her paddling sweetie should check out the Kalliste (or its smaller-bladed cousin the Athena) as a Christmas gift. they ain't cheap, but they are very good. Probably something Client Number Nine would appreciate.
:roll: :lol:

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:36 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Dave,

Nice thorough report. Sounds like a nice boat. See, this is why my idea that members of this forum, or those ( you, Mark and others ) who have access to many new boats should consider a collaboration with Ralph Diaz and publish a 3rd addition of The Complete Folding Kayaker.

Most of what is there doesn't need to change, we just need the new boats in there that are missing in the second addition.

Cooper, Edisto, Citibot, Kiawah, Wisper, Ute just to name a few!

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

kayakamper wrote:
this is why my idea that members of this forum, or those ( you, Mark and others ) who have access to many new boats should consider a collaboration with Ralph Diaz and publish a 3rd addition of The Complete Folding Kayaker.
Not in my future. Not enough money in it to justify the labor. In addition, the ready access to forums like this one undercuts demand for such a publication. I own one of the editions, and it was very useful prior to the growth of information available on the 'Net. I believe Ralph is not in a mode to do another one, anyway. I have not been able to get an email through to him for five years or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:33 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Please don't say books are going the way of CD's. It's hard to curl up with a good lap top, but folks are out there trying! :roll:

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:29 pm 
Site Admin

kayakamper wrote:
Please don't say books are going the way of CD's.
Not saying that. Saying that a book on folding kayaks has a very small niche market, perhaps already fulfilled by forums like this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:03 pm 
This forum is great, no doubt there... but it was Diaz's BOOK that (after frequent reference/ coffee table perusals) convinced my spouse that acquiring our first folding boats was a good (actually, great!) idea... it would have been a hard sell, if I'd had to lure him to the computer each time I wanted to point out the different levels of fun that could be had with a travelable boat. The book lounged around our house for a while, he'd read a bit here & a bit there... I don't think you'll ever get the full effect of a good book from any other media. I do get the point that it's a lot of (perhaps under-appreciated!) work, & maybe it's not time yet... but this particular book was enormously valuable to me, in getting started with folding kayaks-- I hope future editions will follow, encompassing new boats on the market. Can't be replaced with other resources, in my opinion, for newcomers to folding-kayak shenanigans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:06 pm 
Hello,

My first post on the forum is to say that I entirely agree with, and endorse the comments voiced so eloquently by tcs.

The qualities that only a well written book can bring to the fore can never be replicated in any other medium.

As an enthusiastic newcomer to kayaks I was delighted to find a copy of the excellent Sea Kayaking Illustrated - A Visual Guide to Better Paddling, by John Robison. It is not only extremely informative and full of enthusiasm, but utterly hilarious. I was laughing out loud as I browsed the contents!

I intend to buy the Diaz book, despite the time lapse since publication as I will doubtless learn from, and enjoy having the book.

I wonder if an updated version could be produced in an A5 ring-binder format which could be printed in small batch runs to be economically viable.

Regards,

AeroNautiCal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:37 pm 
Quote:
The qualities that only a well written book can bring to the fore can never be
replicated in any other medium.

Welcome to the forum. Though I certainly understand your point, there are situations
where a well written book is not the best solution.

For example....My builder e-manuals contain hundreds of medium to large format color
photographs which would be impractical and extremely expensive to replicate in a book.

Of greater importance are the real time update capabilties available to me.

If Ralph Diaz had chosed an e-book format, perhaps he could have updated his
book whenever required to keep it current.

http://www.yostwerks.com/

Regards, Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:20 am 
Quote:
This forum is great, no doubt there... but it was Diaz's BOOK that (after frequent reference/ coffee table perusals) convinced my spouse that acquiring our first folding boats was a good (actually, great!) idea

What convinced me to buy a folder, was
1) Urban living (no private garage);
2) Desire to paddle;
3) Desire to paddle beyond the area of my close neigborhood.
The only solution was buying a folder - Dias's book had nothing to do with this fact. The existence of such a phenomenon as a folder was known to me, though.

Diaz is a folding kayaks evangelist, and his book is great, and I have it. But if you have already seen and paddled and compared a number of models, you can't help but notice that his descriptions/comparisons between the models and brands are so concise, almost evasive - it's hardly possible to make a right choice based solely on this info. He didn't won't to hurt anybody's feelings, - may be this was the reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:22 pm 
Hello Tom,

I agree with your point entirely, however, my point, as quoted, referred to the context stated by tcs, having the book at home without reference to a computer.

As a former professional motorcycle workshop owner I fully appreciate the benefit of e-books, websites and forums, they're fantastic, incomparable and a joy to use.

Regards,

AeroNautiCal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:32 pm 
Quote:
As a former professional motorcycle workshop owner...

AeroNautiCal,
I can see that we are going to get along splendidly :wink:

Regards,
Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:58 pm 
Tom,

You Sir, have excellent taste in motorcycles and colour schemes thereof!

Beautiful!

Regards,

AeroNautiCal.