Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:15 am 
Nice wee boat that. I'd be tempted if it was less beamy, I could keep it in the boot for impromptu rolling sessions. But I bet it will hit a sweet spot for a lot of people.

Interesting design choice to have the sponsons separate to the skin. Am I right in thinking that it has no foot pegs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:33 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

I just got my folbot newsletter. Price shown is $999.00 advertised as an introductory offer. It is indeed a bit beamy, but a good idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlsE2Ym9i-E

One interesting note, the newsletter is so new that I could not yet get into the Citibot link. I imagine they will have it up and running today.

Chris

Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

Now that the new site is up, the price has been announced: $999. Not too bad, really. A decent 10' poly boat will cost you about $600, and this boat will last a lot longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:12 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Finally! It looks like Folbot is really going head-to-head with Pakboats! It's about time! Pakboats' prices have been creeping up... this sounds like it will rock them a bit. Is the Citibot made in South Carolina??
(x Carolina corrected)

Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

Last edited by chrstjrn on Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:31 pm 
I'm no expert but the new website is very well designed IMHO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:43 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

chrstjrn wrote:
Finally! It looks like Folbot is really going head-to-head with Pakboats! It's about time! Pakboats' prices have been creeping up... this sounds like it will rock them a bit. Is the Citibot made in North Carolina??

Not sure where this one in made, but there U.S. factory is in Charleston South Carolina.

Chris

Post subject: Citibot or Aleut
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:00 am 
forum fanatic

krudave wrote:
Looks like a faster, lighter variant of the Aleut...

I totally agree with Dave. IMHO, Aleut was a great mini kayak when it was introduced in the early 90s. Citibot seems to be a fresh approach on the concept of a mini boat like the Aleut. Folbot is moving their design and production the Cooper way. First it was the Cooper, then the Kiawah, and now it is the Citibot. My guess is that the Aleut will be slowly phased out from the product line.

Post subject: Re: Citibot or Aleut
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:41 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

sasha wrote:
krudave wrote:
Looks like a faster, lighter variant of the Aleut...

I totally agree with Dave. IMHO, Aleut was a great mini kayak when it was introduced in the early 90s. Citibot seems to be a fresh approach on the concept of a mini boat like the Aleut. Folbot is moving their design and production the Cooper way. First it was the Cooper, then the Kiawah, and now it is the Citibot. My guess is that the Aleut will be slowly phased out from the product line.

That would be logical. I personally would like to see the next boat be a the replacement for the Kodiak. A good boat in its own right, but a nice well crafted expedition boat along the lines of the Feathercratf K1 that would be a step up from the Cooper perhaps.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:16 am 
Site Admin

The Aleut still carries significantly more load than the Citibot. But it does appear that Folbot is moving its newest boats to this style of construction, which has some advantages over the older style in lightness and ease of assembly. Perhaps we'll see a makeover of the whole line eventually? Your guess is as good as mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:41 am 
Site Admin

Chris wrote: I personally would like to see the next boat be a the replacement for the Kodiak. A good boat in its own right, but a nice well crafted expedition boat along the lines of the Feathercratf K1 that would be a step up from the Cooper perhaps.

Chris, have you used a Kodiak much? Have you paddled a Cooper? I own a Kodiak and a Cooper. They have different functions, and I use them differently. The Cooper is a lightweight, faster "day" boat for a guy of my weight (225 lbs). It is sturdy enough for that use, but a bit lightweight for long haul, multiday excursions in remote places. In contrast, the Kodiak is a tank, and should be, for times when you want a boat that will get you home. Replacing the heavier polycarbonate frames with the lighter, more open aluminum tubular frames improves the Kodiak quite a bit without compromising its structural integrity.

My only gripe about the Kodiak is its "open" cockpit, which is more susceptible to deckwash, and does not seal as well as a more traditional "hardshell-style" coaming such as the ones on most FC models. I think introduction of a better coaming design for the Kodiak would be the ticket.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:33 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Dave wrote:
<<<My only gripe about the Kodiak is its "open" cockpit, which is more susceptible to deckwash, and does not seal as well as a more traditional "hardshell-style" coaming such as the ones on most FC models. I think introduction of a better coaming design for the Kodiak would be the ticket.>>>

Perhaps you are right on Dave. I have only paddled the Kodiak once. I liked it a lot. My gripe is the same and perhaps they need only to make improvements in the cockpit area and keep the name and design. It is considered one of Folbots best boats as well as a great value.

One of the things I admire about Feathercraft as well as Folbot is the seemilgly constant tinkering with there products to make them better.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:54 am 
Site Admin

Folbot has certainly been doing some good incremental improvements. The integrated coaming on the new Citibot is much better than the original design used on the Cooper. Changing from sponsons that were integral with the hull to ones you attach with velcro probably lowered the manufacturing cost (and purchase price) as well as making any future replacement trivially easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:15 am 
Site Admin

Mike,

Have you paddled that thing yet?

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:04 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

mje wrote:
Changing from sponsons that were integral with the hull to ones you attach with velcro probably lowered the manufacturing cost (and purchase price) as well as making any future replacement trivially easy.

It will also make it easier to dry the boat skin before storing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

krudave wrote:
Mike,

Have you paddled that thing yet?

Not yet. Warm weather didn't arrive until yesterday. The water should be warm enough next week for paddling without a dry suit!