Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:21 pm 
Site Admin

Paddle update: Michigan weather is still not cooperating. Thunderstorms every few days, and this morning it dropped to 37 degrees! But we're looking at highs dipping in the low 70s today... and then falling into the upper 50s by Friday. Maybe I can convert it into an iceboat...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:43 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Time to move South brother! :)

Chris

Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:49 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Or to Europe... the weather here has been beautiful.

Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:11 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

chrstjrn wrote:
Or to Europe... the weather here has been beautiful.

With a record spaghetti harvest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyUvNnmFtgI

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Aire Tributary Sawtooth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:04 am 
faltbootemeister

Mike,

I don't understand - kayaking season started the end of March after out ice-out on the Maumee! :D

Cheers,

Barry

Klepper T9 / Heise Skin
Pionier 520-Z / Heise Skin
Pouch E65

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:25 am 
Site Admin

Well, I drove across the Maumee yesterday and the day before, and it was about 62 degrees both times when I did. Now I'm back home with a free day- and it's 56!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:58 pm 
Quote:
the whole pack weighs a few ounces under 35 lbs. The boat itself is advertised as weighing only 24 lbs empty

Just like I said to one hardshell kayaker a week ago (before even reading this thread) - you'll be carrying over 40 lbs on a daytrip, considering skirt, paddle, PFD, snack, dry pants etc (if following the Folbot's suggestion to toss it over a shoulder and hop into a bus or train). The guy didn't know much about folders (his expertise in hardshells is outstanding, though), and couldn't understand how it can be more than 34 lbs if advertised at 24 lbs. Welcome to the club, I would say...

Quote:
seat- it's great. Best Folbot seat yet. Snaps right on to the frame tubes, and has air inflated sear and backrest.

What if it deflates? I had this problem in Longhaul MK1 few days into the trip. It developed an air leak that I couldn't find, and my butt could feel the straps and buckles under the seat. Luckily, it was Thermarest, i.e. had some foam, not just air, and the backrest was all foam and plywood, no air (with small optional inflatable lumbar support which wasn't crucial). In fairness to Longhaul - it was Thermarest brand cushion, not something made by LH. OK, in a day paddling boat the most that can be lost (if you can't fix this) is one paddling day.

Quote:
Looks like a faster, lighter variant of the Aleut

Faster? Yeah, well, if it looks faster than it probably is ;-).... It is much shorter and wider than Aleut, and this is something normally not associated with speed increase. 15 lbs of weight difference, albeit significant for those that really do tossing over a shoulder and hopping into buses (very few people do, at least in North America), is barely noticeable on water, as Ive seen many times and you probably too, Dave. Considering adjusting to such a wide beam, changing the stroke (and likely - paddle length too), any speed gains over somethinng like Aleut (I don't know what in this hull may cause them, but let's assume it will) would be minor, if not negative - though 15 lbs of weight difference should TAD compensate this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:54 am 
Site Admin

I agree with Alex on the inflatable seat. I prefer a solid tush support, but have not tried the Citibot seat. Lady over on the Folbot Forum has posted a nice set of photos of the whole rig for perusal. I'd like to get my hands on one to see what it looks like.

The guy in the video wobbles from side to side quite a bit because his paddle is about 20 cm too long and he does not know how to use high angle strokes. I'd like to see a video of somebody in it with a 220 paddle who can do high angle strokes.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:19 pm 
Site Admin

Still, it's a very comfortable seat- probably the best yet from Folbot. This isn't an expedition boat, and I think it's very much up to the task.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

Finally- a day that was in the mid to upper 60s, and no thunderclouds in sight! I called my biking pal Adventure Girl (as she prefers to be known) and proposed we explore a branch of the ROuge River that passes near a favorite biking destination.

What we thought would be perhaps 45 minutes of exploring turned into between 2-1/2 and 3 hours of exploring the Rouge as it twisted and turned though back yards, parks, and in some cases, land that didn't seem to be accessible at all from outside the river.

Adventure Girl loved the Citibot, and declared that it was absolutely ideal for the sort of exploring we were doing. She's a pretty skilled paddler- keeps a 16' rigid boat up at her cottage, and has borrowed my review Cooper in the past- and found the Citiboat extremely easy to guide around the twists and turns, and shallow channels we found ourselves in.

I'll have photos up soon, along with a detailed review. But for now- great boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:17 pm 
Site Admin

Photos are up in the Photo Album (Photos from Your Editor), short review is in place, and the long review will be published... oh, sometime in the next few days ;-)