Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yukon in Barkley Sound
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:18 am 
Site Admin

Mike Wilhelm of Portland, OR authored a nice piece detailing a several-day trip he and his wife did out of their Folbots in Barkley Sound, transporting their four-year-old behind the paddler in the Yukon. Photo and article here: http://tinyurl.com/693mvn

I think Margie was in the Kodiak.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:23 pm 
That was really nice, introducing and involving children in outdoor exploration and living, especially by the power of the paddle is a marvellous thing to do.

I actually bought a bigger boat to take my friends children (whom I used to babysit and childmind) Packrafting after the 11 year old asked if she could come with me in my boat.

I located and bought the as new, unused Alpacka Dory within 20 hours of being asked, which made for a particularly happy child, whom gets to name the boat!

Over the years I'd given the Imps (my affectionate collective name for them) Maglites, SAK Mini Champs, Leatherman type multi-tools and LED micro-lanterns for their outdoor adventures and showed them the benefits of water filters, hatchet, folding saw, candle lanterns etc....

The Imps are eagerly waiting for me to bring my Outback Oven for a 'test' with them as the taste testers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:13 am 
Quote:
Over the years I'd given the Imps (my affectionate collective name for them) Maglites, SAK Mini Champs, Leatherman type multi-tools and LED micro-lanterns for their outdoor adventures and showed them the benefits of water filters, hatchet, folding saw, candle lanterns etc....

I agree, my eldest son was 6 (now 10) when I bought him his 1st pen knife, a razor sharp Opinel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinel made in France, these are my all time favourite folding knives. Mom was very sceptical but I spent a lot of time teaching him how to hold it, cut away from the body and when and where it's OK to take it out (ie: not when friends are about.) The odd cut or two was part of the learning curve (fortunately no major amputations!) He knows how to carry an axe, start a fire with a swedish fire steel, pitch a tent and so on. I even take him out into the desert on occasion and get him to drive the LandCruiser (offroad!) He has learnt the value of looking after kit and has his own knife, maglite, tent, sleeping bag, snorkel gear and, now, a citibot (see my review on the mainpage) amongst other things. It's all gone to raising a self confident and competent kid. I'm about to start off his 1.5 year old brother (cool! I get to buy the latest cool camping gear all over again!) Nothing teaches you self reliance like being outdoors. Nothing teaches you to be careful more than doing something risky.

I learned more about lifeskills during my all too brief years as a boy scout then anywhere else.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:40 am 
Site Admin

Desert Paddler, I believe you have paddled in Barkley Sound, have you not?

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:34 am 
krudave wrote:
Desert Paddler, I believe you have paddled in Barkley Sound, have you not?

Hi Dave

No sorry, not me. I've only paddled here off the Arabian peninsula (Gulf and Indian Ocean) and back home in South Africa. Would love to do some US/Canada based paddling, sounds awesome.

A couple of years back I planned to fly to BC and do one of those 'paddle with Orcas' trips for my 40th (ouch) birthday. It got put on hold a month later when my wife announced I'd be a Dad again. Oh well, some time later.

Why do you ask?