Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:28 am 
Hi folks, I have just acquired what Wanda at Folbot told me was a 'Sporty'. One of the boats of the original company. Wood frame members, alum tubing, vinyl hull, 15'. Made from the 50's into the 80's. based on that it must have been a relatively good boat. This is my first kayak. I've had a few sailboats and a powerboat.
Considering its age, it seems to be in pretty good shape, but its been put together now for years and stored in a hot shed. Some of the wood frame pieces are a little warped, little mold, need sanded and varnished, corrosion on brass and Alum parts, etc. It was missing the flotation bags, I ordered 2 new ones from Wanda. It came with an old Klepper wood paddle, which one of is delaminating and I'll repair with epoxy until I learn what kind of paddle would be better.
Folbot offers no support for this era boats other than sending me assembly and disassembly instructions and being able to use the new style floatation bags. It was disappointing to find that no parts are available any more. But I dont know that other companies support their vintage boats either.
My main question is since their new hulls and repair items are not compatible with this material is what can I use to patch it ? Are any current mfgs using a compatible vinyl material ? any suggestions, especially if there are any original Folbot owners here would be appreciated. Any other comments or questions would also be appreciated. Would like to find someone else that has one of these if you're out there., and hear of your experiences and opinions.
thanks in advance :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:32 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Put the question on the Folbot Forum, lots of people there have the same as you and have restored them into like new or better condition. klepper still support their Aerius 2 boats with parts and new skins. (now an over 40 years old design.) klepper,s other boats i don,t know about.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:07 pm 
Yes, John is right about the Folbot forum. Pete, a regular poster and visitor there has a Sporty.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:17 pm 
Thanks guys, I went and you're both right., and I've already gotten the answers I wanted.

I just jumped into the wrong forum in my enthusiasm.. ! 8)

But this looks like a great place to learn about the new boats, so I'll be back. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:17 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Yes this is a great forum for help and advice and it,s not slated to one make, someone a short while ago asked on the Folbot forum, i am thinking of buying a klepper or a Folbot, a bit like going in a Toyoto dealer and saying i am thinking of a Toyoto or Chrysler, guess what. I know what i would buy, then i have both makes, Klepper and Folbot.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:36 pm 
I'd love to have a Klepper, now if I can just find one for the $100 bux I paid for the Folbot !!

heck, if it floats, I like it. truth is, I want one of each.

and ironically, I just bought a used Chevy pickup on monday, and today learned the once biggest company in the world, General Motors shut down their dealers today.. No telling where this mess is heading .... is the USA going to survive ? with all of our biggest companies biting the bullet, its a bit un nerving to say the least.

sorry.. i drifted off topic a bit, well anyway, I like my old cheap Folbot, and plan to paddle it till it sinks., and might even ressurect it if it does, and Keep On Paddling !! hear hear !!! :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:16 am 
Quote:
No telling where this mess is heading

Look far, far East... This is where most generic autoparts are already coming from (probably, many brand parts too). My ancient Made in Japan fax machine and vacuum cleaner are poised to outlive me, but this isn't the far East that I meant, of course.

As to the boat - flotation bags aren't something mandatory, though it's better to have them.