Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:22 pm 
I was just wondering how to tell if the greenland 2 has the newer ribs or not. A boat I am looking at in EXTREMELY good condition looks like this:

I'm wondering if those are the older plastic ribs or just anodized aluminum?? Anyone know?

How bad are the older ribs anyway?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

The ribs are the black plastic things. The blue anodized aluminum tubes are the stringers or longerons.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:39 pm 
Thanks for the clarification. So looking at some of the greenland 2 pictures I have seen the stringers were a raw aluminum color(maybe they were the plastic ones?), so I was worried the blueish ones were the plastic one that were recently replaced. So how can you tell if they are the older plastic ones? Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

Nicholai wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. So looking at some of the greenland 2 pictures I have seen the stringers were a raw aluminum color(maybe they were the plastic ones?), so I was worried the blueish ones were the plastic one that were recently replaced. So how can you tell if they are the older plastic ones? Thanks
Nicholai:

Longerons = blue or aluminum in color. Never been plastic.

Ribs/frames = black or blue in color. Black is plastic. Blue is aluminum. The Plastic ribs are fine. We used a boat with the plastic ribs for years, paddled it hard. The advantages of the aluminum are: lighter overall weight and easier storage.

Washboards = black or aluminum in color. Black is plastic. aluminum is aluminum. Plastic washboards are worth replacing with the aluminum ones. Washboards are the cockpit rims. Not shown in the photo above; however, the seatbacks are old enough for that boat I suspect the washboards would be plastic. I think the aluminum washboards were first made in 2000. I owned one of the first sets.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:33 pm 
OK thanks so much for clearing that up for me! It looks like the new washboards are $110 so I assume they are totally worth it considering the comments I've read on how much firmer they make the boat. Anything else worth upgrading?

http://www.folbot.com/mm5/merchant.mvc? ... Code=PARTS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:30 pm 
Site Admin

Newer seats, better paddles if the original Folbot paddles are included, rudder if missing or not included. Aluminum washboards definitely worth it. Also, get the keel strips. They will save the hull.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:03 am 
It does come with a rudder system, what paddles do you recommend? Also do you recommend the folbot keel strips of just make your own? Thanks again for all the help!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:43 am 
Site Admin

Paddles are very individual. You might check out the Werner Camano at 230-235 cm up front and 250 in back. The latter is special order; I think 240 may be the langest length standard. If you are new to the game, use anything until you have a better idea of what you want. Paddles are expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:45 am 
Nicholai wrote:
Also do you recommend the folbot keel strips of just make your own?

Relax. Folbot self-adhesive tape costs $50. If you buy Hypalon material, cut 1.5" strips and glue it to the hull, it will be neither easier nor cheaper. The only excuse to do it yourself would be making MUCH wider strips - like those on Klepper Expedition or Longhaul. This would cost you a bit more than $50.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

Alex nailed it.

One advantage of the Folbot kit is that the strips can be peeled off when worn, and new versions can be applied. If you use two-part adhesive to apply your own strips, you will never get them off.

The fifty bucks for the Folbot strips is a bargain, all told.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:06 pm 
Site Admin

Adding to what Dave said, the new aluminum coamings stiffen the boat noticeably. The aluminum ribs also do add some stiffness, but not as much.