Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:38 am 
Hello folks,

Can someone please tell me how I can determine if my Folbot Super is a TSF or TSK model without trying to disassemble it first?

I have uploaded many photos taken of my Super along with some of the optional accessories (such as the sail kit), as well as excerpts from
(1) 4th Edition 308 page book “Fabulous Folbot Holidays” hand signed in blue pen ink by J. Kissner on the title page, and (2) 48 page 1972 copyright color brochure “Folbot Sport and Holidays are Tops”. The link to the on-line photo album “Folbot Super 4 Sale is: http://tinypic.com/a/1ajkn/2

If you have a problem with that link, here is another you can try: http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=qI5r3yVVUdR9R4%2FtYPGa0Q%3D%3D

I will also include two pictures at the bottom with this posting here that can be zoomed in for a closer look at any details, as can any of the images on Tinypic.com

For the past three years, I have owned and enjoyed paddling in a 197X Folbot Super, which I am in the process of selling here in S. FL (Ft. Lauderdale area). I’m just not willing to take the chance in trying to lift it onto the top of my SUV as well as taking it down single handed beyond my one and only attempt to do so that was very difficult. For those of you that own, owned, or know someone with a Super personally, you know how difficult this task is because of the Super’s overall size and weight, size being the major factor in W X H X L. I do not want to take the risk of damaging it by lifting it alone. It has lasted approximately 35 years in pretty good condition and I desire it to continue its life on the water for many more decades for the next owner(s).

This is a GREAT kayak and am sad to have to depart with it. I have enjoyed many fine memories paddling with friends. My next kayak will not be a tandem so I can take advantage of more opportunities to go paddling without having to borrow or rent a single kayak or hunt down a paddling partner who can also meet me where I keep it stored and after we are done, accompany me back to the storage unit.

When I acquired my Super from the Widow of the original owner whose husband assembled it sometime in the early 70’s, the only possible indication that it might be a TSF is from an original Folbot document she gave me with some other items. This one document was titled “Instructions for Erecting Folbot ‘Super’ TSF”. I have studied the document and because I have never seen a TSK in person or good photograph, I don’t know how to tell them apart and want to be honest in labeling it correctly in my 4-Sale Ads, especially for someone that wants a TSF model for easy storing and transporting.

Thank you in advance for your assistance,

BTW, when previewing my post, I noticed that the pictures were HUGE, beign my first post, I am unable so far to do so much smaller without requiring the viewers to scroll. Sorry for any inconvenience. Both images are small in size.

Attachment:
Folbot Cockpit.jpg

Attachment:
Folbot Cockpit.jpg

Phil
Paddler4x

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:06 am 
The second photo I posted is very similar to the first and is not what I intended to upload. Compared to other msg boards, I don't see how to edit any of my posted messages once submitted like I can on others.

I am attaching the photo I originally intended to include, hopefully it will be attached without having to include it inline, I had to reduce the size significantly to be accepted.

If the Photo does not get attached, here is the link to the on-line copy:

http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=ru02A%2F45RKB0ew0cydymX4h4l5k2TGxc

Phil
Paddler4x

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:32 pm 
Great looking boat.

It is a rigid, non-folding Folbot as evidenced by the wooden longerons - the folders had aluminum longerons and wooden ribs, stems, and keelsons.

Have you advertised it over at www.folbotforum.com?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:35 pm 
Thank you for sharing with me your knowledge of Folbot Super kayaks, now I know for sure that mine is a TSK or non-folding type. I had always assumed it was till someone I recently met while paddling, led me to have doubts that prompted this and similar post on another kayak forum website, Folbot.com.

My Super TSK, which I obtained from the previous and original owner’s Widow, shared with me stories of when it was being built in the early 70’s during a 6-month period in the family garage and the many adventures paddled in it. I have been fortunate over the last 3-years to have created and shared many of my own wonderful memories paddling in it and receiving the envy of boaters of all types who I have come into contact with it. I wished that I had performed the few minor repairs and purchased the handful of parts to have enjoyed sailing in her as others on this board have enjoyed in their own kayaks.

Now it is time for the next future owner of this Super TSK to create their own memories in it, hopefully being able to also restore it for sailing.

Currently I have this kayak available for sale on the S. Florida (Miami, Broward, and Palm Beach Counties) Craigslist site that I have continued to modify. The direct URL is http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa/1350258073.html. The selling price of $650 is less then what I paid three years ago, and there is also an optional bonus accessory package I have put together for only $150, this includes among other things two 8-foot paddles that cost me $120. Besides the cost of the kayak and all the accessories, so far I’ve paid out $1,050 or $350/yr for storage in a shared unit with other kayakers who also don’t have a place to store their own kayak. Obviously I am loosing money on this, I’m selling it at a far price in hopes that it won’t be flipped but instead enjoyed for years to come by the next owner out paddling. If me being in S. FL is an issue, sometime around Sept 22 I’ll be driving up north towards the DC area, so delivery options can possibly be worked out

At the bottom of my Craigslist post, I included links to two photo albums, one that has pics of my Folbot Super TSK and most of the accessories, and the other contains scanned images I created in the last day or so from various Folbot written sources I am offering in the optional accessory pack. Some of the pics or images you may want to download and /or share with others while they are still available. These links are: http://tinypic.com/2mpk9agm (oops only allowed 2 links in this msg, so just check out the other album when there) If for whatever reason they become unavailable or you would like a higher res image, please let me know.

Thanks again everyone for quickly answering my question in this message board, learning through sharing.