Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:29 pm 
Hello,
My name is David Omick and this is my first post on this forum. I just posted the following message on the Introduction part of this forum and thought it might be of interest here too.

My partner Pearl Mast and I have owned a Folbot Greenland II for the past 3 years. This summer, we spent 2 months paddling it from Vancouver Island to Alaska. It was a wonderful adventure and we just posted a detailed report with photos online. Here's the link:

http://omick.net/adventure/kayak%20trip ... 202009.htm

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
David

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:05 am 
Site Admin

Heck of a trip, you two! From your narrative, I can tell you had an older boat. Those rivets were a bad batch Folbot got hold of that year. A few folks changed them out. Also, I think you had the old washboards (plastic?).

A real tribute to your canny judgement and skill to complete that venture is such fine style!

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:03 am 
faltbootemeister

That is my dream trip too. I finally was able to travel those waters on the MV Columbia for the first time earlier this month with my family. Thanks for such a great site documenting your trip.

I'm considering taking my kayak(s) on the Columbia from Bellingham to Ketchikan, Wrangell, and/or even Haines. Camping on the deck saves funds as the folded kayak is just considered luggage - so you save some more funds there over our hardshell brothers.

Although it is a testament for what one can do with the Greenland II, perhaps this should be moved to the "Trips" section of this forum so more folks see the article?

Cheers,

Barry

Klepper T9 / Heise Skin
Pionier 520-Z / Heise Skin
Pouch E65

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:34 am 
Barry,
Good to hear you were able to visit the wild coast, and I agree--camping on deck is the best way to go on the Alaska ferry.

I'd prefer to keep this thread in the Folbot section, but would be happy to post a link to our report in the "Trip" section if it's OK with the moderator. I know that some forums prefer a given subject to be in just one section. Maybe Dave will see this and comment.

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:30 am 
This belongs to "Trips Reporting", IMO. It's not just about Folbot or GII, - there is a lot of info on equipment, clothes, route etc.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:53 am 
Site Admin

davidomick wrote:
I'd prefer to keep this thread in the Folbot section, but would be happy to post a link to our report in the "Trip" section if it's OK with the moderator.
David, we are not very fussy here, although it is best to avoid multiple listings so all the repartee is in one place. A short note referring to this thread in the trips section would be a good way to go. Make a link if you like, but this is not hard to find in any event.

Thanks so much for doing such a great job chronicling your venture. If you get up to Astoria, let's get that G II wet, out Aldrich Point way!

Back in my hole ...

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

What Dave said. When I see multiple postings, I will remove all but one... which may not be the one you would have chosen! ;-)