Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: load limit on Kiawah
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:41 pm 
I have an opportunity to buy a second hand Kiawah. I weigh 90kg / 200lbs and the load limit is listed as 200lbs. I only wish to day paddle in salt marshes and coastal paddle in flat conditions with no extra gear. The light weight will be a major benefit for me carrying it down the cliff steps to the beach, backpacking on the bus etc, so if Folbot users can advise on how close the max weight Folbot specs are, I would be very grateful.

Brian

Post subject: Re: load limit on Kiawah
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:15 pm 
Brian, I post here a lot, but for Folbot issues the best place to go is Folbot Forum at http://www.folbotforum.com/. More owners, more and faster answers. Just keep in mind that some people are incompetent even if they have hands-on experience (happens sometimes), so screen the incoming info accordingly.

Carrying anything larger than your Alpaca will be a pain, though short distances are manageable. The smallest and lightest Folbot - Citibot - is still some pain according to people who carry it a lot, partly due to imperfect bag, and partly due to long frame members: http://www.folbotforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3054&p=21664#p21664. Offtopic here, but when I recently read statements about easy handling on dry land much heavier and longer bag with Trak kayak, I couldn't help smiling. Carrying the bag with my FC Kahuna for more than 50 meters (according to specs, 4 lbs heavier than Kiawah) is not fun, I can tell you this. With Kiawah you'll probably add about 3 lbs of hull protection strips, so it will be same pain as Kahuna.

Though, these boats at less than 40 lbs stripped weight are still manageable to carry assembled over obstacles and rough terrain where you can't use a cart - when it's completely stripped, without bag, seat, skirt, rudder, floatation bags etc.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:58 pm 
Site Admin

khp,

[Edited 5/18 to correct major error.]

I run 225, and my [Kiawah] sic is by no means overloaded with my self in it. Folbot consistently under-rates the capacity of their boats. Aaagh! Major error: I don't own a Kiawah: it is an Edisto I was thinking of. The Kiawah is smaller.

I do, however think the Kiawah can safely carry 300 lbs.

Go for it.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:38 am 
Thanks Alex and Dave for your replies. Great to hear that 255 lbs is ok in practice from you Dave as an actual paddler of the boat. Will let you know how I get on.

Brian

PS I found it impossible to register for the Folbot forum. I just cannot make out the security codes that are so difficult to read I cannot enter them correctly.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:17 am 
Security codes - don't remember this to be a problem. There is normal registration procedure, you get email confirmation in a day or two and then you're free to post.

Quote:
Great to hear that 255 lbs is ok in practice from you Dave as an actual paddler of the boat.

I think he said 225 lbs in practice, with maximum projected 300. Every boat has certain optimal waterline, to which it should be immersed for most efficient paddling. For Kiawah this optimal waterline is surely under 200 lbs. After loaded to optimal load, the deeper it sits, the more difficult it is to paddle. Kahuna and Cooper, both larger than Kiawah, can be loaded to 310-330 lbs max. Optimal I figure is about 140-160 lbs for Kahuna, probably same or slightly less for Cooper (for some reason it has less freeboard under same load). They won't sink in calm weather when loaded few lbs more than 310-330, but nobody wants to push his luck. With Kiawah dimensions I would expect it to have max safe load somewhere 270-290 lbs, and comfortable range (when it's relatively easy to paddle) from 140 to 220 or 240 lbs. At 255 you'll be well at the limit of enjoyable use.

Last edited by Alm on Tue May 18, 2010 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:09 am 
Site Admin

Alex's caveat about optimal performance is one to heed. When you haul around as much personal baggage as I do, I suppose optimal performance of any sort in any arena is a long-gone relic of a younger age! :roll: :lol:

Brian, those security codes with the twisted and altered lettering are really nasty. I bitched hard about them to the Folbot webmaster, but got nowhere. BTW, any degree of red/green color blindness will make it even tougher. You might see if your spouse can make out the letters. Or, email this guy for help: John Haide <folboting@verizon.net> He can probably get you registered outside the usual barriers.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:06 am 
Hi, the 255 was a mis-type, i meant 225.

I have e-mailed the contact if having problems. Why make it so hard to register? I lost the surface of both eyes some years back in an accident, so perhaps that's not helping! Bye the way, the surface grows back within 24 hours, but some of the control muscles never quite recovered.

Agree about the load limits, but no one seems to worry about handling a half loaded kayak which cause lots of problems in it's self.

Will there be enough room for my feet. Only size 8 and I'm 5'10" tall?

Thanks for help so far, much appreciated.

Brian

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:45 pm 
Site Admin

[Edited 5/18/10 to correct error]

Brian, we are the same height and my feet are a size larger. No problem. Error: I was thinking of the Edisto when I wrote this. Not sure about the Kiawah, but I suspect you'll be OK. Ask Wanda at Folbot.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:18 am 
Oh, it won't be half loaded in your case. It will be more like 70%-80% of maximum load. Cooper is realistically 290-310 lbs boat (rated officially at 250), so Kiawah should be 280, 270 or less. Dave probably has very little freeboard with his 225 body; and quite a rocker underneath when he sits in ;) . You'll be slightly better.

Under-loaded boat may cause a problem indeed - a different kind of, but it happens in much larger boats, not Kiawah. Why people don't seem to worry about it - I don't know... Probably because those are relaxed short trips, with lightweight wife or a child fooling around the camp in calm weather in MK1 or GII solo, with all the gear unloaded ashore. Then handling and efficiency don't matter.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:33 am 
There is an interesting article about a lightweight folding kayak called Alice, 12' x 24", on Duckworks. It includes the hull lines, and interestingly the stability curves for the same hull with a 150 lb paddler and a 250 lb paddler. Not the same kayak as we are discussing, but good general information.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/09/des ... /index.htm

Brian

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:52 am 
Site Admin

Brian, I edited my previous posts on the Kiawah. I was thinking "Edisto" throughout that whole discussion. My error.

I think the Kiawah will be an even better choice for you than the Edisto, however, and you will be OK on the load limits.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:23 pm 
Can't make much of those curves - may be reading the article will help. Not likely will buy any of them, though - no need.

Edisto is a different breed, it's basically a modified Aleut - flat-bottom little barge that can take anybody and anything. Way larger boat than Kiawah. With 200 lbs load Kiawah will have very little freeboard, but for day trip in calm weather I would prefer this to wider and slower boats, agreed.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

I like the Edisto for dink-around paddling, but it is for sure not a long-haul go-fast boat. I got it intending it as a tender for the power boat, but the hassle of assembling a folder on the engine box put me off that and I built a nesting dinghy instead. Anybody interested in a project like that might want to look at some of the photos, here: http://www.pbase.com/bartenderdave/image/123017771

(this entry is towards the end of the building sequence, to lead directly into using the thing; go back a few to see it nested. Turned out pretty good, but it was a hell of a lot of work.)

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:30 pm 
I own a Kiawah and enjoy it a lot. I can't speak much to weight allowances because I'm 150ish and haven't had more than a small day pack in the boat with me. I did have a nephew try to tip me from in the water unsuccessfully by pushing it and climbing up on the bow and he didn't have any effect, but that's also not pushing the boat along from a lower float point.

Overall if the used boat is a good price, it's probably worth getting since we all seem to believe it'll hold your weight with perhaps some small performance impacts.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:11 am 
Well, things did not work out for the Kiawah buy. It was an eBay auction and the bidding never found the reserve. I found myself in the last few seconds uncertain of what to bid and if I should bid after some reservations about load carrying. Tried contacting the seller afterwards to see what his reserve was just in case we could do deal but no reply.

Thanks again for the help.

Brian