Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Metroboat
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

The Metroboat is not for me, but I live 3000 miles away from NYC. As to its marketability, who knows? Wait and see -- might be they will tap into a niche market in NYC.

I don't see it as evil or some form of insidious marketing. It's a gimmick. and, it costs them little to play with it. Pretty harmless, I think.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:28 am 
forum fanatic

I can't imagine there be any niche market for such a thing – especially in NYC. It may be possible for the City or the MTA to use it for some sort of promotion, but I really doubt any serious kayaker in the city would buy something like it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:51 pm 
krudave wrote:
The Metroboat is not for me ...

This is what confuses me - Everyone here has universally said not only "Not for me" , but also between the lines "not for anyone else that I know either". The folks at Folbot aren't stupid, they either know something about the cult status of the New York subway that we don't - or this design is not really marketed at individual consumers, and there is another story that we aren't being told.

Apart from visibility concerns - the deck colour/design is purely cosmetic, but it's not just a gimmick - people get very passionate about their colour choice. I'm no marketing guru, but if launching a line of boats with limited edition prints on decks is their new game then there must be 10,000 designs that will target a larger market than New York subway fans:

want a faster boat? get the "flamebot"
want something more serene? how about the "wavebot"
want to show your patriotism? then the "flagbot" is for you (specify flag)
or if you really want to target local markets ... the "chartbot" is at least more practical than the subway.
the possibilities are endless - it only took a few seconds with photoshop to explore these...
Attachment:
bots.jpg

I think this does have a future, but the question remains as to why they have chosen to launch this product with a design that has received such mockery here. Even the Folbot forum, where new products are usually greeted with great enthusiasm, is strangely silent about the metroboat. Maybe they just wanted to start like this so that all their future prints would look good by comparison.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:59 pm 
faltbootemeister

They certainly could market them to resorts around the world.

For instance, The Bahamas, well any destination having the appropriate environment ( navigable waterways ).

Folbot could easily produce a non-folding version for such a place as well and double their market penetration. Those boats could be that Hotel's corporate fleet imprinted with the corporate logo along with one of their attractive background designs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:21 pm 
:idea: Custom hunting Kayaks...?

Attachment:
hunting-kayaks.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:45 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Nice hunting motifs. Now...I gotta ask...what would you hunt in a Metro? Anyone? I'm thinking maybe you could launch these kayaks in a pool and hunt folding deck chairs?

1988 A1 Expedition
2010 carbon Klepper Quattro
BSD sail rig, 24' mizzen + 36' main
39' jib
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:47 pm 
It's not that the logo-print thing is not for me, I will gladly accept a promotional boat as a gift and use it frequently. On the other hand, I wouldn't buy one. Custom printing with some design of my own? If that were really important to me, sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:35 pm 
Quote:
Folbot could easily produce a non-folding version for such a place as well and double their market penetration. Those boats could be that Hotel's corporate fleet imprinted with the corporate logo along with one of their attractive background designs.

This would've been re-inventing a wheel. Those hotels and rental shops that considered it necessary, already put their logo or (very seldom) some sponsor's logo on plastic boats and canoes. Usually without any background, which makes sense to me, because background images make reading a logo more difficult. I'm not a marketing guru (and don't believe there is a lot of science behind marketing activity anyway), but I think this doesn't necessarily promotes the maker of plastic boat. More likely it promotes the owner of the logo (which is normally a hotel or rental shop). People that become interested in paddling after this, inquire about a particular brand or kayaking in general, later. In course of this inquiry they often discover that the kayak from hotel or rental shop was not the best, not to mention mile-long heavy paddles and primitive life jackets...

Well, it's their money, and if they decided to spend it on making waves and can afford it or it's been fully paid by sponsors - let them do it. Making waves of any kind usually helps to boost sales if you have anything worth selling, - doesn't have to be a very good product, just worth something for some buyers.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:31 pm 
gbellware wrote: "Nice hunting motifs. Now...I gotta ask...what would you hunt in a Metro?"

Be vewy, vewy quiet...I think I hear a Wabbit! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:27 am 
forum fanatic

Apparently, it's going to be featured in New York's City of Water Day Festival:
http://www.metro.us/us/article/2010/07/ ... /index.xml

"A $1,295 kayak emblazoned with the subway map will debut at City of Water Day. Local paddler, journalist and environmentalist Erik Baard dreamed up the New York Metroboat, connecting folding kayak manufacturer Folbot with the MTA to make it happen.

Baard wanted to merge the city’s best attributes: water and mass transit."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:16 am 
OK, it starts to make sense. Looks this will generate a LOT of publicity for Folbot, so good for them.

I don't think I'd want any sort of design on my kayak - even the best would get tiresome after a while. A friend of mine got a really high-spec custom carbon-kevlar hardshell, and got them to print this swirly sprarkly pattern on it. He liked it, no one else did. Made it really hard to sell when he wanted to move on.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:52 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Well I think Folbot missed the boat... The Metrosexual fad is passe these days

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Aire Tributary Sawtooth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

Well, if anybody knows about fads like that, it would be the Tsunami kid! :lol: I am so far past my days as a surfer kid in Southern California I don't even Tweet! :mrgreen:

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.