Cooper Maiden Voyage

Moderators: mje, krudave

paddlesheep
faltbootemeister

Cooper Maiden Voyage

Post by paddlesheep »

Hi all, here's a link to my report on my first trip in the Cooper. I've had it since Xmas but only got it on the water last weekend. So far it's a great kayak, I'm confident it will handle the kind of overnight/weekend trips I plan to use it for.

http://paddlesheep.blogspot.ca/2013/04/ ... oyage.html

Only problem is the Elvaloy hull. Already put a hole in it (assembling it on my front sidewalk!) and it seems it doesn't take well to patching! I'm going to try using Tear Aid type 2 as Folbot suggested, but colour me unimpressed so far with the supposedly superior material. I'm wishing I'd gone with the hypalon. We'll see how it goes. On the plus side Gorilla Tape did the trick for a field repair. Didn't get a drop of water in the boat all weekend.

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Re: Cooper Maiden Voyage

Post by john allsop »

Nice report and photos. As you have been in contact with Folbot about the hull material they should have done something, at least provide patching material and tell you what adhesive will work as i don,t expect they can send adhesive across the border. Have you put your report of your trip and the problem with the material that the hull is made from on the Folbot forum? as i am sure the members would be interested.

paddlesheep
faltbootemeister

Post by paddlesheep »

Thanks John, I did post a link on the Folbot forum as well.

Folbot told me they use a 3 part epoxy that costs $100 a pint. They offered to have me ship the boat back for repair but I'm going to see what I can do with Tear Aid (which they also suggested) and Aqua Seal. They do provide some Elvaloy patches in the repair kit, as well as a small tube of Aqua Seal so maybe that will work. I may sacrifice a patch and experiment with different adhesives.

Jake
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by Jake »

I'm not sure what Elvaloy is or why Folbot switched from hypalon. Cost? Weight? Anyway, Folbot has an excellent reputation for customer service and I'm sure they will make things right.

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

Folbot have a good warrenty, probably the best, and they want their customers to be "happy" with their products. If they will pay shipping i would send the skin to them, they will be able to make a good repair and you don,t have to try and find adhesivies. This is a bad publicity for this material they are using, although i think it has been used by the roofing industry for years. I would have liked to have done puncture tests on it. This just shouldn,t have happened. Send the skin back they should back up their warranty, i would, and i am sure Folbot users will back you, they are very loyal to Folbot but they expect something in return.

Jake
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by Jake »

Paddle sheep, I totally agree with John. I recall that Folbot talked up Elvaloy as a better material than hypalon. They should be willing to pay the shipping on your skin, both ways, and perform a professional repair.

paddlesheep
faltbootemeister

Post by paddlesheep »

Unfortunately Folbot is only offering to have me ship (and pay for it) the skin back and charge me for the repair. Maybe they'll change their mind as more failure reports on the Elvaloy come in but for now I'm going to see what I can do to repair it myself. Maybe HH-66 would work? I've got more than enough of that stuff :)

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

So Folbots LIFETIME WARRANTY has now been thrown out of the "window". They will soon lose their loyal support base. The new owners are not to be congratulated, this action will surely cost them more than the the cost of repairing your boat. If this is the way they intend to treat new customers they soon they might dwindle. Perhaps they will put in the assembly instructions "only to be assembled on a carpet, and if the hull is damaged when you put the frame in it,s your fault"
Last edited by john allsop on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paddlesheep
faltbootemeister

Post by paddlesheep »

Some good news! Folbot left me a phone message today saying they are going to send me out a new Elvaloy patch they've been working on with the manufacturer, should be here within a week. So all is not lost yet :) I missed their call but will follow up with them tomorrow. Happy to see they're not just ignoring it and are taking some steps to resolve the issue. Will follow up and let you all know what happens.

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

That,s good news, so good to hear that Folbot are going to help, this should make things better for the company, i know from reports that they always stood behind their products. I have a Yukon and that has never been a problem but it,s hyperlon.

kenton

Post by kenton »

john allsop wrote:That,s good news, so good to hear that Folbot are going to help, this should make things better for the company, i know from reports that they always stood behind their products. I have a Yukon and that has never been a problem but it,s hyperlon.
But it seems to me that Paddlesheep should have been able to pack the now compromised Hullskin up at Folbot's expense and return it for a cost-free complete replacement.

Folbot could then learn from their customer's experience - having the goods in-hand to examine fully - and repair that original to serviceable condition following their preferred method with the aim to offer it for sale at a reduced rate for someone who has a Coop with some miles on it who might want to give the new formula a try.

Just sayin' that'd be good Customer Service on both ends: It helps Paddlesheep individually, it bolsters their already good reputation generally and they "recoup" some of the cost ( no pun intended ).

BlackCooper

Post by BlackCooper »

I agree with Kenton
I have a Hypalon Hull with a factory installed keel strip and am very glad I skipped this new material
it always looked to me like reinforced PVC
I think you would be really hard pressed to do this much damage on Hypalon
I paddled my boat over some pretty nasty rocks with just a few scuffs left on keel strip
I am surprised to hear how durable the Gorilla tape is it seems like the best repair yet... :-)
kindly give us the final outcome of this saga as I'm still contemplating whether to get a second Folbot for my son
Cheers
BlackCooper

Return to “Folbots”