fixing the old Super

Moderators: mje, krudave

treewater
faltbootemeister

fixing the old Super

Post by treewater »

Just spent a week in Florida on the coast. Took the Super Folbot. Pretty hard to beat those old boats for their cargo capacity. That was the first salt water extended trip I've taken. Found a few issues.
The paddle started de-laminating even while I had varnished it before I left.
The thread in the skin had deteriorated even while the skin was pristine. I have seams coming apart.
I was alone and need to make a spray skirt for one person even while I did't ship a lot of water. If I go into surf I'll need it.

The issue with de-laminating caused me to come home and varnish all the ribs and floor boards, etc. The edges soaked up a lot of paint but if it saves them from de-laminating it is worth it.
The hull skin is another matter. I dragged an old skin from a relic Super into the front room and found it to be in good shape. I may just use that. One the other hand, I started repairing ribs and now I'm taking parts from old Supers and trying to built a second from parts of two others.
I know how awkward these Supers are to assemble but I like wood boats and these things are basically covered canoes. Tried to get on the Folbot users forum but can't log in. They seem to have issues there. Anyway, need to make a #4 rib unless someone has an extra.

Regards to all.
Tim in Tennessee

chrstjrn
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Re: fixing the old Super

Post by chrstjrn »

As I think you know, you are welcome here as well as at the Folbot Forum. How did you get all the old Folbots and hulls? Yes: the wood-boat aspect of the old folders is quite addictive. They are beautiful creations.
Chris T.
~'91 Klepper A2 w/ BSD schooner rig.
'64 Klepper Passat/Tradewind and T12 restoration projects.
Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

Just a thought, you might want to take some gorilla tape with you, even with a sound hull. Pretty amazing stuff.

So where were you in Florida?

g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

1988 A1 Expedition
2010 carbon Klepper Quattro
BSD sail rig, 24' mizzen + 36' main
39' jib
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

treewater
faltbootemeister

Post by treewater »

I was in the panhandle region east of Panama city. Went to a "primitive" campsite on St. George Island. I paddled out just myself, 9x12 canvas tent, wood stove, table,chair, cot food and clothes. Had to cut firewood outside the park and paddle it in.
I'm basically a canoe person; wood and canvas on the Ontario lakes. But the Ontario lakes are not suitable for canoes right now and I need a wintertime get away. The cargo carrying Folbot Super does the same work but is covered. I do carry gorilla tape and in the canoes, glue.
Yes, love those wood boats but where the old canoes are solid wood, the Folbot is plywood; expensive plywood at that. The edge grain sure soaks up water. Then the de-lamination sets in. Thus, the answer is paint, paint and paint until it will not soak up anything.
Found those scrap Folbots in my various travels. They were pretty rough. People were going to burn them. I needed the brass hardware.

I called the SGI site "primitive" with quotations because it had picnic table, benches, and fire pit. Not to mention that is was cleared. That is not really primitive. I was alone though I could see and hear cars across the water. Sunsets are really great!

chrstjrn

Post by chrstjrn »

You're not joking about Ontario water! I'm planning to go skating on the longest skating rink in the world, today-- Ottawa's canal!
Chris T.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

treewater
faltbootemeister

Post by treewater »

Yes, and if I can figure out how to post pictures you'll understand the load. The wood stove in the tent idea came about as I extended the Ontario trips into October and May.
Canoes are adequate for northern lakes. The kayak is needed for the ocean.

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

Not sure if a wood stove in a tent would pass an OSHA inspection, but pics would be good :-)

g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

1988 A1 Expedition
2010 carbon Klepper Quattro
BSD sail rig, 24' mizzen + 36' main
39' jib
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

treewater
faltbootemeister

Post by treewater »

What's the secret to posting pictures. A separate web host?

treewater
faltbootemeister

Re: fixing the old Super, parts needed

Post by treewater »

I am in one of those fix up sessions, or obsessions as it is. I've rebuilt my extra Super from parts. I need two things: I'm missing the #4 rib. That is the one with the forward seat. I am also missing the wash board clasp. That is the aluminum casting that holding the forward edge of the washboard to the second rib. I have the #2 rib and the casting with teardrop shaped screw but no casting. I can buy or trade if someone has an extra. I have extra odd ribs and washboards etc.
I've also got the tent with the stove pipe jack in for a zipper repair. When everything comes together I'm off again with a new old boat. What fun.
OSHA for tent stoves? Where were they when the Yukon was full of tents with stoves glowing red hot in the Arctic winter.

treewater
faltbootemeister

Re: fixing the old Super - still

Post by treewater »

Okay, I found two #4 ribs in the barn. Obviously lost them for a while. I believe I now have a complete old Folbot Super made out of cast off parts. I still need the washboard clasp, but I am near the photo phase where I take pictures for proud display.
HOW DO I POST PICTURES?

ChrisO

Post by ChrisO »

Treewater,

You can either post photo's with Upload attachment function, as long as they are smaller than about 120kb, or if they are on a server insert them into the message with the Img button.

Chris O

treewater
faltbootemeister

Post by treewater »

[/img] [img]
Thanks. I get this when I click the Img box but no link to the computer, usually a search box.

chrstjrn

Post by chrstjrn »

You paste the URL in between the two bracketed groups.
Chris T.

treewater
faltbootemeister

Post by treewater »

My pictures are in the computer. No URL site.

chrstjrn

Post by chrstjrn »

Upload them to Picasa, Flickr, or whatever. Make sure the permissions are wide open. Then you have a URL to work with.
Chris T.

Return to “Folbots”