Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:55 pm 
faltbootemeister

Well, I'm not a Folbot owner and haven't been on the Folding Kayak page much these past few years, but I don't understand this thread. Folbot is out of business? Then this website is a bit confusing....

http://folbot.com/

Regardless, if they are really gone, then that's sad news.

Barry

Klepper T9 / Heise Skin
Pionier 520-Z / Heise Skin
Pouch E65

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

The front end of themain site is up, but the company is not making, servicing, or selling kayaks. If you try to make a purchase you'll get an error that "store.folbot.com" is not responding.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:46 am 
faltbootemeister

Got it, thanks for clarifying that. Sad news indeed. Looks like people are spending too much time on their cellular devices and on social media to get outside and enjoy the real world in full HD and surround sound.... for free.

Thanks,

Barry

Klepper T9 / Heise Skin
Pionier 520-Z / Heise Skin
Pouch E65

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:58 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I just thought I'd check in with this thread to see if there have been any developments. It's been over 6 mos since Folbot suspended operations. The web site status is unchanged. The front page with model descriptions is still up, but the store link is still out.

If something doesn't happen within the next few months or so, is it likely Folbot will ever return? Has anyone heard anything?

'I actually read the Bible quite frequently. Can I tell you why? I stay in a lot of hotels. And I like to scare my kids before bed.' Jon Stewart

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:01 pm 
faltbootemeister

Nope
No change
Nothing new
Except that Feathercraft has also bit the dust
Sad
2016 - such a bad year in so many ways

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:20 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

flatwater wrote:
Nope
No change
Nothing new
Except that Feathercraft has also bit the dust
Sad
2016 - such a bad year in so many ways

Yeah. I hate to write this, but in the next decade or so it seems likely production folders will be all but non-existent. I would guess you'd either have it made by a custom builder or else make it yourself. We'll see...

'I actually read the Bible quite frequently. Can I tell you why? I stay in a lot of hotels. And I like to scare my kids before bed.' Jon Stewart

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:32 am 
recent arrival

Apologies that I'm late to the thread, I've been hoping against hope that this Folbot thing was temporary. This is my first post to the board, I think, though I may have been here years ago.

I first came into Folbot because of Deiter (I think that was his name) at the old Klepper store in Union Square, NYC. I wanted a Klepper desperately, couldn't afford one, I guess I made something of a nuisance of myself at that store, always looking at the Aerius boats that I couldn't afford. But Dieter seemed to love to talk, and I worked in the neighborhood. One day he let it slip that there were other folding boat companies. This was back before the internet, I had no idea. I started asking around ... FOLBOT! I had heard the name from somewhere deep in my youth. I found their number, days later I had a brochure, nearly half the price of the Klepper models, and without all the wood. I ordered a Greenlander II a few days later, I could afford that.

My life opened up with that Folbot, I paddled the heck out that little gal, it was back in the days in NYC where very few people paddled in the East River and Hudson, the police were called regularly on me, apparently people in the apartment thought I looked like a capsize. I folded and unfolded that Greenlander so much, it eventually needed a refit, which Folbot did nominally.

Eventually I bought the Aleut, that suited me better when I liked to paddle solo, and I gave the tandem to my sister, she still has it, needs to fix the zipper. I still have my Aleut, it does need some repair, but it paddle fine. I lived in Colorado now, took my son out in it.

I assumed that Folbot would always be part of my life, my son's life, I was going to buy him a Citibot. I had no idea the company was sold. In my misery, I had long experiments with my own little folding boats. I was inspired by Oru actually making money with their model, so I did a Kickstarter for Backpack Barge, about 14 people backed it, a little 8 lbs. folding box boat made of corrugated plastic for about $200. I didn't make money on it, but it felt great to do what the folks at Folbot did. It works fine for flat water, but it isn't the open ocean boat like my old Folbot. I used to take that gal into NY Harbor and beyond, that Aleut never failed me.

I'm hoping to gradually improve the Backpack Barge, give it a better shape, make it track better, give it a deck cover, make a sailing rig for it. I had started on it years ago, but when I saw that Oru made some success out of their's I decided to get it going again. It will never be a Folbot. It seems of all them, Nautiraid, Feathercraft, Folbot and Klepper, only Klepper remains, (though it seems it might still be possible to get a Nautiraid.) I guess it helps to sell things at a higher price. And I think that Long Haul's Klepper clone is a good boat.

Anyway, the point of my long post ... Folbot is apparently gone for good, but it was a lifestyle that launched a thousand projects, and improved tens of thousands of lives. While I'm sad that the legend became a victim of typical short-term profit taking, I'm also proud and happy to have been a part of it when it was great.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:17 pm 
forum fanatic

Appears as though the Folbot website has finally gone away as well. Nautiraid is still making kayaks in France. I believe Chesapeake Light Craft is importing Nautiraid's with the wooden frames. I do not want a wooden framed kayak at this point. Trak is still around as well.

I am very interested in Nautiraid at this point, but no examples nearby.

HoosierPaddler
GIIx2, Kodiak, Edisto, Citibot

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:19 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

If you look at the Nautiraid website, you'll see that the Narak 460 and 550 singles are also made with Aluminium/ HDPE frames for those who prefer that

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:07 am 
faltbootemeister

Yes, Eric has let the folbot.com registration lapse.
So the website is gone as well.
If he ever tries to resurrect Folbot he'll have to start from scratch, website and all.
The facebook page is still there but activity is down to nothing as well.
RIP Folbot - and Feathercraft. :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:58 am 
forum fanatic

Anyone in the Charleston area hear any more details concerning Folbot's "folding" last year? Someone was asking me about buying and restarting Folbot. We had been talking again about all the things truly necessary to resuming production (patterns, forms, jigs) that did not appear in the auction.

Hoosier Paddler
GIIx2, Kodiak, Edisto, Citibot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:39 am 
faltbootemeister

If your contact is truly interested in resurrecting Folbot, try contacting Phil Cotton in Charleston.

Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:21 pm 
faltbootemeister

Actually you should contact Eric Thome. He's the last owner and I'll bet he still has the patterns and most of the other specialty items.
When I looked through all the pictures from the auction I saw no patterns or jigs. No air powered tools. No sewing machines. And much more not visible.
He still holds the patents so he could restart the company any time there was money to do so.
If somebody wants to buy it, I'll bet he'd sell.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:38 pm 
paddler

With just a little research I see (in my opinion) a number of reasons for closing,. More diffcult travelling with bagged boats, but I think that's a minor excuse. A slow economy turning into a depression, a close second to the 1930s. A very difficult situation keeping manufacturing in this country, high taxes here and costly labor. But the biggest thing I see for Folbot was in the catalog, far too many products. Henry Ford had it right with the Model T.
- one model and one color. I'd stick with the GII (not knowing what the big seller was), one version, one color, no factory options, built on an assembly line where productively can be measured and innovations introduced. I found, correct or not, they were building less then 300 toward the end. I said no options, but I would licence others to provide accessories, sort of like Ford did. And of course a dealer network and or big box sports retailers would help, but there the price leaving the factory would have to allow for their mark up - meaning volume

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6