Rudder pedals for GII

Moderators: mje, krudave

fullbot138

Rudder pedals for GII

Post by fullbot138 »

Hi Folboters. I've been doing a few outings in my Folbot GII and recently did a few days of offshore paddle-sailing. A weakness in my boat is the rudder pedals. They're a bit stiff and I generally don't like them. My pedal kit is an after-market upgrade that was included with my second-hand boat. It's a nice setup, and allegedly works better than the stock pedeals but they're not great for long trips.

They're plastic pedals sliding on plastic rails so they've not surprisingly become wobbly and sticky with age. In fact on the last trip I ended with a cramped foot that didn't relax for a few days. Clearly not what I want to be paddling with long term. See attached what they look like. You can clearly see the abrasion around the left pedal (on top).

Can anyone suggest a really good rudder pedal upgrade kit? Something that will be reliable for years to come? Where should I order it? Ideally I can just replace the plastic rail part and not the metal frame on which it's mounted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chrstjrn
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Re: Rudder pedals for GII

Post by chrstjrn »

Welcome, 138. Please remember to post an introduction in the intro section.
Chris T.
~'91 Klepper A2 w/ BSD schooner rig.
'64 Klepper Passat/Tradewind and T12 restoration projects.
Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

HoosierPaddler
forum fanatic

Post by HoosierPaddler »

Hello. Although I have at least 3 sets of pedals for various Folbots, including GII, I've never used them. I would have to say though, how the cable seems to be looped around doesn't seem correct. Hopefully someone will post a picture of their setup.

I never use the rudders, I don't want to carry the extra weight. Since I've never had issues keeping the kayaks from going straight, and if it is windy enough that I would need one, I probably wasn't going to paddle in that much wind anyway.

fullbot138

Post by fullbot138 »

HoosierPaddler wrote:Hello. Although I have at least 3 sets of pedals for various Folbots, including GII, I've never used them. I would have to say though, how the cable seems to be looped around doesn't seem correct. Hopefully someone will post a picture of their setup.
I keep the cable loosly looped while in storage. I just pulled them out of the bag for the photo. I use rudder pedals because I like them and also because I sail my boat. You really need pedals when sailing, and I suppose that's a lot of the reason I've worn out my pedals - I'm always correcting for the varying yaw moment of the sail.

flatwater
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by flatwater »

The pedal system in your picture is the most common. All the ones I've seen are plastic running on plastic. You can use any number of lubricants to make them run smoother. Lithium grease is the choice in many industries for plastic-on-plastic.

If you're interested, here are two versions of Dave Kruger's original "Tall Man Mod" from the old Folbot Forum.
http://jeeps-folbots-etc.co.nf/folbot/m ... s_gii.html
http://jeeps-folbots-etc.co.nf/folbot/m ... odiak.html
Unfortunately, they use parts that are no longer available as Folbot has ceased operation.
If you are good at internet searching, you can find the needed components and fab your own system.
Tubing is easy. The snap-buttons are readily available in various sizes.
The swivel sockets will be harder to find but they are out there.
Five Folbots - Super TSF, two GIIs, Kodiak, Gremlin

fullbot138

Post by fullbot138 »

Thanks, @flatwater. I'd not see that "Tall Man Conversion" before. I like it. My boat actually came with a brand-new pair of Edisto foot pedals. I recall the former owner telling me something about his plans for a new rudder system and I guess it's this. I'll give it a try.

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

Flatwalker. This looks like a good way to deal with the ever lasting problem about how to better the rudder peddles. As this idea is used on my Triak i should have tried to make a similar system for my Yukon and Kleppers. I am sure i have seen these type of parts for sale, it,s just a matter of looking. This is what i was hoping for, that some very experienced Folboters would join and share your knowledge.

Return to “Folbots”