Additional deck bungees on a Folbot

Moderators: mje, krudave

fullbot138

Additional deck bungees on a Folbot

Post by fullbot138 »

Hi folding paddlers. I've been doing some expeditions with my folbot and have been dealing with a limitation for a while - a limitation of deck bungees. By older GII has only a single deck bungee on the front. The current Fobot GII listed on the Folbot website has double crossed bungees front and back and a perimeter line. That's what I'd like to have on my boat. Please see attached images for comparison.

Has anyone tried to add additional deck bungees to their boat? Looking at the boat it seems like it should be possible to sew additional bungees to the deck. I wouldn't do it myself, but I think a decent cobbler should be able to do it.

The stock bungee attachment on my boat is folded into the nylon/hypalon seam and sewn in. I'd rather not disrupt this current seam. Maybe I could fold a patch of hypalon over the edge and glue it in place, as well as sewing it to the upper deck.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HoosierPaddler
forum fanatic

Re: Additional deck bungees on a Folbot

Post by HoosierPaddler »

Hello,

I believe the sponson sleeve/tube is right along that hull/deck seam. I don't believe you could easily put something along that seam. A better option would be to sew the loop farther up the hull, away from that seem. Another option would be to get a hold of some adhesive hypalon d-ring or towing patches. This might be the far easier option, no seamstress required. Many marine stores online stock these, possibly in physical stores as well. I believe it is still possible to find the d-ring patches in a gray or black. Whether it exactly matches colors is an open question.

HoosierPaddler
GIIx2, Kodiak, Edisto, Cooper, Edisto

RangerTim
faltbootemeister

Post by RangerTim »

We have a 1999 Aleut with 5 D-rings per side. We like 7, the better for stowing Balogh akas and mast sections. We just missed having Folbot add D-rings but alas Folbot has ceased production, at least for now. Phil Cotton, a previous owner of the company, seemed to think we could open the seam ourselves to install D-rings. I'm not so sure.

I have seen photos of a GII with river raft D-rings glued to the hull. I'm not a fan of that approach. Getting anything to adhere to Hypalon is not easy, at least not easy for me. That said I have been using gel-type super glue with some success to reattach hull rub strips. This is a fairly recent trial. I would like more time on the water to see if the glue holds up. A friend with a Feathercraft has been using this technique for years.

A friend with a GII had a deck tear. An awning company did a bang-up repair job with a fabric patch. We might look in that direction for D-ring installation. I would have a D-ring, available from NRS, sewn to a fabric patch then sew the patch to the deck. Perhaps another patch on the underside of the deck to reinforce. The awning company would surely have appropriate fabric.

Another route, though spendy, would be to contact Longhaul. I'll bet they can successfully and professionally add D-rings.
Ann and me
Folbots: Too many. It's embarrassing.
Feathercraft: Aeronaut
Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

fullbot138

Post by fullbot138 »

RangerTim wrote:A friend with a GII had a deck tear. An awning company did a bang-up repair job with a fabric patch. We might look in that direction for D-ring installation. I would have a D-ring, available from NRS, sewn to a fabric patch then sew the patch to the deck. Perhaps another patch on the underside of the deck to reinforce. The awning company would surely have appropriate fabric.
Thanks, RangerTim. I hadn't thought about contacting an awning company. They'd be better than a cobbler because, in addition to being able to sew and glue, they should have fabric (scraps, even) to make the attachment points from.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

NRS has several styles of glue on d-rings in PVC and Hypalon, and the cement needed to bond them to your hull. Here's one:

http://www.nrs.com/product/86107.01/nrs ... -pvc-patch
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

Return to “Folbots”