Folbot super folder

Moderators: mje, krudave

joe

Folbot super folder

Post by joe »

Hello,
I am in the market for a folder. There are a couple of Greenland Ii's near about 1995 vintage, selling for about $900. Both seem to be in moderatly good shape. There is also an old super folder in apparently moderatly good shape that would cost me maybe $200. Does anyone with plenty of experience have any idea whether it would be worth buying the super? I think in the end it is only about ten pounds heavier than the Greenland. Not so bad. But, i am a little worried about possibly having to go through the trouble and expense of having to reskin her. It may be a false economy to go for the Super. Any ideas?
Thanks joe

joe

Re: Folbot super folder

Post by joe »

A useful thread if anyone else is considering used:
http://www.foldingkayaks.org/phpBB/view ... f=3&t=1028

flatwater
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by flatwater »

Any used GII, if undamaged, is worth $500 to $1,500.
Why such a wide range?
Older ones are looked down on because they have the polycarbonate crossframes and washboards (coamings). And some don't like the older seats. Neither is really an issue in the real world. The oldest GIIs still work perfectly fine.
Also there's a large difference in value between the standard model and the Expedition version. The Exp includes full rudder kit, spray deck and skirts, extra deck bungies and wilderness repair kit. That's worth a few hundred dollars.
Paddles and float bags can add value.
A sail rig can add another $500 to $1,000. The general consensus is that adding a sail rig requires the aluminum washboards.

It's all what a buyer is willing to pay.

The Super is a whole different deal.
In most cases, the skin is useable but many are too old and brittle. Re-skinning a Super is very doable and has been done by several people. Unfortunately, the gold mine of information on that topic is gone with the Folbot Forum. By the way, I've contacted people about a backup. Sadly, there is none.
The frame usually needs work as well. If all it needs is a new coat of varnish, you're lucky. Most frames have some rot. New frames can be made using the old one as a pattern.

The big difference is between rigid (TSP) and folder (TSF).
Repairing the frame on a folder is very easy as it comes apart. Making a new skin is complicated and difficult.
Frame repair on a rigid usually goes along with re-skinning which isn't as difficult as a folder.

If any old Folbot Forum members who have re-skinned a Super show up here, I hope they will post details for others to benefit by.
Five Folbots - Super TSF, two GIIs, Kodiak, Gremlin

joe

Post by joe »

flatwater,
Thanks very much for the response. Based on the thread that i noted above, i had decided not to get any of these boats. The main reason is the apparent need and associated expense and difficulty of re skinning them. From the previos thread mentionned, even a folbot from 1995 would probably need to be re skinned, if. Understood correctly.

I particularly want a folder. I already have an old rigid super, which i hardly ever use anymore. It is good information, too, about the sailing capabilities, or not, of the various models. I have a balogh sail rig on another boat that i would like to transfer over. From what you are saying, the plastic washboards won't work for this. And i cannot now upgrade to aluminum. So, it would have to be a later model.
Thanks joe

flatwater
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by flatwater »

Any GII - 1990 and newer - has a Hypalon skin which should be good for several decades..
It's only the old, vinyl skin on the Super that dies with age.
Five Folbots - Super TSF, two GIIs, Kodiak, Gremlin

Return to “Folbots”