Greenland ll sponson leak

Moderators: mje, krudave

mangoes
forum fan

Re: Greenland ll sponson leak

Post by mangoes »

Thank you for all the suggestions. I removed the sponson after determining that it isn't the valve that is leaking. It was hard to find. The leak was not noticeable until I squeezed the very end of the sponson while holding it under water. The leak is in the seam at the end of the sponson. Just a small pinhole leak where the seam is welded together and it's kind of crinkled there. I will buy some aquaseal from amazon to try to seal it. Can I just dab some of the aquaseal in and around the area where the seams join?
Once I fix the leak I'll deal with reinserting the sponson.
Mangoes

Folbot: 1998 Greenland ll

RangerTim
faltbootemeister

Post by RangerTim »

I have stopped sponson leaks with no patch, just Aquaseal. I have never had a leaky seam, just pinholes and small cracks.

Aquaseal can be hard to use on anything but a horizontal surface. When first squeezed out it resembles petroleum jelly in viscosity, but then loses viscosity and some of a small pool will run down a slope. Still, I prefer it to vinyl cement I have used. My vinyl cement seemed to weaken the vinyl to make a bond. Aquaseal does not.

I have used Aquaseal with spare Folbot deck fabric as a patch over an abraded deck area. The Aquaseal did not want to adhere to the patch for many minutes. Every couple of minutes or so I would push the patch back down into the Aquaseal. As the cure process progressed, eventually the patch stuck and stuck well. Adding cotol (Aquaseal with a bottle of cotol is sold as a kit) will reduce cure time but will also reduce viscosity. If toluene is sold in your state, that can be used as a cure accelerant as well. I have not tried using a vinyl patch, say from a shower curtain, on a sponson.

I was just experimenting, again, with reinserting a vinyl sponson. I discovered that gravity can be helpful. I draped the skin over our deck railing, which is 10' above ground. Pushing the sponson into the sleeve became much easier than when I was doing it with the skin flat on the floor.
Ann and me
Folbots: Too many. It's embarrassing.
Feathercraft: Aeronaut
Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

mangoes
forum fan

Post by mangoes »

RangerTim, thanks for your information. I'll try the aquaseal as soon as it arrives from Amazon and test it for leaks again after it sets up. I'm hoping that plugs the leak. Then I'll see how easily the sponson goes back in the sleeve. I may have to have my husband stand on a chair to get the necessary gravity feed you suggest. LOL :D I'll let you know how it goes.
Mangoes

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

The method i used is in the repair section, it is simple and it worked well inserting the sponsons in a klepper A2.

mangoes
forum fan

Post by mangoes »

Success!! Thanks for all the information and advice on repairing my Greenland sponson leak. The aquaseal seems to be working fine (it will receive a more vigorous testing this summer to see how well it holds up). The leak was in the welded seam at the bow end, a small hole where the seam was coming unwelded. I worked the aquaseal into the hole between the seam with a toothpick, then applied more aquaseal around it on the outside of the seam. For reinserting the sponson, I used a long piece of quarterround molding as the handle for pushing the sponson in, taping the end so it was smooth and wouldn't puncture it. The method on the Folbot video didn't work for me either--my old sponson wouldn't slide along the handle. So I folded the sponson over the handle about 6 inches and pushed it into the sleeve, being careful it didn't twist as I inserted it (I think it would have also worked well to use velcro too as someone suggested instead of folding it, but I didn't want to go to the trouble of putting a patch on if I didn't have to). I pushed it until it was almost to the end of the sleeve, then put my hand into the sleeve opening at the bow (this is where it's really handy to have a greenland with a zippered deck to undo and allow access) and grabbed the folded part of the sponson pulling it straight and smoothing it out. Then I removed the handle and pulled the sponson back into place so that the valve was at the proper place in the middle of the kayak. I repeated with the stern end. I'm glad that the sleeve has an opening at each end to reach into. It wasn't too bad of job. :D
Mangoes

RangerTim
faltbootemeister

Post by RangerTim »

Yippee! It's always good to hear a success story.
Ann and me
Folbots: Too many. It's embarrassing.
Feathercraft: Aeronaut
Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

Return to “Folbots”