Folbot Super find/advice

Moderators: mje, krudave

brdog42

Folbot Super find/advice

Post by brdog42 »

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I found a Folbot Super locally. What do I look for?

1. I will be kayaking recreationally on small lakes. Maybe 3-4 times per year. (Hopefully much more) A two seater is preferable as I'm married and have two high school age daughters. I've kayaked in Hawaii and San Diego. I'd like to build a wooden one someday, but not for a while. I'm a woodworker and can make some descent furniture. I'm familiar with waterproofing wood with spar varnish. So... I have some skills, but kayaks are new to me. I do like the idea of a folder for easier of transportation vs a roof rack.

2. I've found a Folbot Super locally. The owner said he refurbished it about 20 years ago when he bought it. He got a new skin from Folbot at that time and new paddles. It has a sail kit, rudder, wooden bulkheads and AL tube stringers. Plus waterproof bags. It looks very good in the photos, but I haven't seen it in person. I don't want to waste the owners time unless I'm serious. But I don't know what I'm looking for with respect to condition. How long do the skins last? How can I tell how good the skin is? I think the price is in the $500 or less range. I know Folbot is defunct, so replacing the skin could be a pain. What price range do these things go for?

3. Thanks in advance for any help sent my way. I currently reading as much as I can on this site. The members seem real nice, too. :-)

Tim

flatwater
knight of the folding kayak realm

Re: Folbot Super find/advice

Post by flatwater »

OK, for starters, he did not get a new Super skin from Folbot 20 years ago. Maybe 25 years ago or more, just before Hurricane Hugo trashed the factory. There were no usable parts left after that.
Folbot stopped making the Super in 1989.
In 1990 they brought out the Greenland II with Hypalon skin and aluminum and polycarbonate frame.
So
If it truly is a Super, and a folder to boot, AND with a sail kit, it's well worth the $500 even if the skin isn't the greatest.
The Super skin was vinyl and they tend to dry out and get brittle with age. Depends mostly on storage conditions and how much sun exposure.
Go see it. Touch it. If the skin is still flexible, then even if it has little holes or tears, they can be fixed. A dried out skin can't really be fixed. And there is no source for a folder skin. You'd have to make your own. You can pick the old skin apart and use it as patterns for the new skin.

We have assembly instructions for the folding Super and info that will help with the rudder and sail rig.
Unless it's a worn out, rotten wreck, it's worth the money.

Can you post the source of photos of the boat? Pictures would help us help you.
Five Folbots - Super TSF, two GIIs, Kodiak, Gremlin

brdog42

Post by brdog42 »

Thank a lot for the reply. Here's a link to the ad.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/5496188808.html

If the shell is not seaworthy, what does it cost to replace - ballpark?

We have a tent and awning company here. The can order about any fabric. And if I gave them the shell, they'd have no difficulty sewing a new one.

Tim

flatwater
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by flatwater »

WOW!
Run, don't walk.
Go buy that boat.
Unless the lower hull is dried and brittle it's a steal at twice the price.
It looks really good.
Five Folbots - Super TSF, two GIIs, Kodiak, Gremlin

brdog42

Post by brdog42 »

Thank you very much for your help.

Tim

brdog42

Post by brdog42 »

It "just sold" before I could get there. Was for sale for a while. Maybe I shouldn't have posted the link on this site?

Thanks,

Tim

Return to “Folbots”